Reviews for Other Lives
Guest chapter 41 . 8/24/2014
Oh wow. I devoured this story in three days. "Wow" is not really a good enough review of all I enjoyed but Im typing on an annoying little mobile phone keypad. This was amazing. Loved the detail you went through in building the universe and the sweet shout outs you made to other authors. It was cool because I remember reading a story about the Sim ratings and I love the consistency you used and that you paid them credit. Loved the character buildup of Caroline but I hated to see her end like that...ok so please with the sequel to this? I truly hope it is either out there and I will stumble upon it or you may still be writing. I Love love love your writing style. Love the way you tell the scene from varying points of view. Hope all is well with you and your family
Lyrander chapter 41 . 1/7/2013
I know you wrote this a long long time ago, but this still needs to be said.

Dude...I don't even have words actually. It's just THAT good. Like wow...the angst...brilliant. It's this gut wrenching feeling that you get and it's so hard to find stories like that. It truly is. Don't get me wrong...I love me some fluff, especially at the end, but this was amazing. Really really amazing.
I'm generally a bit better writing my reviews, but I can't put these feelings into words atm.

In any case, thank you for enriching our lives with this story :)
Parzival vi Britannia chapter 41 . 6/6/2011
really like this story hoping to read the sequel soon!
Eirrythia chapter 41 . 3/27/2011
Okay, so I finished, and considering the ride this amazing saga just put me through, I can only imagine what you went through writing it. I dearly love that you don't pull your punches when describing the stories.

*laugh* I thought I was the only who got led around by my nose where writing a story is concerned. My short little jaunts turn into things of epic proportions.

That all being said... I would gleefully, and indeed gladly, follow any story line you choose to gift us with. I am not nearly certain I can keep up with the twists your brain makes, But, damn I am willing to try.

The tidbit you gave makes me giggle manaically simply imagining what is going in that mind of your, which by the way, I have think said organ should be voted as a nation-treasure of our fandom.

A few times, I caught myself wondering what the frak was going, then I hit the little arrow button, and bam, it all got explained. There was never any question that I read this in two settings, oh hell no. And as much as I am sad I didnt stumble onto this sooner, in a way it is good.

Cause frankly I would have gone as bonkers as Lee and Kara appeared to be waiting for things to be updated.

I don't normally get this verbose with reviews, but hell... Your stories make me incapable of saying nothing.

Brava, beautifully done, and please keep writing
Eirrythia chapter 29 . 3/26/2011
Okay, i am not even done with it yet, and I have to comment on this story. You're ability to show the sheer depth of emotion, coupled with the razor wit is astounding. I am in awe. Cackling to myself over one-liners, and generally making my dog look at me like i am crazy.

I read and loved Strawberry Wine, and I can see where you got the inspiration. Inasmuch as this is AU, you have still kept so very close to the characters I start to wonder if you have RDM tied up in the closet and you are periodically torturing him for information.

Going back to continue reading now, just want to say I 3 this... and o yea, you are evil because of this story I am still up at 4 am my time, when i should definitely be asleep.
anamarya chapter 41 . 10/17/2010
first of all i have to admit that in the last year or so i started this story a couple of times but i kind of got sidetracked by real-life.

so, knowing what happened last time that i started it (and managed to get to the point where Lee finds the photo-albums) yesterday i sat down and decided that i have to read it whole. and i'm proud to say that i did it.

anyway, a great universe this one that you created. the scandal, the two majors, the admirals... great new additions to the story. I liked your Lee and your Kara because they were so messed up and because they kind of only blamed themselves not the other one.

what confused me (but i think it was intentional on your part) was Caroline's behavior - she was kind of all over the place (in lack of a better expression)...

if you decide to write the sequel i would be delighted to read it chapter by chapter, namely in a more normal fashion and leave my thoughts in a coherent way, not like a mess that i am at this hour (do to sleep deprivation).

as an end note, in hope that you (and your family) have a nice sunday and thank you again for a beautiful story.
yolanna chapter 41 . 9/8/2010
That was great. One of the few stories in the fandom that really captivated me and were original.

