Reviews for Wish Carefully
FriendlyFire59 chapter 1 . 4h
A very good story and an excellent depiction of an unrepentant Malfoy. I followed a reference in TV Tropes to this story and very glad I did.
Thanks for having posted.
G Fawkes chapter 1 . 6/16
I don't usually even look at anything under 20K, but you received a recommendation from Andrew Wolfe "Ghost of Privet Drive". I only break the rules if it's a good lead.
It was. Never would have considered a fic narrated by Lucius, either. Nice work.
FlowerChild23 chapter 1 . 6/13
This is really good. This is probably one of the best exile stories i have ever read. It definitely breaks down the fall of pureblood culture with the loss of magic.

I feel sorry for those girls. Losing the opportunity to have their own lives and children would be harsh. I also find it funny with how the future malfoy heir despised the very culture Lucius Malfoy fought for.

Great work!
Schazmen chapter 1 . 6/13
This was... incredible. You held nothing back.
Damn, I don't know what else to say but... damn.
Nicor Warg-Fyrweorm chapter 1 . 5/31
That was terrifyingly realistic. Excellent job!
Narc626 chapter 1 . 5/9
Wow. This was very well done. Very Interesting. Be careful what you wish for indeed.
stevem1 chapter 1 . 4/5
This is done in Lucius’ voice and is brilliant. Family oriented but sick and amoral.
RevDorothyL chapter 1 . 3/24
Really well done!
Homarid chapter 1 . 2/20
That was very interesting. I love how you kept in character the whole time. We learned about the various demands and effects only through the thinking of Lucius instead of a simple summary.
moodysavage chapter 1 . 2/17
I really really liked this... very original.
kimjo2 chapter 1 . 1/28
What a fascinating premise and brilliantly executed. Thanks so much
AquaEclipse chapter 1 . 1/25
oh holy DAMN THIS IS GOOD
FANTASTIC, EVEN
I HAVE NO WORDS FOR THIS MASTERPIECE
IT'S JUST THIS GOOD
came on a tv tropes listing, stayed for how epic it was :)
JM0RIARTY chapter 1 . 1/19
yep inbreeding is a bitch isn't it? I love this story and I love that it's from Lucius Malfoys POV. It gives it that special kick.
JM
SyfyGuy2 chapter 1 . 12/7/2020
A delightful 'Harry Potter' one-shot with good attention to world-building, and I love how this is a hilarious black-comedy deconstruction of the fallacy in the Death Eaters' ideology and racist ideology broadly. :) :) Just a heads-up for when you read the below text, I'm the brutal-honesty type of reviewer.

Besides being satisfying to see the Death Eaters reap what they sow in such a way as this and find themselves trapped with no way out yet unable to hurt innocents in rage, I genuinely chuckled out loud at a couple points when reading this; most of all, Lucius' projection of Voldemort's likely future fate under the Rites of Parlay, and the Cruciatus Curse incident with the glasses! :'D :'D :'D The Malfoy portraits' reactions to Lucius' concubine-born great-grandson also get a good chuckle out of me, as does Lucius' comedic-sociopath reaction to the backlash of Death Eater Britain's concubine-kidnapping plot, and seeing the Malfoys and the Death Eaters reduced to being breeding-horses. :'D :'D

I'm not sure if Harry would've agreed to such a plan as this, since he has cunning but does sometimes let his heart overrule his head, unless something else happened to Harry in this AU to make him agree to this after Dumbledore's death. I can however imagine Dumbledore might've actually at least installed this plan as an emergency backup-plan to neutralise Voldemort in case the Plan A with Harry fell apart. This pact must've taken a lot of planning and consideration by the Trio and their allies to ensure it was airtight in containing the Death Eaters and protecting others from them, with no chance of them slipping around loopholes. I can also imagine Hermione would at first be horrified with this plan, but if the Second Wizarding War got bad enough she might juggle back and forth with it and eventually agree to it. I can imagine Hermione's planning would've been crucial alongside others' in making sure the exodus went perfectly for the Exiles, and in that respect, I'm chuckling that despite Lucius' realisation of how flawed pureblood-ideology really is, in the narration he still can't bring himself to recognise and give due credit to the Muggle-born who academically outperforms Draco. :'D One plothole I feel there is is the fact the Death Eaters are able to keep Voldemort in the dark about so many of their betrayals of their pureblood ideology they've made to try and stall their inevitable doom to the point that Voldemort is an authority-in-name-only - I feel Voldemort wouldn't be so easily controlled by his followers, especially when he has control over Britain and knows there's no reason to hold back his sadistic urges from his followers anymore, considering he is intelligent despite his flaws and mistakes and he doesn't have much to do after taking power.

I imagine the Exodus has likely made Harry and his friends controversial figures in the Wizarding World internationally, due to how morally questionable or cruel the plan might be according to modern moral thinking and also how it involves forcing thousands of wizards and witches to abandon their nation; even if it's a deserved fate for the Death Eaters, an even if it's had the extra benefit in the greater picture of ensuring pureblood-supremacy can't make a resurgence anywhere else in the world due to the entire world now seeing the results when the Death Eaters get what they want. I can imagine Fred and George in particular (it only occurred to me after reading that Fred is likely alive in the Pacific in this AU due to the divergence) are probably getting a laugh out of watching the fate of Death Eater Britain from afar. :'D Speaking of the Exiles' relocation and establishment of a new Wizarding World territory for themselves in the Pacific: as someone who hates hot weather and knows that Harry dislikes the summer at least because of the Dursleys, I wonder if they use magic to make it snow where they are. :)

Of course, there are still a few other unanswered questions about what happens in this AU that I'm curious about. I'm wondering what happens to Snape in this AU. Would he be counted as part of the Light and allowed to leave among the Exiles, or would his uses of Sectumsempra and the Unforgivable Curses and/or his possession of the Dark Mark tying him to Voldemort prevent that? I can imagine if Snape was unable to leave (or if he anticipated that he could leave, but Voldemort would still be able o torture him into insanity from afar using the Dark Mark once he realised Snape's true colours), Snape would be sure to kill himself in a rather dramatic fashion that Voldemort would find grievous to himself. I'm quite curious how Voldemort would be affected if/when he lost his magic by attacking a Muggle or non-dark wizard/witch, due to his Horcruxes - would the Horcruxes still work if Voldemort lost his magical skill, or would the Rites stripping Voldemort's magic power also depower his Horcruxes and kill the soul fragments inside them?

Speaking of the Rites of Parlay that Harry and his allies utilised to make this possible, I love how you give a subtle possible hint of wizardkind's origin in your universe, with the reference to Stonehenge and the Rites' ability to strip a witch or wizard of their magic power. Speaking further on the pact, I particularly love how everything the Death Eaters tried to get around it failed EXCEPT for Leonidas smuggling Death Eater Britain's squibs into Muggle orphanages so they and their descendants will have a good future. I feel that sole loophole was deliberately installed in the pact so that the Death Eaters' squibs and innocent other descendants wouldn't necessarily have to suffer for their parents' sins and would have a way out of the Death Eaters' condemnation - and the way Lucius can't comprehend that possibility heightens the idea in my mind as reader that the loophole is indeed deliberate and was inserted for precisely that purpose.

Onto my thoughts about how Harry and his allies were able to move the Heart of Hogwarts: I agree with something someone else said about how it breaks 'Harry Potter''s aesop about blood and ancestry not mattering, because of how the three descendants of the four founders just happen to all be major hero-aligned characters in the franchise. I think one of the founder-descendants who moved the Heart should've been a more minor canon character. Still, I very much like your idea that Harry is a descendant of both Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin due to their descendants intermarrying, even if the Potters didn't inherit Salazar's Parseltonguelike the Gaunts did. :) :)

Overall, this is a funny and delightful AU one-shot showing the folly of racial ideology in a satisfying and delightfully black-comedy manner, and it was fun to think about this AU's scenario. :) :)
GentCrowCruisin chapter 1 . 11/26/2020