Reviews for The Piano
Fran L chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Man, you've got to stop writing these lovely stories that make me want to cry!

Lovely characterisation as usual, and the way you put things is great. 'He thought how close he had come to losing the music all over again.' was a personal favourite.

I enjoyed seeing John have a bit of a flirt :) And Scott doing his big-brother bit, of course. The protective stance over Virgil was especially nice. And Gordon was adorable. I loved how "no-one loves each other any more", and how he was so charming for the head-teacher. You paint them all really clearly in this one.

Lucille was gorgeous. One line, and a perfect one at that. I cried a bit too, Jeff!

Slightly distracting typo in how 'Alan' became 'Allan' half-way through, but that's my only grumble :)

A fab insight into the characters using canon events and items, and done effortlessly. Great stuff!
Red Hardy chapter 1 . 3/30/2009
Oh wow, that was so sad and so uplifting at the same time! I loved the parallel of Lucille's music and how it could both make Virgil feel closer to his mother yet cause such heartache for Jeff. I loved the way you wrote Jeff at not only the concert itself but also afterwards. The heartwrenching and conflicting emotions he felt - pain that Lucille was gone yet such pride in Virgil -were so very believable!

A really touching story!
Little Miss Bump chapter 1 . 9/15/2008
Wonderful, as I had expected. A beautiful peice, especially the loss that Jeff felt over the death of his beloved wife. This truly did make me cry. I say again, a truly beautiful story.

Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us, you have my sincerest gratitudes.
littlepieces chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
Touching. I like the little extras, like how the boys sleep.
minstrelsy chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
I loved the way you drew the story from “Terror in New York City” (one of my favourite episodes) using the piano. Very nicely done. Thank you.
JulesDPM chapter 1 . 6/24/2008
What a lovely story! I really enjoyed reading it. I thought that the writing was very good and the characterisation spot on.

My favourite line was near the end "And Virgil sat in the middle like the calm eye of a hurricane and smiled."

I was interested in the concept of Jeff, after Lucille's death, not allowing a piano in the house and then, at the end, not wanting to be without it.

Good start. Hope you've got some more gems to share!
mcj chapter 1 . 6/24/2008
Hi there eriphi,

Sorry I haven't replied until now. I appreciated your acknowledgement of my input at the beginning but honestly I really didn't do all that much.

Now, I would like to give my opinion of your story as a reader/writer.

I really loved this concept. You touched on a subject that is dear to me and you did it so very well. Poor Jeff. Poor Virgil. It was lovely. Well done.

If I had to critique I'd only say what I said earlier -

-I'd be careful with Allan/Alan

- Also about the character Miss Allan. I think I mentioned that in my beta and it was interesting to see Pen mentioned it as well.

What is right about this story? - So much particularly how it makes me feel.

I am so sad for Jeff and I love Scott's role here especially as he is just a young man (and in many ways still a little boy).

Thank you for sharing. May we enjoy many many many of your stories in the future.

yours in writing

mcj
beyondtired chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
I really hope you plan on writing more in this fandom. Love Virgil stories and this one was just the kind I like.
quiller chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
Is this really you'r first story? All I can say is that it's a darn sight better than my first effort! That last sentence was an absolute cracker!

The only fault I can see (and it is a very minor one) is that in calling one of the teachers 'Miss Allan' you risk confusing your readers, especially when you could have called her by another name very easily. In fact, you even confused yourself as Alan becomes 'Allan' several times after that.

But all in all a very good first story and I look forward to seeing more from you.
ms. imagine chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
Gorgeous :) Jeff's conflicting emotions and grieving are so clear here, the effect it has on his kids is just heartbreaking. I'm so happy the boys convinced him to buy the piano. Great work - though keep an eye on that Alan/Allan thing (blame the OCD!)
jendarra chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
What a wonderful story.

You have got the family just right, especially the boys.

Good job, write more.
freeflow chapter 1 . 6/22/2008
A lovely fic that flows through both past and present with effortless style. Litle Tracy stories are great anyway, but combined with canon situations and a touch of extra Virgil angst, you have certainly created one for me to re-read!

Protective Scott, flirty John (who knew?) and sleepy Gordon make for believable if strained scenes, and stoic but heartbroken Jeff is utterly devastating as his inability to comfort his children conflicts with his obvious love for them.

A wonderful first time fic, and definitely a skilled foray in to the world of Thunderbirds. I look forward to more!