I don't know if you're still working on a sequel or not, but I must say I'd love to read it.

Thank you for sharing this story with us.
sydcasy chapter 41 . 3/7/2010
Awesome story! Still waiting for the sequel - hopefully you will post it soon, really soon! :)
surfergirl88 chapter 41 . 7/23/2009
The test footage for the (as yet untitled) sequel to "Other Lives" that is already in pre-production is very intriguing. Heck, after reading the last line of the test footage, "Captain Thr - uh, Adama. Kara automatically emphasized the second syllable to her married name. It had become something of a habit, a way to muddy a connection that seemed to cause endless complications for herself and her family these days," I am already hooked and a fan of the sequel. Is it still in the works?
Acrux chapter 18 . 5/27/2009
Love this last chapter, although the whole story is thrilling, but I feel that in chapter 18 you actually and truly discovered your writing talent. The words flowed together as if they were born that way. keep up the good work in all your endeavors you are becoming a better writer as you go along
Baciami chapter 40 . 5/1/2009
Now this chapter has GentleReader confused. She assumes that our married!pilots are still together and there's a reasonable explanation why Kara slept elsewhere, leaving Lee to wake up alone (did you mean to conjure our worst shipper nightmares? . . !) except for that pesky pet. Sorry, I'm a dog person. I love that Kara's been promoted to Captain just like Lee. Is he taking this course bec he's pulled too many risky moves, to be Kara's body guard, to just hang with her? What's the story? Seems like it must be a good reason bec neither of them seems very unhappy. I'm dwelling on the Good Vibes rather than the confusing details. I'm still suffering from Finale PTSD - *Poof* Traumatized Stress Disorder.

I didn't review fanfic for a long time, mistakenly underestimating how much authors appreciate feedback. UB, you've been very patient with my long reviews as well as emails. I'm ecstatic as well as appreciative that you completed this. It's no small accomplishment to have figured out how to make Kara & Lee transcend their angsty deadends that they explored while apart and end up together in a way that respects the story and the reader. How uplifting that Kara & Lee hoisted themselves above the fray to find a place where they could work on their issues together.

As I've said so many times, I've loved this journey you've let me go on with Kara & Lee. Your exquisitely crafted prose alleviated the severe angst of your story. The Favors Trading Scandal was highly creative and original for driving the action. Your secondary characters were riveting in their own ways, and I really loved seeing the same scenes from different viewpoints. Let me repeat: I really really really (did I say really) liked experiencing the same scene from different viewpoints.

I'm particularly happy you ignored your impulse to chuck the story and begin again. I'm not a writer, just a passionate reader. I have to say that my only disappointment is that this story wasn't more like 80 chapters instead of 40 since your Muse kept whispering cool ideas in your ear. Obey your Muse! Or you'll tic her off and she'll hang elsewhere leaving you to stare at The Big Blank White Screen with the Annoying Blinking Cursor That Demands "Feed Me Words!" Respect your Muse by listening to her and she will embrace you like a lover (even though you're a happily married dude with great kids). Other readers perusing this review - stop reading immediately, grab a cold cocktail very icy because the story is hothotHOT, and go to UB's Portraits of a Marriage. You'll be glad you did. Mille Grazie & Ciao Baby! Baciami
Baciami chapter 39 . 4/30/2009
UB, GentleReader is torn. GentleReader wishes to be served, waited upon, desired & worshipped by the story. Alas, it is the story that must be served, waited upon, desired & worshipped by the writer, with GentleReader a mere heartfelt & fortunate bystander. GentleReader thinks your magnificent story is poorly served by this chapter :(

Let begin by saying thank you for finishing this before the finale. The trauma of the finale was assuaged somewhat by your ability to have our two pilots figure out to be together, be married, and say frak you to everyone's complicating their lives to make a future together. This was no small gift. In fact, it was a balm to my battereds shipper's heart so mille grazie.

