Reviews for Backward With Purpose Part II: The Book of Albus
Maltheniel chapter 48 . 7/19
You are a brilliant author. This story explains so much that was unclear in BWP: Always and Always! How the prophecy changed and was spilled, everything Merlin did. I like it nearly as much.

The most remarkable thing to me about this story is the way Al changes. To begin with he's quite self-centered and overconfident. His whole idea of forcing the prophecy onto Neville to relieve Harry is rather horrific. Unlike his parents and uncle, who went back for always and always, he is doing it for his own purposes. And "the universe" screws him over, rather badly. Lesson, Al: DON'T go spouting prophecies in pubs unless you're willing to sacrifice a rather high price to set it straight.

But by the end, he's changed - changed so much that he's perfectly willing to take the curse in his dad's stead. He finally understands always and always, and that's everything. He's finally learned what it means to love completely and wholly, to be willing to sacrifice everything you have for someone you love. When he first went back in time, he was trying to save Harry's life because he needed him back for himself. The seventh time, he is trying to save him for Harry's own sake, because he has realized that his dad doesn't deserve to die. And that makes all the difference. That is always and always. Harry, Ginny, and Ron didn't go back to make their lives better; they knew they'd have to live through the war again; Harry knew he might have to die. They went back much more for the sake of all who had died, to give them their lives back. That is the lesson Al finally learns. I love his journey, though, how he slowly grows and becomes a full-fledged adult along the way.

I also really like all the alternate realities he winds up in and how they show all the different aspects that he manages to change, and how the realization of what he has done makes him more serious about what he's doing. I will have to say, the ones where the Weasleys could never become a family again on account of that article were the most horrifying to me. Knowing how much Harry suffered from the estrangement in Part 1, I didn't even want to think about what it would have cost him to go back in time, only to save his family and lose them because of an article his son wrote trying to save lives. (Though I will have to say, some of the things like the article that seemed completely mental to me the first time through made SO much more sense after reading this.) Some of those futures made me overwhelmingly glad that every time Al goes back, he deletes what happened afterwards. Those futures are NOT ones I want to have been lived out! My favorite was probably the one where he woke up to find everyone expecting him.

I also like your newspaper articles that herald the beginning of each trip back through time. They make good transitions, and there are often subtle changes in them that show both what Al has done and what he still needs to do. The last one, where he was finally alive, had me beaming after all the ones heralding his death. So did the one where he finally asked for Merlin, not the Weasleys, and I knew Al had fixed that breach.

I loved Percy's involvement, too, and how Al's opinion of him changes over the story from the stuffy, grief-stricken godfather who can never have fun to an older relative he can lean on. I just like Percy. I quite liked his interactions with Luna, too, and how they leaned on each other at different times.

I love how Al, over the course of the story, winds up becoming like the father he so admires. He grows into his father's self-sacrificial nature, and also his self-doubt and blame, unfortunately. Yet he remains his own distinct person; for instance, he never learns to kill Death Eaters as Harry did. That I am frankly immensely relieved about. Harry fought the war to protect his children and their innocence, in a way; I feel as though he would be glad that even if Al experienced some of the horror and adulthood, he never became a warrior as Harry had to become.

I was also glad for that moment when Harry thanked Al/Merlin, because Al had dreamed of it for so long. Also the moment when Harry offered his hand to his unknown son and Al hugged him instead. And the moment when Al vowed to himself that if there was anything he could do about it, his parents would live long enough to know who he was.

in short, I very much enjoyed your second installment of this story. My favorite part, of course, is the way always and always is still a theme, more of a background theme than last time, but there nonetheless. And Albus Severus Potter finally figures out what it means to love. Always and always.
Mouse chapter 9 . 4/3
Lol
lkpenney chapter 5 . 12/28/2016
I'm bawling...this is ridiculous lol. Really hope you plan to finish book 3!
TheWateringWizard chapter 49 . 12/10/2016
That was once again an incredible story ! You are such a talented story writer, it's amazing ! Frankly I'd be so happy if this story could replace the Curse Child as the 8th Harry Potter book alongside BWP Part I.
TheWateringWizard chapter 9 . 12/10/2016
That was a very helpful chapter ! I hadn't realised that I needed it
TheWateringWizard chapter 8 . 12/10/2016
Wow that could definitely replace Cursed Child as the 8th book ! SO MUCH BETTER
Gin chapter 48 . 7/24/2016
Brilliant! Absolutely
There is no story out there to compete with your plot
MoleOfWar chapter 51 . 6/1/2016
Nice overall story. I preferred the first but the second is good too. Will we see a complete part 3?
Charmander chapter 48 . 4/21/2016
25! Why am I so relieved, knowing Albus will die? ;-;
Charmander chapter 47 . 4/21/2016
Oh fuck.
Charmander chapter 45 . 4/21/2016
This point of view makes it all the more pain. Although, that pun. "Hit the Ground Running".
Charmander chapter 27 . 4/21/2016
How'd the sound come from his wand?
Readerjkr chapter 1 . 3/18/2016
Brilliant, epic, gorgeous trilogy. I do hope you'll find time and inspiration to finish part three as I would love to see your Albus have a happy life.
ffntfy456 chapter 51 . 3/13/2016
Thank you for writing this story, it's wonderful. I stayed up until 3 am last night to finish it. I've sign up for galleywumpus so I'm looking forward to the rest.
mysticalphoenix-avalon chapter 51 . 2/25/2016