Reviews for Sanctuary
AwkwardIdeasLeadToThis chapter 8 . 9/2
I really enjoyed watched the slow reveal of the effect Sarah had on the Goblin King. The layers on his words that you have to peel to get to the meaning of - all worth the feelings of frustration because at the end when everything comes together and he wants her to be his queen, ugh, yes.

Also I died when you did that line about Sarah never reading about a king who only sort-of liked his queen lmao. Perfect.

Also I really love, love, dark themes. Or rather, dark as in gory and intense, not dark as in emotional destructive angst.

So yeah, thank you. The journey was awesome to follow.
Cztelnik chapter 8 . 8/1
Yay! It is a fun fic with lots of hot Jareth/Sarah adventures. Or, Jareth runs to Sarah to die but finds love instead that makes him strong like...well a Goblin King and conquers his enemies to restore his kingdom. A proper fairy tale.

Liked the goblin and tiny Jareth commentary too.
KookieDoll chapter 8 . 6/15
As a relative newcomer to Labyrinth fanfic, I have just discovered this wonderful story through an online recommendation. I am now conflicted – on the one hand, I am sooo happy I discovered ‘Sanctuary’ after it had been completed. I have no idea what I’d be doing with myself if I had to wait for months for an update! On the other hand, it's such a pity I wasn't here when this story was being created. Now, I have a sneaky suspicion that after so many years the Author may not be visiting these pages any more, given that her profile hasn’t been updated since 2010. If I’m wrong and you’re out there somewhere, Jack Hawksmoor, please take a little break from having fun with Tiny Jareth and pop in to say hi to your adoring fan.

But what the heck. I’m going to write a few words here even if they are never to reach the Author. After all, decades and centuries later people still write and discuss Jane Austen and Dickens and the lot of them, so what is six years by comparison...

First, as many other readers have commented, it is a most brilliant idea to portray Sarah as a semi-magical person from the start: having been touched by magic, she lives on the border of the mortal and magical worlds, her adventure in the Labyrinth affecting her life forever. Not only is Sarah's borderline existence special in itself (there are lots of fairy tales, myths and legends exploring just that), but it works doubly well as it gives credence to her character. As such, she is so much better prepared than a ‘normal’ person to deal with Jareth and the disturbing, not-quite-human aspects of his nature (of which there are thankfully plenty). She is also well equipped to understand that one can’t apply our contemporary mortal values and morality to the Underground / Fae world, which is governed by its own rules, however shocking and cruel they may be. If the rules involve devouring the body of your defeated enemy? Well… that’s life. You can't fail to admire that attitude!

It’s difficult to write a believable Sarah you can root for, because most of us are ready to strangle her by the end of the film. But you manage it wonderfully. Your Sarah is great – brave, strong and independent, but not a bitch. She’s sensible, sensitive, perceptive, intelligent, but knows when to keep quiet and keep her thoughts to herself. She knows what she wants and goes for it. And she’s not a saint :)

The dynamics between Sarah and Jareth are spot on. Jareth is otherworldly, often in a dangerously creepy way, just as he should be. He's seriously dangerous, not cute dangerous - on re-reading, it becomes quite obvious that when he knocks at Sarah's door the first time, he has the intention to deal with her the usual way he deals with Labyrinth winners. There’s no chance of him becoming a good guy and there shouldn’t be – after all, tricking people and seducing them to achieve his ends are in his job description. But that's just one side of him. I love it that Sarah doesn’t manage to resist him for too long – come on, how many of us would – and that she’s OK with it (your descriptions of what’s going on in Sarah’s mind are a gem). There’s definitely a sense of them being pulled towards each other on a deeper level despite all the expectations, anger and mistrust... I'm so happy you let them work it all out and give them what they deserve in the end.

And the sexy bits… they are simply too beautiful to be called smut. There is lots of S/J smut out there in fanfic, much of which is pretty cringeworthy, and even if it’s not, it often lacks… well, magic. Sarah and Jareth are usually portrayed as having incredibly great sex (good for them!) but it is often very human-like. Surely hot action with a powerful magical non-human insanely attractive guy calls for more than that? Some skilful, little magic sex tricks at the very least? Your ‘glittery foreplay’ is a perfect step in the right direction! (By the way, I am still to come across a sexy J/S scene that makes use of Jareth’s ability to walk through people, as he does in the Escher room. Surely there must me some erotic potential in that trick? If you know of any fanfic that puts that to good use, please let me know *slobber*)

And all those delightful details – fairy-tale and literary references... nods to the original film... a painting of the Labyrinth of Sarah's wall... Jareth ending up solving a riddle when entering Sarah's world... and the delicious sprinkling of humour, which as even Shakespeare knew, works a treat even, or especially, in the middle of the most terrifying action... All your little touches and references have been noted and thoroughly appreciated.