What I didn't think served the story well...

Pacing. You were on board to write a much longer story and had the incredible secondary characters and plotlines to write it. Maybe too many additional characters and too many plotlines, but they were there and they were riveting to me. They were also abandoned in a headlong rush to finish, giving GentleReader plotline whiplast.

Shifting characterizations. Also shocking in particular was what happened with Caroline. She went from shades of gray to all-black rather swiftly, her characterization a victim of the whiplash pace. Caught in this was our girl Kara. On one hand she's more like herself each moment, and I especially loved how she threw her cereal bowl (Incoming! Brace for impact!) at Lee. After Caroline's "dog" subplot, Kara's sniveling in Lee's arms? I was perplexed.

Premature Climax aka did-I-miss-it? Ah, what was the climax? Was it K&L's finding out they were married? I loved that section - eloquently written, emotionally complex, tonally sophisticated (funny, but scary at the same time), a gorgeous callback to one of my favorite scenes in all of fanfic - Lee's drunken/sherb tea proposal w/ Kara's subsequent punch with your exquisite prose (GentleReader pauses to genuflect before UB's awesomeness). If that was the climax, then why have Waynes even appear with the protective custody order and his lines about Lee's being a threat. You abandoned whole other plotlines, so don't distract from the power of the scene with Kara & Lee's discovery that they're already married by returning to another threat.

Jarring tone shift. This story is angst/romance. It got a little too light-hearted for me at the end (I'm jumping ahead a bit here.) A cute pet? Lee's having Kara as a commanding officer? The "you may call me God" line. Since it was a motif about their flying together in sims or whatever & having each other's six, I would have preferred something more serious yet romantic with a soupcon of humor. The ending was jarring for me because it read too broadly as comic relief. Another jarring tone shift was the plotline that Caroline's home had been a sanctuary and perhaps Leoben was cleaning up Lee's other home. Suddenly they're fleeing out the door because of Caroline's perfidy? Lee & Kara running...away...from trouble...together? Wasn't the point that they were supposed to stay and work out problems instead of fleeing?

I have to give you a shoutout in particular on this piece of crafting: "Lee leaned against the counter, energy and balance momentarily crashing as he nodded in reply. He took a moment to study her, noting she’d changed into an old pair of his sweatpants and loose pair of tanks (also his). For some reason, this warmed him in ways that had nothing to do with oaths, pledges, or fluid exchanges." Loved it.
mmmdonuts chapter 41 . 4/7/2009
I have practically devoured the whole piece in the last two days, and I have to say that it's been an emotional rollercoaster, but one I've embraced with open arms and enjoyed every singe word of it. I'm waiting (im)patiently for the next instalment, keep up the wonderful work!
1gwana chapter 40 . 3/30/2009
What a supremely satisfying ending. Doesn't hit too hard, doesn't resolve too much, but we have our kids together and we have our Kara healed—-with both of them becoming whole in the process.

This story was at times, a raw, visceral look into the psyches of our beloved pilots. The emotion, the sense of urgency, the compulsion, the addictive, ridiculously complementary natures of our heroes shine through, even when beset by sometimes incongruent motivations. At times, Kara felt too brittle and co-dependent, but she was in a terribly broken place, so I think it still rings true, even when it's feels so different from the Kara we know. Lee's attitude felt perfectly captured, and I often found myself most in synch with his voice (which is a natural tendency anyway for me).

I'm so glad you persevered and pushed this story all the way through. It has been a pleasure to read, and I look forward to the next one. Many thanks!
prudence dear chapter 41 . 3/22/2009
Sigh, that was just wonderful :) I was wondering how you'd wrap it all up and have to admit I was a little worried the end wouldn't be satisfying but, man, you sure managed to pull it off. The scene with Lee and Kara in the study and his reaction to Caroline's attitude toward Kara before was fantastic. I can't wait to see the sequel!

Cheers,