Reviews for Fables and the Emergent Dusk
Ghanaperu chapter 7 . 8/16/2012
The end of this is so beautiful. And the second to last paragraph is amazing. He is so wise in this story - if he lives he will only "return to his post to die another day in the name of king and country and glory and fables." But then they are sent home, and that shouldn't happen after all, which only makes his actual death on the show more sad and ironic. And poor Much, longing for home all this time only to find that war has come to Locksley as well. So sad.
But beautiful writing. You use such vivid adjectives and similies and metaphors. Your writing is amazing! And that's not flattery, it's true. You directed me here, but I already had it open, planning to read it. You were right - it is "the best" writing I've ever read, not just of yours but of everyone's. I can't say it enough - you are an amazing writer!
Ghanaperu chapter 6 . 8/16/2012
I don't know what to say. He has killed his first man. Now he understands even better the cost of war. "I can not stand the gaze. Eyes teling me of his wife, children and dreams for his future; all the things I swore not to see in the face of these foreigners." Poor Much. It's interesting that he calls them "foreigners" when he is actually the foreigner; not them. Well, I don't think there is much that can be said about this. The first kill.

Great writing, describing the emotions. It felt real.
Ghanaperu chapter 5 . 8/16/2012
Poor Much. He must be so confused. Robin changes so quickly, from King's goal to compassion, and he does not see how the two cannot mesh - as Much can. "There seems no use in reminding him that their newly precious blood coast his hands." He's right - there isn't any use because Robin will not listen. If he listens, he will have to think about it, and in thinking about it he instinctively knows that he will find his logic unreasonable. And that would bring about guilt, guilt that he would not be able stand. Somehow he know that, and so he will not listen to any challenges of his principles. Oh, Robin. And again I am sympathetic to both of them. To Robin because he is so lost and confused, and doesn't want to show it. To Much because he is trying to follow a man who is so lost and confused that he is basically running one way while pointing another. And because Robin is totally clueless as to the cost of killing men on Much. And himself, for that matter.
I think it is very much like Much to decide to live his own life, and have it last "barely a day." :) Poor Much. Well, very nice chapter, again. And a cliff-hanger! Good thing the next chapter is already up.
Ghanaperu chapter 4 . 8/16/2012
Good! He finally challenged Robin's viewpoint. Too bad it didn't work out that well. Oh, and I love the analogy of "beating him over the head with the shovel." He needs it. And I understand how kingly speeches could convince a man that their purpose is noble and just and necessary, even when common sense tells him otherwise.
Oh, and Much's doubting of his manhood. He is more of a man than Robin, although he cannot see it. I wish I could tell him that. :(
Another excellent job from you. You're amazing!
Ghanaperu chapter 3 . 8/16/2012
Wow. This chapter is so matter-of-fact and sad. War is sad, no matter where it happens. I think Much has a much better hold on the cost of war than most people. And then there is Robin's pride as evidenced here - "My master's eyes, bygone liveliness a part of the child he no longer resembles, tell me this isn't what he expected, but he is not retreating." He cannot go home, because to go home he would have to humble himself. So he will not go, not for Much,not for Marian, not for his father, not even for himself. Pride is a terrible thing. Can't he see what his choices are costing, not only himself, but also Much and Marian and his father, and even the village?! He can't. And we know he has not fully grown up yet, because he still thinks "the grass will be green, the village will be fine, and Marian will wait." It won't. Life keeps going, whether he is there or not. And that is when I begin to feel sympathy for him as well, for his naivety that is about to be ruined.
Okay, sorry for the rant. I really like this chapter too. Great job.
Ghanaperu chapter 2 . 8/16/2012
Ah, another excellent chapter. May I say, I love his reasoning about the girl's shoe in the pig pen. It just sounds like Much, always exaggerating. I feel especially sorry for him in this chapter, seeing his worries about fighting in the Holy Land and how he must go if Robin goes. Especially since I know he does end up going. Poor Much. Robin really needs to learn to think of what others have to do for him. I like Much's "plans" for dissuading Robin. He understands the way Robin thinks, but for some weird reason the Marian plan doesn't work. I would have thought it would. And I laughed at plan number three, when he decided he didn't want to work that hard. And then in plan four he thinks that making Robin stay would be worth an arm or a leg - this coming right after he has decided that it is not worth working hard enough for plan three. But he did decide not to do that...I'm glad. And Robin would be too, if he knew. :) Well, I'm really trying not to comment on every single line, so let it suffice to say that I loved this chapter as much as the first one. Oh, and great last line. :)
Ghanaperu chapter 1 . 8/16/2012
Wow. This is amazing so far. Within like the first paragraph, I saw a sentence that I was like, "oh, I should quote this in my review and say how amazing it was" Then I saw another, and another, and another and I decided you probably didn't need me to quote your whole story back to you. But really, pretty much every sentence is amazing, the kind that most authors have about once or twice per chapter, if that! I can't skim this and get the gist of it - it requires that I read every sentence, because every sentence is saying something. That's great. You're amazing, and I can't wait to read the rest of this.
Anway, to be at least slightly specific, I like the way you show us Much's thoughts here. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have known such big words, but it sounds so beautiful and insightful that I don't mind his extensive vocabulary. We learn a good deal about Robin from him, and some about Marian too. I love how the slightly ironic references to Robin as a nobleman and Marian as a lady. Because although that is what they are when we first meet them, they are far from dignified , really. Especially Robin, but Marian is not far behind. It's really easy to sympathize with Much in this chapter. Having to follow Robin, even when he knows the plan isn't going to work. And I like the part where he wonders when it became his job to think of excuses. :) Well, I better stop or I am going to end up quoting the whole thing, just like I said I wouldn't. Great first chapter.
JAGNikJen chapter 3 . 9/18/2009
"Robin failed to put faith in such arithmetic, still an enemy to sums of any shape."

