Reviews for Run that by me again?
katmom chapter 5 . 9/10
I've heard it bandied about that Lockhart was also proficient in a charm to induce adulation of himself!
katmom chapter 1 . 9/9
This was fun!
Sarge Socks chapter 1 . 9/1
An entertaining read. Thanks!
slytherinsal chapter 18 . 8/26
When I was at school they tried to pull the 'honour of the school' and 'school spirit' on me to give up a night at Girl Guides [which I enjoyed] to swim in an inter-school gala. I told them that I had no school spirit and that my parents, or rather, the governors, since I had a scholarship, were paying for me to have an education, meaning that the school was much like a shop selling a commodity I wanted. And I didn't have to go to a shop to waste my time outside of selling hours.
slytherinsal chapter 1 . 8/25
nicely done
I know you haven't written in this one forever but I have another logical fallacy that you could do! The whole 'taboo' name thing. If saying Voldemort was taboo, couldn't they have just called him Tom? Or Riddle, moldyshorts, or even just vold! They started saying his name and got cut off so many times, so clearly saying just vold- wouldn't trigger the taboo.
Brilliant
a chapter 5 . 8/13
I personally figured that the "no brooms and no quidditch for first years" rule was an attempt to make the playing field a little more level for muggle-born students. Most incoming students from wizarding families probably already had some experience with a broom. Not allowing any first year students to have them would give the muggle-borns a year to learn and catch up at least a little. Also, it would decrease the risk of the youngest students getting hurt without an adult nearby to help. And it might prevent homesick first years from trying to fly home by themselves if they want their parents. Actually, I'm less surprised that they forbid first years from having them and more surprised that they didn't forbid them to all but the oldest students (and only students in good standing at that).
a chapter 1 . 8/13
The thing that gets me most about the scene in the Whomping Willow is how quickly Sirius attacking and injuring Ron got brushed aside. Seriously, it was as if Harry said, "Oh! You didn't betray and kill my parents. Well, that's all right then. I'm thrilled to meet you!" while his best friend lay unable to get up because of injuries that Sirius was directly responsible for.

The werewolf thing was horrendous too, of course, but at least most people acknowledge that it was horrible (even if some take a 'blame the victim' mentality). However, Sirius attacking Ron is pretty much just ignored.

Anyway, I've noticed that the lack of a plausible story for how Snape ended up in that tunnel during his school days has led to some interesting explanations in fanfics. (Rowling really didn't think that one through.) The most common being that Sirius somehow tricked Snape into thinking Lilly was in trouble, causing him to rush off without a plan, like a Gryffindor, to save her. I think the most plausible that I've seen is from the end of chapter 28 of Darkglare's story "Snape's Worst Memory" (please be advised that the story contains adult content, if you consider reading it).

The story provides a lot of backstory that leads up to a violent and physical altercation between Snape and Black. During which, Black repeatedly knocks Snape's head against hard stone and Snape tries to distract him by taunting him. He makes a snide remark about how Lupin probably goes home so often to get away from his dorm mates. Black retaliates by basically calling Snape an idiot and telling him how to get into the tunnel, while hinting that Lupin doesn't really go home. (Personally, I don't get why they used the Shrieking Shack at all. Why not just let Lupin floo home to his parents and use whatever safety measures the already had in place?) A concussed Snape later tells his friends about the passage. After that, Darkglare's story takes a sharp turn away from the canon version of the story, with a much more tragic ending.

I tend to dismiss the claims that Snape ended up in that tunnel due to his being nosy as nonsense. Who told us that it was really Snape's own fault? The people responsible for endangering his life. I'm expected to trust their account why, exactly?

(If you have a kid who is routinely bullied by a group of another kids wouldn't he do everything he can to avoid them, rather than follow them around? Why would he go to a set place after curfew where they could attack him and no one would be around to help him? Why would he follow Lupin on the night of the full moon if he even suspected him of being a werewolf? It makes absolutely no sense.)
Whyhow chapter 17 . 7/29
If they don't want someone to be penalized in the "knowingly but not willingly" and "willingly but not knowingly" situations, shouldn't it just be and, not and/or?
The books are from Harry's PointOfView, and if he thinks everyone is in Looove with Lockhart, it is written in the books and that is called an unreliable narrator.
ardvarkeating101 chapter 5 . 7/14
I wonder if he put love potion in the water
benrobbins77 chapter 1 . 6/28
Brilliant!

As fascinating and entertaining as the Harry Potter series is, it really is rather poorly-written from a plot and world-building perspective. Way too many plot holes and inconsistencies. Rather similar to ASOIAF, unfortunately.
hisnhers chapter 6 . 6/22
Mirror. I said Mirror! Hello! Mirror! Nope Harry didn't hear that and well, you guessed it he went and all that bad stuff happened because he forgot about a mirror. One of the few presents from his Godfather. That belonged to his OWN father. Yup. That makes perfect sense... NOT. Teenagers. Their brains are so hormonal... sigh. Thank the Lord above I am waaaaayyyyyyy past
People being afraid to use Voldemort's name just doesn't make sense. There are and have been plenty of dictators and terrorists who killed many people, much more than the whole magical population, and people were not afraid to say their name.
And then in book 7 Rowling suddenly invents a reason for people to not say the name. Unfortunately, this means that Dumbledore was actively encouraging people to place themselves in danger in case Voldemort would came back, and Dumbledore was convinced he would.

It's just the same with the main topic of this chapter. He basically send them out without a plan or any support. And while Harry in this chapter thinks Dumbledore didn't have time to prepare, Dumbledore did in fact plan it that way, so he could have prepared some things. And I don't mean the things he left them in his will, because he had no reason the ministry would not interfere with his will.

Would it really have been too much effort to tell Harry that the sword of Gryffindor can destroy a Horcrux, and that he will place it with some order member where Harry would be able to retrieve it? Instead they get some dubious things from the will.
The only function of the Put-outer is that Ron can come back after he betrays them, so it seems Dumbledore considered that at least likely to happen.
Instead of the book on the Deathly Hallows he could have told them so they would have not wasted so much time guessing. On the other hand, so the had something to occupy themselves while they were wasting time. Not that the wand was important in Dumbledore's plan, because he wanted the wand to die with him. And the snitch to hide the stone. The only function of the stone was so that Harry's mother could tell Harry that she gave her life so that he would not die a quick, painless death, but instead he would suffer for fifteen years before he dies.

I get it that Rowling wants an exciting story, with obstacles to overcome. The problem is that the obstacles come mainly from Dumbledore. It seems that Dumbledore also wants to watch an exciting story, and cares more for the excitement than the result. If not for incredibly unlikely circumstances that result in the ownership of the wand and Voldemort's stupidity, Harry would be dead and Voldemort would have won.
1,954 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »