Reviews for In Shadows and Darkness
morgoth295 chapter 35 . 8/10/2008
wow, dude, wow. you are without doubt the most imaginative, most realistic, and most best (lol) author i have ever met on fanfiction. when you write, i can get a sense of maturity and depth of detail no other writer could compare on this site. nice to know you added sate pestage, palpatine's grand vizier :). funny how he fled- so typical. he lost everything with palpatine's death. "without power, one dies"-sate pestage's famous quote.

im hope im not being an annoying idiot (like usual) but im begging you. in the next series, could you model the imperial military structure on wookiepedia's canon (grand moff/admiral/general & executor)? if you dont feel like searching, i'll be happy to tell you myself.

i love the character development, the emotion of vader's demise, the plot, and your imagination! i know i'm going way outta my bounds by asking you this: can you progress the luke/mara relationship? plz, i love that pairing. keep up the mind-blowing work!
Treenahasthaal chapter 35 . 8/9/2008
Absolutely fabulous! The plotting and the writing is first class - the drama is edge of your seat. I personally dislike Mara Jade - but you have made her into a likeable and credible character for me in this story and I found myself rooting for both her and Luke. You Luke is wonderfully powerful and teetering on the edge of light and dark - a balance indeed. I am on tender hooks for the next part!

Thank you so much for writing this!
Mir chapter 34 . 8/8/2008
Excellent - Many thanks for continuing, and enjoy your well-earned vacation! Throughout this story you've certainly revealed your own knack for scheming through writing the intricate dance of Luke's quiet machinations against the Emperor, Palpatine's futile efforts to stay one step ahead, and the distant yet lurking presence of the Rebellion still seeking its own Retribution.

And now moving onward into the third segment, with Palpatine conquered, his supporters on the run, and wildcards like Amedda ruthlessly exploited then discarded - who stands left to oppose Luke's new empire? Hallin appears resolutely loyal and Mara finally converted fully into the fold... But to me, it's Reece who appears susceptible to uncertainty, outside influence, or simply a change in heart.

Of course, by the end, all the blocks will have fallen into place, and I sincerely hope that somehow Luke's able to make good to Han and Leia, if not to their Rebellion at large. Optimism, certainly. But what's hinted in the epilogue suggests that Luke still holds some connection to his past, and one can only hope that this will serve him well in the end.

On a side note, using the voice of an unnamed rebel for the epilogue was a great literary decision - the coronation ceremonies described as viewed on screen, the observations the unnamed narrator gleams from the fragmented scenes, the line "Solo – Han Solo, who always says he knew him," to convey to readers that the narrator isn't someone close enough to Han to know that he actually does know Luke. Though the reader has been told that the ship Home-One is far away from the Empire's center, this fact is clearly embodied in the epilogue's text. Having followed Luke's every move, the reader now sees what the rest of the world sees, realizes the extent to which they're left in the dark to guess haphazardly at all the years of developments that culminated in Luke's inauguration. Nicely done.
frodogenic chapter 35 . 8/8/2008
Oh, thank GOD you didn't stop at chapter five. I would have freaking killed you if I NEVER got to see Palpatine bite the dust. Honestly. I don't believe I have ever hated a character so passionately as your Palpatine. I would have been on my deathbed sixty years from now, and my last words would have been-"Curse you, blank101, for never finishing that phenomenal fanfic all those years ago!"

But now I can die happy. :)

Seriously, this series is probably the best, most beautifully characterized piece of fanfic that I've ever read. There are so few authors out there that can leave me breathless with suspense for a whole week (and I was, by the way, checking my email obsessively waiting for that Story Alert sign to pop up) and still delve so expertly into characters' psyches and motivations. As a general rule I don't like Dark Luke storylines; you're the first author who in my opinion has really managed to pull it off with style. Your Luke is so fascinatingly different, but still is recognizable as the canon character. And your Mara had an absolutely shining moment a couple chapters ago when she caved to Palpatine-that was just perfect, exactly how I think she would have been even though we never see her there in the EU canon. And Han! And Leia! And Vader!

And I'd better stop now, because I am shamefully gushing. :)

I will be waiting on tenterhooks for the next sequel. Or whatever the GFFA equivalent of tenterhooks is. :P
phantom-jedi1 chapter 35 . 8/8/2008

Nice ending for this part of the trilogy, and you avoided that awful mid-trilogy crisis quite well. There's enough dangling plot threads (Leia and the Rebellion, for one, and what Luke does with his new position, for another) to make a sequel possible, and indeed, necessary.

I'm looking forward to visiting the GFFA through your writing again soon. Teasers would be appreciated.

