Reviews for Winner
LupeLei chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
I love your stories. I have been working my way through your whole collection. Thank you so much for continuing to post them.
TraSan chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
It was pure genius the entire way through but this:

"Hey." Sam looked up at him and got an unusually gentle smile. It soon widened into a grin. "This mean we agree? I'm the better hunter?"

Sam gave him an exasperated look. "You didn't win, either, Dean, remember?" At the continued smug look, he threw up his hands. "Fine. 'Most conceited,' okay? I'll give you that."

"Best looking," Dean countered, yawning. He looked exhausted, but Sam knew this did him as much good as sleep.

He crossed his arms. "Shortest."

"Most charming."

"Most full of it."

Dean's smirk grew with every exchange. "Luckiest," he crowed, then canted his eyebrows in a beat that challenge.

Sam opened his mouth, shut it again.

"Uh-huh." Dean pointed at him. "See?"

"Right," Sam drawled, oddly irritated. "Because you were so lucky to get scratched right before you went into hiding."

"I had you to figure it out in time, right?" Dean said, undeterred.

We could always bet on something else," Dean continued drowsily behind him. "Scavenger hunt? Tackle football?"

"Pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey." Sam peeled back the lid and filled the cup with hot water from the sink.

"Hmm." But it was less a grumble than a sigh. Sam turned back. Dean was already asleep, his face drawn without its earlier animation. He was getting better. Not quite there yet, but getting better.

Sam set the soup aside and crept back to the beds, doing the quick check he'd wanted to before but knew Dean wouldn't tolerate: pulse, temperature, bandage. Satisfied, he eased two of the bunched pillows out from under his brother so Dean could turn back on his stomach in sleep, and replaced the slipped covers. He stood there a moment before giving the sleeper a small smile.

"Second luckiest," Sam murmured.

Gave me the biggest kick, the largest aw, the best and most warm fuzzy bunnies I've had in quite some time.

Harvey and I thank ye kindly. :)

Just great.

Hey - please do keep us informed of the details. I'd bid on authors in this fandom. We've got some great ones!
bhoney chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
I really loved this story when I first read it in the zine, so I'm glad to get a chance to leave a review.

Very intriguing idea, and well done. I could totally see the boys entering into a competition like this. And of course, things going horribly wrong. It just wouldn't be SN if things went right. ;)

Loved that Sam saw the book Dean had been reading in the library, and thought of him.

Loved this insight: "Strategy had always been one of his brother's gifts. Strong where I am weak." That's really why they're such a great team-each is stong where the other's weak.

And I have to love a desperate, protective Sam, taking down the creature alone to save Dean. And this sentiment: "Don't get me wrong—I would've broken every federal and state law along with most of the Ten Commandments to find you, let alone some stupid rules we made up, but that doesn't mean I won the bet." Glad Sam realized too, what losing the bet would mean to Dean.

Loved the banter at the end, and Sam's realization that he really won what was most important, his brother's life. Very nice! Another for the faves list!

And please do let us know more about the auction, I'd be interested in bidding on something.
jp123 chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
great story,thanks
Vanessa Sgroi chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Oh, a story based on one of my favorite Starsky & Hutch episodes! And you did an amazingly wonderful job with it too. This was a great, great read. As are all of yours...
Enkidu07 chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
I loved it. Amazing story. I don't remember that epi of starsky and hutch... i will have to review my dvds :) I was terrified for Sam. To have that knowledge and not be able to make Dean listen. my favorite line: Desperation made him fast, and rage made him strong.

Such a colorful and vibrant description. I probably read that sentence over about 7 times before I could move on.
Maz101 chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Another great story. You do find interesting ways of testing those boys. Like always, nothing wasted, just utterly complete and satisfying.
Visionairy chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Wow, that was great! I like the way you cover all the choices the guys would have made here. I couldn't think of anything else Sam could have done to try to get Dean to listen. You also do a great job with the subtleties, "Stanford had given Sam the perspective to appreciate the absurdity of discussing vampires versus werewolves in a cheerful red-vinyl diner's booth, over pancakes and coffee. He wondered sometimes if Dean ever saw it."

And you clearly explained both their motivations for taking part in the competition. Wonderful story! Thanks so much for posting it, and I can't wait for your next update - and info on your fic auction.
NC Girl chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
As a child of the 70s, Starsky and Hutch was a favorite show of mine at the time. I remember the episode you refer to fairly well so I was really delighted to see that this was your Supernatural spin on it. And, once again, you didn't disappoint! It was definitely, 100% SN, though-through and through. You always nail the dialogue and the banter and usually make me laugh out loud at least once in every story (mostly with Dean’s dialogue). This time, it was this line: "There better be a really good party at the other end of this hangover." Just as you always manage to pull the heartstrings with every story. In this case, it was the “Second luckiest” ending that got me.

Thank you for posting this and for the subtle 70s flashback!
PADavis chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Second luckiest. Beautiful build up and delivery. I watched S&H when I was a pup and loved it - guess the whole buddy thing is genetic in some of us - but I can't imagine watching an episode now. This however, almost makes me consider it. LOL.

SalchanTheWitch chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Are you by any chance a fan of Starsky and Hutch? Great story.
alphabet chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Oh, boys! This was great, Sam and Dean were so in-character in both the big and little things. I loved Sam getting to save Dean for once. Great job.
Mockingbyrd chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
i am intrigued by the auction and definitely interested. Please let me know the details and such as they arise. chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Great fic! The boys should know well enough by now that things go awry when they split up, especially during a hunt! Trust their brotherly competitiveness to get the better of them and distract them from the matter in hand!

Loved how Sam guessed Dean's first two 'hides' just talking over the phone to his brother, prompting him to go to the library!

And so got Sam's desperation with the hospital call when he realised his brother's scratch was serious - trust Dean to wonder if Sam was being sneaky in an attempt to win!

He may have tracked the Azeman, finding Dean and saving him from turning, but it really didn't matter who won the bet- splitting up for whatever reason is never a good idea!

As usual you had their dialogue down pat, and it was nice for Sam to be the one taking care of Dean for a change, although he could only really check on him when he was asleep because of the dreaded chick flick moments!
tanpopo no hana chapter 1 . 6/18/2008
Sometimes I just want to knock their heads together... I could have told them from the start that game was going to end in tears *g* But would they have listened? I doubt it... Stubborn mules. Good thing they have you to write a happy ending for them :)
63 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »