Reviews for The Eyes Of The World
Lilan chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
Wow, this is an outstanding piece, no matter what certain reviewers with their weird numbers say. Don't you ever doubt it's cool. It's so rare to find a ficlet that aims to understand Denethor, not to bash him. I also didn't get an impression that he's selfish; he's just prone to extreme reactions and feelings ("no love halved" and all), and for a person like that, it's ten times harder to cope with a loss.

Thanks for a very enjoyable read!

Lilan
Raksha The Demon chapter 1 . 7/2/2008
This is a great little gapfiller - the language is outstanding; flowing and sharp by turns. I especially like this line: "Silence reigns in Gondor, a bitter king that clears no dust from the seat of an abandoned throne." The use of the present tense is always risky, but you carry it off quite well; this is a very painful, crucial, dramatic time in the life of a very powerful and passionate individual, and it works.

I can't help but pity Denethor, while noting that he is still the fundamentally selfish man I saw in ROTK. Everything is about him; his grief and misery consume him; never mind that he has a responsibility as a father to notice that his six-year-old son is following him in a sobbing panic, or opening himself up to dangerous influences to try to catch a glimpse of Finduilas in the palantir may not be in the best interests of Gondor. But it's Denethor - when he messes up, it's on a grand scale. And his love for Finduilas was so strong; and that is conveyed quite well here.

I hope you will write more LOTR fanfiction; or, if not, continue to write, and hone your considerable talent - don't put it aside.
ReviewsGalore chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
Story/Characters: 7.5/10. I like the idea and the way that your portray Denethor, but I sort of feel like this story wants to be a character study, but never goes quite deep enough. We only ever get what Denethor is most concerned with at the moment without the little asides that could really make a piece like this shine.

Creativity: 7/10. Not an impossible idea to come up with, but not overdone either.

Writing: 8.25/10. I think that your writing in general is good. It is correct and flows well though there aren't any parts that stand out to me as particularly beautiful.

Believability: 8/10. I think that the idea is fairly believable and though very sympathetic to Denethor, I think that the fic is believable in general.

Overall: 7.75/10. Moderately well written, well executed fic, but it doesn't really stand out to me.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 6/28/2008
Very poetic.I liked this.
Gin-Juice chapter 1 . 6/28/2008
This is awesome! Beautifully written and wonderfully insightful.
Virtuella chapter 1 . 6/28/2008
Great! I've seen too much Denethor-bashing for my liking, so I am glad to find this sensitive portrayal of his grief and struggle. Who, indeed, could blame him?

Your prose is, as ever, excellent and a credit to you. You create a very powerful and atmospheric piece of writing.

A few niggles:

"Visage" sounds a bit derogatory. "Features", maybe?

"His sons flee before him, now." The repeated sentence would be more powerful without the second "now".

"the very height of the White Tower" better: "the very top"

A couple of times you used an adjective, where strictly speaking it should have been an adverb, but I wonder if that could go under some form of poetic license?
21 | « Prev Page 1 2