Reviews for Compass
My Solitude chapter 5 . 4/21/2014
Interesting story! I really want to play the game myself now, although this story has nothing much to do with the game itself. xD
DragonflyxParodies chapter 5 . 1/19/2014
Fierce Deity is such a smartass...x3
I really like this (these?) story(ies). Your characters are really well developed and awesome, and I love how you portrayed Link. Awesome job!
AngelicSentinel chapter 5 . 3/14/2013
I was going through my favorites, rereading a few, and I realized that I never added this one to them, which is a shame. Another shame is I've never reviewed, and it's time to rectify this little oversight, because you deserve as much review love as this little corner of the internet has to offer. This piece is brilliant and well-thought out, and I consider it a must-read.

First, the decision to write in present tense was stunning. I love how it adds immediacy to the piece. You also use a lot of commas and semicolons to connect, adding flow and connectivity. It works very well, considering the connectivity between Link and the masks. The way the reader can experience it all with Link is one of the major immersion points. I don't think it would be half so compelling written in past tense.

Second, the symbolism of the compass points and the spirits of the masks interacting with Link. You only ever see it in game with the cases of Darmani and Mikau, and even then it's not explored in much depth. You build on it magnificently, and there is something incredibly touching about the Deku Scrub and his declaration of "I'm home." You can really feel him. And his name is adorable.

I'm curious about the Deku tree statement. I admit, it's been a while since I read Masquerade, and I don't think I've read the others in the series, but Link would know there are Deku trees, right? Seeing as how he was left in the Kokiri forest with one in Ocarina. And if they put down roots and grow when they "die," how is the one in Ocarina sentient? Does that mean all dead Deku are sentient? And the Deku Sprout looks more like a tree than a scrub. Is it just Oakin being unclear? A little clarification there would help. Either way, it's an interesting origin for them.

Third, you capture the spirit and themes of the game perfectly. A little haunting and a little bittersweet, as time passes, it changes everything. One feels the loss. And you can loop it, slow it, speed it up, go back and erase it, shift within it, but you can never stop it. It just flows on, inexorable.

Fourth, you have an exceptional handle on believable characterization. I've always liked to think of Time Link as the drifter kind of hero, because that is in essence what he does. He wanders in, saves the day, and then moves on. Oakin as the excited little child, Darmani as the old sage, stone warrior, bearing loads of wisdom. Mikau, ever fun loving, but wise in his way, the ambiguity of the Deity...I can totally see it. And better yet, believe it.

Thank you for sharing and writing in a space that has very little fandom love.
Kitsune chapter 5 . 3/11/2013
Had to go to your lj to read the one about the living wood but that's beside the point. First I have to say I just love this concept especially THIS Link. And only Link just like in the games. If you ever do continue this would you mind setting an encounter for this Link and Ghirahim? I mean he is called the Hero of Time so I just think it would be amusing what this, I guess you can say tarnished(?) hero, would do as opposed to Skyward Sword's Link. Assuming of course that the series isn't one long continuity. And because apparently there are Doors of Time everywhere that with Link traveling around he's bound to run into one sooner than later. Really wish though that more people explored the idea about Link and the masks like you do. Can't wait for more!
Belinda Star Sabrina Maxwell chapter 5 . 8/26/2012
You really inspire me, I haven't written a zelda fanfic since I quit role playing as my OC Ice Link, but after reading your stories I want to write one again!
nashinashi chapter 5 . 6/25/2012
Love this! I really enjoyed seeing Link interact with all his masks. And I especially enjoyed the chapter in the Stone Temple; it was full of atmosphere and thoughtfulness. Thanks for writing and sharing!
Viviane Renard chapter 5 . 6/8/2012
Great story! I like how, during the Fierce Deity's turn, what he really wants to do is watch *Link* enjoy the festival. It's a great contrast from all the other masks; unlike the other masks, the Fierce Deity doesn't know the concept of "having fun." In order to enjoy the freedom that Link is offering (in a non-violent way), he has to relinquish control back to Link in order to live vicariously through him.
IntravenousDollhouse chapter 5 . 12/2/2011
This story is beautiful.
Ryuus2 chapter 5 . 1/8/2011
It's amazing how a game, a series like the Zelda series can be so simple, and yet have so much depth. I just love reading stories that delve into Link and the worlds around him.

I greatly enjoyed this and await Link's next adventure under your pen.

Keep up the great work!
fan-fan31 chapter 5 . 1/3/2011
You know, I haven't read a truly contemplative piece of literature in a long time. And I found this one incredibly poignant.

Thank you for writing something that appeals to the gamer side of me and to the pensive side of me. :)

(p.s. My favourites interaction was between Link and the Fierce Diety)
Shadowmage11 chapter 1 . 12/2/2010
Hey, just saying this and your other fics are really good; you really help the characters come to life compared to the little they get in the game. Keep on writing!
Anzer'ke chapter 5 . 9/8/2010
Very impressive work. Especially your charactization of the Fierce Deity.

Peace out and Rock on,

Anzer'ke.
MC chapter 5 . 6/21/2010
I've read your other stories and came into this with high expectations, but that was really lovely. Thank you for writing.
TedTheTalkingPotato chapter 5 . 5/30/2010
I have to say this has got to be on of my most favorite stories. It has a tone that I can't explain but enjoy greatly, maybe it also has to do with the fact that Majora's Mask in my favorite LOZ game.
Paosheep chapter 5 . 5/29/2010
That was utterly satisfying. Thanks for sharing.