Have a wonderful holiday! Force knows you deserve one. ;)

Phantom Jedi
LuvinHP chapter 35 . 8/8/2008
That was truly a wonderful ending to your story, and I can wait until you post the sequel. How is Luke going to interact with the Rebellion now that he's the emperor, and is he going to keep up the Empire's anti-alien policies?
dandeliondreams chapter 34 . 8/8/2008
*explodes with joy*

My god, this was amazing. Palpatine's dead, always a plus! Until he reincarnates himself into a clone, or something.

But this... but this... I'm speechless. It was perfect. *gets teary-eyed* I'm so glad I started reading Into the Storm, otherwise I could have missed the best Star Wars fanfic on the planet.

The Rebel part at the end's a nice touch. I liked the mention of Tatooine and Han Solo... And Leia, will she find out she's Force-sensitive?

BUT PALPY'S DEAD! *throws party* I can't believe it. How could you think you'd get hate mail, anyways? Palpatine's beheading is the culmination of all those long hours of burning him in effigy and making voodoo dolls! Just kidding.

I wouldn't have cared if you killed everyone else off if only Palpy died. That's what's most important :) Well... I might have cried if Hallin-plushie died...

But yay! I can't wait for the next one!

~ Lena
PastaSentient chapter 35 . 8/8/2008
Superb story. Like the first, it was astounding. YOur portrayal of luke is amazing. Just some ideas for the next story, what about Ben skywalker and anakin, jaina, and jacen solo? What about the yuuzan vong? (I never could spell that right) Will Luke create a new order of jedi? or just take another sith apprentice? Anyways, I eagerly await the next book. Update soon!
dandeliondreams chapter 33 . 8/8/2008

YESYESYES PALPATINE IS DEAD! Take that evil poop for brains!
kataja chapter 35 . 8/8/2008
Ew, you can't go on vacation, whatabout my daily update?

And. I curse myself for my weakness, the teasers will do me no good at all, but I want them anyway, so yes please.

The third picture is just as awesome as the tho earlier, and yup, I think I got some clues, from it. There was a clue in red dress I think, also the part of the pic that's in black and white gives me the hope that some things won't last forever...

I hope you enjoy your vacation very much! You've certainly deserved it! And I hope you return soon and well rested! LOL Looking forward to continuae with At the Brink of the Dawn and the Darkness.

BTW - will I automaticly remain on the story alert list for that one? Or do I have to sight up somewhere? *G*
kataja chapter 34 . 8/8/2008
So, Mara wants "Luke the emperor" too - she denied that earlier, but I guess this story is much about her learning to know herself too.

Adored it that Luke just wanted to leave it all! But now that he's forced to stay - will the Empire eat his soul? Will Palpatine's heritage do what Palpatine didn't manage?

And the rift that still is between Mara and Luke, sure it will come up again?

You leave just too many cliffhangers! LOL

Congratulations for bringing this extraordinarily brilliant story to a worthy end of 2/3ds.
kataja chapter 33 . 8/8/2008
OMG OMG OMG! Brilliant, elaborate battle - and that's a hard thing getting me out off my chair in lightsaber battle in print! It started wildly, got wilder and culminated in a perfect ending!

I loved it that Luke both touched the ultimate darkness (for me that is when he decides not to let anybody near ever again) and in the end needed the same touch he wanted to reject!

And I'm glad Mara can get a chance to show her worth again.
ILDV chapter 34 . 8/8/2008
ILDV chapter 33 . 8/8/2008
WOW! Wondeful.
Fudgie-ko chapter 32 . 8/5/2008
I have been such a terrible reviewer lately! I apologize for not getting you a good review in a while!

That said, I have loved your last few chapters. There was something so sad in the way Mara just could not stop herself from telling Palpatine about Luke and Vader meeting, and having Luke aware that she would betray him made it even more heartwrenching.

I would think that Luke of all people would understand how difficult it is to escape the games of Palpatine, but I doubt he could be very understanding (as seen in this chapter) when her betrayal resulted in the death (*ahem* sacrifice) of his father. What I am sad about is that Luke never got the chance to have a final conversation with his father-but then again maybe Obi-Wan will teach him the ghost thingy ;)

Your passage about Vader's realization that he was holding his son back, and his sacrifice was so beautiful! I loved how you brought the story full-circle with the "If you cut me down..." line. It was a perfect way to tie your story into the cannon SW universe, and again reiterate his sacrifice (like Obi-Wan's) for Luke. Very nice!

I am so hoping that Luke will finally just kill off Palpatine. The man is so evil, and I don't think I could stand him "breaking" Luke into pieces again :'( He just needs to whoop him and whoop him good! Please tell me your finally killing the #$% $#& off! (Then again you write Palpatine so well! *sigh* Dern Catch-22's).

As always I cannot wait for your next chapters! Thanks so much for sharing!
342 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »