Reviews for The Orphans
hiccup-mikey-robin chapter 3 . 10/13/2014
Actually, in the 2007 movie deleted opening scene, it was implied that Mikey funded the majority of the family's expenses while Leo was gone. He kept on pleading to Don that he doesn't to be Cowabunga Carl anymore. Don wasn't really a bad bro, they just needed the money. Though, I feel bad for Mikey having watched that deleted clip.
hiccup-mikey-robin chapter 2 . 10/13/2014
hiccup-mikey-robin chapter 1 . 10/13/2014
Nice Chapter 1 Ending.
FioraThePendragon chapter 7 . 8/21/2013
Type your review for this chapter here...
Anesther chapter 7 . 12/22/2009
I really want to try writing TMNT now-you're really awe-inspiring for this fandom!-but I think I'll leave it the ones who've known it longer. XD

This was sad; not just sad and melancholy, but it seemed almost hopeful with Mikey's smile at the end. Rather bitter-sweet.

I can't wait till you update further! Till more, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to you!
Anesther chapter 6 . 12/22/2009
Aside from this review, I AM now speechless.
Anesther chapter 5 . 12/22/2009
On a lighter note, that always puzzled me too. Where DOES the money go...?

Raphael's perspective is just wonderful. I mean... WOW. I was rendered almost speechless.
Anesther chapter 4 . 12/22/2009
Now... I just want to BAWL.

All of it was so gloomy and the choice of your words rather enhanced the atmosphere. "Insects collected around those lights, seeking release from the unbearable humidity through suicide, perhaps." This sentence really struck me; oddly enough, it kinda made me cringe internally from the awe of it.

Mikey breaking down and Raphael's sensitivity leaking out just stabbed me. In a good way, it was painful and endearing simultaneously.

"Raph didn't wait up till dawn for Leo. He waited up till dawn for Michelangelo." Powerful. Sweet. Heart-wrenching... *gets a tissue*
Anesther chapter 3 . 12/22/2009
Crycry is incredibly gifted. I don't know her personally, but watching her work got me into finding your stories. And I'm drinking them all in!

Now this was an incredibly interesting one; being a Raphael fan, of course everyone else, at times, to me is abstained involuntarily. But this opened my eyes to the world Don now has to face. The angst and pain for all of them was so moving, I thought I might cry. -sigh- Poor Donatello... Poor them. :(
Anesther chapter 2 . 12/22/2009
If it wasn't for the humour, I probably would be shaking my head in sympathy for them.

"Hey Raph, what's the one thing you want more than anything else?"

"A middle finger."

That just cracked me up! The things Mikey says is just adorable. But I get the feeling his lighthearted antics might dwindle soon.
Anesther chapter 1 . 12/22/2009
That was so upsetting...

I can tell this is going to be exciting and angst-ridden. I love the new movie a lot so it's great seeing a master put her share into it. ;)
Skye Crystal chapter 3 . 12/10/2008
Damn it. I'm so so so so sorry being late like this. I know i've been.. like... gone for a long time. i don't know why. I coudl'nt explain clearly. TMNT's obsession decreasing, moving every month for job and stuff, lack of organisation... all at once. But i didn't forget. I don't like feeling like if I gave up, like if i didn't care anymore. Because I do. Okay I must admit that TMNT is not my top-1 fandom right now, because, I work on "cycles", something like that. Maybe after one year and a half of fanart I wanted something else. Though i've got some few projects again with them, and I love them as much as I can. I love them for 18 years, why should I stop, after all? That's just my mind is focused on others things. But they are still part of me, and your are still one of my favorite author. I still keep your fanfics among my books, I still read them very often, I still read "To The Rescue" every time I feel bad. So, for all this... for how much it was important in my life... I'm sorry i didn't come to speak to you for ages. Really...

I wanted to review this story your wrote for me... I've got many stories to review and few time, again (thanks christmas!), i didn't have the time to read it all... But i'll do, once i'll finish everything, i promise!

I'm listening to a song that puts me in a special mood - a perfect mood for the story, actually. It was so... heart-breaking to read how Don considers Leo's death. "Accidents happen. People overlook things. People die."

yes, Donnie. These are facts. But what are facts when it touches you so cruelly? It's your own brother. It's your own loss. And no matter how many people die outside, your is always the most important for you. It hurted me to see him trying to take it so... I don't know. Pretending, in a way, it doesn't matter, because it just happens. He doesn't allow himself to really feel that sad. He can't, because he still has this hope, too. And better that way than thinking their brother gave them up, with no writing anymore. It would hurt a lot more, considering this possibility?

And so, here he is, acting like a jerk, like a bad guy. Because his fear gaves him anger, because he doesn't feel secure anymore, becaue he doesnt feel family anymore. He is pushed, or he pushes himself in a role he can't bear. Because he can't deal with his borther's emotions when his owns emotions aren't that clear. He's just... human, after all! Funny to see how giant turtles appears me like ones of the most humans fictionnals characters ever...

He needs a hand to take him out of this, they all need it. But they can't do with each others.

The last scene gave me tears in my eyes, because i... imagined this scene a lot since i saw the movie. I think i must have even written it somewhere... The door closed, the tears falling. Because it's only behind a closed door you can be yourself, you can act like a child.

Oh, all that can sound really depressive... But it's not. It just... how it was back then. And I love you for wiriting such a good Donnie. Not that cliché girly-pacifist-calm and shy turtle people want him to be, because he is not. They are all more complicated than clichés describing them !

Thanks for writing me such a beautiful story... really, thank you.
Swallowraven chapter 7 . 11/10/2008
I just read this for the first time - I'm sure I'll read it many times more. The thing that really gets me about you is that you write with such empathy for all the characters, you can really get inside their minds, and their deepest emotions and motivations. In that respect you're almost second to none.

Just a few of the things I really liked:

an' there ain't no adventures anymore, just the sound a' the damned monotony of your fucking boring life. You'd give anythin' for the days when you were somethin' besides a change machine for the family budget, makin' money so you can keep up the routine of eatin', sleepin', an' workin' for the rest a' your life. Now. You wanna ask me again why I was out last night?”

This strikes close to home for many people whose lives are exactly that. When I saw the movie, I kind of sided with Donny regarding Raph's lack of contribution to the family. Oh, just more of Raph's habitual self absorbed rebellion, only made worse by bitterness over Leo's absence - maybe he's not deliberately trying to make things harder for everyone, but he's at least indifferent to any needs but his own. Seeing it fron Raph's perspective, seeing his family sink further into monotonous misery with no purpose to thier actions except to make through to another day of the same, it's completely understandable that he decided that such a life wasn't worth it.

All of chapter 4 - Till the Dawn. It brings home the reasons behind Raph's extreme and violent reaction at Leo's return. The explanation 'well he was hurt and betrayed because Leo seemed to have adondoned them' only works for me on an intellectual level. But this scene (among others), showing the events that happened in Leo's absence, showing Raph witnessing Mikey's pain and faith and betrayal (and Raph never could stand to see Mikey in pain), makes me empathize with his bitterness and fury.

Don's scene with the old woman on the help line was like a hammer to the gut. I ached for both of them.

I could go on and on. Brilliant, beautiful job.

Oh, and by the way, just where IS all the money going?
Simone Robinson chapter 7 . 9/7/2008
please update this soon, it rocks!
KameTerra chapter 6 . 9/2/2008
I love this chapter. *sniff* I just love it. I remember seeing the first draft a while back, and the execution of this final one, the last line, the conversation with the old woman, just tugged my heart strings!