Not only the gift of prose, but of humor.

"Who can turn these nineteen year old elders back into innocents?"

And heartbreak.

Oh, my...

Felineyx chapter 7 . 8/23/2009
I love this. The way Much is portrayed here - more as an individual with his own thoughts and opinions - is something I haven't seen particularly, and I like it. Most stories set around their time at war involve Much hero-worshipping Robin and here he doesn't.

The way some things are worded is also amazing. There are two lines in particular that I like because they just fit so perfectly.

All in all, a very good job.
Hidden Relevance chapter 7 . 4/14/2009
Oh man.. you really really did fantastically on this one my dear.. I can definitely picture this scrapgrace noble boy growing up into this disillusioned warrior.. and his irritable and utterly loyal servant forced to live through it all..

Are you going to continue this or do you think it's done? Either way it is lovely!
Questfan chapter 7 . 3/2/2009
Oh you were so right! I had to come and read this one. Where do I start? Just managing to write such a long narrative from one person's point of view is a feat in itself. Not having any dialogue or character interaction makes it a hard job. Well done!

There were so many funny bits in the midst of such despair that I just laughed out loud. Suicide by bread and water! Robin being "misplaced" for 2 days. Non-singing worms! This could have been a thoroughly depressing read but you changed the mood just enough with these little snippets of Much's sarcasm.

I love the way you showed the progression of character development for both of them as their circumstances brought about inevitable changes. I wonder how many young boys have gone off to war with stars in their eyes, only to be confronted with its ugliness and contradictions.

Again - well done!
Dina C chapter 7 . 9/20/2008
Thanks, Z, for the mention in your author's note. That was kind of you. Your writing deserves the best reviews, so I try to oblige! ;-) This was a beautiful, serene chapter. I enjoyed the peek at Much's memories of attending his grandmother's death bed, wretched as that was. As always, you inject some great humor into even the most melancholy musings. Loved the bit about explaining sewing to chickens, and the bit about Much's singing voice. It seems that Much has arrived at a place where he sees Robin for both the good and the bad in his character, and he accepts him and loves him for who he is.

I was glad to see that even in his fevered sleep, Robin hasn't forgotten Marian. Thanks for a great chapter to read!
Glorious Clio chapter 7 . 9/19/2008
I simply adore this story. It's so vivid and insightful. Absolutely beautifuly, despite the horrendous circumstances dear Much finds himself in.

Thank you.
hoodie622 chapter 7 . 9/19/2008
Zaedah - so glad that you returned to the fandom for this story. Did you always have this line - "The cycle of war begins anew with each traitorous dawn, which has made me a greater ally to dusk," - in mind when you wrote the title or did it come to you later. Either way it is amazingly effective.

I love the voice you've given to Much in this story. Though he has so many characteristics on the show that would make him seem the "village idiot," I much prefer the thoughtful Much of your story. He is a strong and excellent man, loyal friend, and good fighter, and you've done the character a great justice here.

You've also done a great job exploring Robin through his eyes. I think it is one of the best ways to learn something about a character - to see him/her through another's POV.

I shall miss this story. Thank you for such a wonderful read!
Marjatta chapter 7 . 9/19/2008
Amazing as always, Zaedah. There's no point in picking out "favorite" passages because each sentence is a charmer. Well, I have to add that I love your humor. This was Much-inspired genius: " I think perhaps I chose the wrong profession, for surely I could kill patients as effortlessly as this cretin." It makes me very happy to read a rendition of Much that not only doesn't treat him like a clown but gives him a bountiful supply of wisdom as well.