All in all, what I love about 'Sanctuary' is that it is so beautifully linked to the movie and so self-contained. No need for extra characters. The action in the story is shaped by and is a consequence of what happened in the Escher room. I absolutely love the moment when Sarah and Jareth get to talk about what happened there during their final confrontation: they really really need to talk it over if they are to move on with their relationship, but not many fanfic stories pick up on that (her soft fall in the film always struck me as unusually gentle, and it works perfectly here).

All that considered, I must say I prefer 'Sanctuary' to 'The Lady and the Knight' - which was a very enjoyable read too. But what I especially like here is that Jareth and Sarah deal with the problems together, by themselves. They don’t need another creature to save them, because Jareth, with Sarah's support, is more than capable of tackling the problems by himself, thank you very much. (I thought Marib in TLATK, awesome as he was, was just a little bit too convenient, 'deus-ex-machina' type solution).

So that’s it. Sanctuary is disturbing, thrilling, clever, satisfying, sweet and charming at the same time, which is not an easy feat to pull off. It goes on my very slim favs of favs list, and I look forward to re-reading it already. Thank you very very very much for it.

Oh, and one more thing - when you next see Jareth, tiny or otherwise, please remember to tell him that if he needs to recharge, he’s welcome to use me as a battery any time. He likes kookies, right? Crumbled into cream? Perhaps I should stop here.
Jack leone chapter 8 . 5/21
Ah so dark so fab so many fairytale vibes- loved it!
Silvanesti chapter 8 . 4/12
Great story, thank you for sharing it with us.
Ellae chapter 7 . 3/28
Honestly this method of regaining his power makes a lot of sense and sounds like a smashingly good time so good on you, J, and amazingly good for you Sarah. Men have enjoyed time with me but never quite like that
The gold-as-magic-as blood is a fascinatingly lovely gruesome way to put it
Lylabeth 1 chapter 3 . 3/25
Okay, good writing, but enough of the monsters. Either let them devour them or allow Sarah and Jareth to get the heck out of dodge. This gets old, already.
Willdew chapter 8 . 2/19
Man, this was freaking amazing. I adored the ever-loving heck out of it.

Sarah and Jareth fighting off some kind of Lovecraftian beastie within the confines of her apartment, whilst all they have to protect themselves is an iron crowbar, some hand-painted LoTR paraphernalia, and a few well-placed horseshoes?

And then the power of hanky-panky saves the day?

But only after there is some creepy stuff where he insinuates that he needs to kill her?

Damn. This was... like Neil Gaiman levels of good. I adored this.
Scarlett Foxie chapter 8 . 12/17/2015
Monster Jarath... I loved it! Thanks for posting.
Kagami Sorciere chapter 8 . 10/13/2015
A fun read! I love when the characterizations are good and the story works. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)
QueenTatooine chapter 8 . 10/8/2015
A very nice story. I do really love the ones that point out that the Faerie of the old tales was a very dangerous place one in which humans very rarely came out well in the end. Very nice.
Zatara1324 chapter 8 . 7/20/2015
A little darker Jareth than the Lady and the Knight, but you pulled it off! Thanks for writing, I love how you work this pairing!
loverofanime41302 chapter 5 . 5/2/2015
Was that a Princess Bride reference? To this day, I still call people warthog-faced buffoons. XD
loverofanime41302 chapter 3 . 5/2/2015
OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME I COULD JUST EAT THREE BOWLS OF RICE!

kinda the wrong fandom, but the perfect sentiment if you have seen Ouran High School Host Club. If not, then I'm just saying that this is fantastic! I love how they practically don't notice the bad people it's just so ADORABLE! Loving the story so far, Author-chan! :D
Guest chapter 8 . 3/17/2015
Ehr mher gheerdd... This was nearly everything I wanted... Is it weird to say... I love you? :3