Reviews for Somewhere More Familiar
Mislav chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
OK, good story, but I don't apreciate the additude, whole thing with sympathetic and non sympathetic victaims. Charles Denville, Nash Cavanaugh, Mike Delaney, Margot Chambers... It's easy to call them as people who deserved to die. It's even easier to forgot that people aren't born as rapists, pedophiles, con artists... They become like that because of something, but that show almost never features backgrounds of that kind of victaims, and that whole thing is just very wrong, because by that victaim because a perpetraitor. That's even grosser then what they have done, because show tries to send message that every victaim deserves justice.
AlphaWolf45 chapter 5 . 10/13/2012
Um…I gotta ask…are you going to update soon or have you abandoned this story? Clarification would be well liked.
wherethewindssigh chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
Hats off to you! This is a fantastic piece of psychological analysis of the two most interesting characters of Cold Case. I'm ever grateful for this and it's really about time someone gave Kat Miller the attention she deserves, and not just in the love interest kind of way. She is well worth discovering all on her own. It's also nice to see some female bonding which sadly is rare.

Thank you and please say the hiatus is over soon!
irishgirl686 chapter 5 . 2/12/2010
This is probably the best cold case fic i've read. you have an amazing grasp of who rush is as a character, and that's refreshing. most authors tend to mold the character to their own ideas and they end up changing them completely, but i still see the same detective from the original show in this fic. anywho, i'm really enjoying reading this and i hope you update it soon.
Cracon chapter 5 . 8/24/2008
Loved it so far! And I would like to see another chapter... :)
oucellogal chapter 5 . 7/31/2008
Okay, I know you're annoyed at the characters because they didn't cooperate with you and let this be the last chapter, but, selfishly, I'm glad!

I love how you point out that the squad doesn't open up to each other because of their daily experiences with lying suspects, and how they have trouble separating fact from fiction even in their own minds. It's so true!

"Scotty, ever the compassionate wordsmith..." heh. It's funny 'cause it's true. :D how Kat won't get scared by some skinny blonde.

And the conversation they have after that? WOW. I love how perceptive Kat is, and I love that she calls Lilly on her crap. Kat is just fourteen flavors of awesome, and you bring that out so well! I adore how she talks about seeing the shrink, and how opening up to someone is way better than keeping it bottled up. Everyone else would do well to take her advice!

And Kat falls off the counter. ROFL.

I love how Kat tells Lilly that she'll stand there with her all day if she needs to. Like I said, fourteen flavors of awesome. And I adore the whole symbolism with the hand-holding; how Lil flinches at first, but then comes around later. Beautiful imagery! And the touch-related Lilly angst was wonderfully written! You're really good at digging in Lil's head!

I like the fact that, when it's personal, they're just as awkward as the rest of us. It's so true.

That whole moment with the hug, and Lilly telling Kat that she makes her smile...*sniffle*. LOVED it. And, of course, Kat saying that she likes Alien Lilly better than Regular Lilly. I do, too. :)

And the part at the end...where Lil doesn't know why she's not crying...all kinds of win and awesome.

Brilliant job, as always; am looking forward to the next chapter!
FloatingAmoeba chapter 5 . 7/26/2008
Can we please get some Lil/Scotty in the next chapter? PLEASE? But I loved this chapter. Great job!
BabyLezzie chapter 5 . 7/25/2008
Aw, don't end it with the next chapter! I love getting to see/read about Lilly and Kat interacting... there seems to be a large lacking of those fics!
BabyLezzie chapter 4 . 7/21/2008
Ok- I'm LOVING this story. It's hilarious, yet serious; I keep thinking that I know where it's going to go, and then it goes in the complete oppopsite direction; good work. I'll anxiously be awaiting an update!
oucellogal chapter 4 . 7/20/2008
Okay, so I'm finally reviewing this. Another awesome, awesome chapter. The conversation between Kat and Scotty was so great. I loved Scotty's comment that the office was a little hot, and her response that he's got issues. It's moments like this that make me love any interaction between these two.

And of course, so much love for Scotty telling Kat to keep doing whatever she did to make Lilly light up like that. It's S/L moments like these that are just so show-like; deep, beautiful, yet ambiguous, and you do them so darn well. And Lilly's not even there! It's amazing.

He...Veronica on a sugar high. Love it. And I love the whole Kat/Veronica dynamic. It's so adorable, and so beautifully written!

And the scene after that...WOW. Aw and angst and wow. How Veronica's little typical nine-year-old comment made Kat doubt herself, and how much she worries about something happening to her. She doesn't get to angst on the show, but my goodness, does she have some things to angst about. I'm glad she opened up to you in this chapter. Beautifully done, as always.
Alex chapter 4 . 7/20/2008
And again, that was wonderful. A sign of great writing is when it is relatable, even though the characters are so different from yourself. The two words, “…nobody’s coming" are going to stay with me for a good long while.

I'm loving your characterizations so much. Your Scotty's nicely charismatic, and his protective streak is showing very well. I really liked the line 'Everyone was different, and he had a set of rules laid out within his mind for all of them'. That rang unexpectedly true; it was something I'd never thought of that way before. I love your descriptions of Lilly's eyes. They're always so expressive, and you have that perfectly.

Oh, and glad you agree. TT rules. Just as an aside, she was amazing in Rent. She really could sing Cabaret.
DressageGirl chapter 4 . 7/17/2008
Ok, so fabulous chapter.

I really enjoyed your insight into Kat's relationship with her daughter. I think the show proper has kind of fallen short in this department with the exception of that great moment at the end of Spiders. I can't even imagine how Kat could come home to Veronica after a day of being surrounded by the worst things that human kind has to offer. I also loved how Lil reassured her that the simple act of caring separated her from Lilly's mother. Can't wait to see how this progresses.
ZoeImZuri chapter 4 . 7/17/2008
I am having a great time reading your fic, thank you so much for sharing it!

I like too that you’re hinting Scotty and Lilly have a special relationship, because they totally do. Not in a romantic way but Scotty is so concerned about Lilly, I’m glad he’s feeling better about it.

Your writing is amazing, I could nearly suffer Kat’s hangover, I forgot too that Scotty was here when Kat got lost in her train of thoughts and felt their pain in the end.

I can’t believe Lilly went on her own initiative to Kat’s place… they are SO bonding ! This is refreshing to see a non-passive Lilly.

First, Kat thought she had Lilly figured out (Kat thinking that Lilly’s not over the shooting) and now the roles are reverse (Lilly thinking that Kat is afraid she’s a bad mother). And when they are finally understanding each other, it’s rewarding, but painful at the same time.

So many consequences in Kat’s head from Vera’s stupid remark… Didn’t see that coming (and yet, I saw “Offender” a few weeks back and I am still not getting over it) and never notice, what you’re brilliantly exposing in this fic, that the 2 girls had so much to share, with the shooting, their experience in a single parent/child relationship, and the fear every parent have to live with (except the one whose child has been a victim)...

Can’t wait to see Lil’s idea.
FloatingAmoeba chapter 4 . 7/15/2008
I'm still getting hints of Scotty/Lilly! Another great chapter, but I hope the dark twisty angst is nearly over so Miller can go kick Vera's ass. Besides, hangovers make everything seem worse anyway.
Icywinter chapter 3 . 7/13/2008
Very well written, great ideas hope you can check out my other Non-L/s Fics also.