Reviews for Field of Innocence
Hot n' Exotic chapter 1 . 12/22/2008
Wow. Breathtakingly powerful. :)

-Ami
TheVelvetVoice chapter 1 . 7/6/2008
simple, yet great.
The Cee Factor chapter 1 . 7/2/2008
Wow... that was so good! For a period of time in the books that Meg didn't really devote much explanation to, you still did a great job.

- Sarah

P.S. I'll be PMing you soon about something... when i stop getting kicked off the computer all the time...
Moonlight Silhouette chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
Wow. Powerful.

That's amazing. Really. You caught Suze really well. Kudos.

The General G of K chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
Oh, wow, Char, I am in awe. This is a beautiful piece on the loss of childhood innocence, and thankfully, it has nothing to do with losing the big "V" and everything to do with an unexpected death and the tolling weight of massive responsibility. I just want to cradle this piece in my arms and never let go.

Man, I wish I could write *half* as poignantly as you do in your "not my best work pieces".

Seriously, what isn't to like about this? Her childhood personified works so well because it evokes the right mixture of emotions when it leaves, and emphasizes the abruptness with which that innocence can just disappear. Plus, it also really shows the idea of two completely separate, different people in a simple, clear way.

Even when Gina comes over, something familiar to her, she rejects it because it feels like something from a past life, and that sense of abandonment is described so well.

Oh, and the idea that before the accident, the ghosts were viewed as her friends, and she found a safe haven with them. But post accident, the only thing they manage to bring is hurt and they'll forever be a physical reminder of Suze's burden, her responsibility that came way too soon in life.

And finally, this line:

["The little girl who dreamed of being Cinderella is gone. The imaginary friends are gone. Now there’s just Suze, the mediator. Ridding the city of ghosts, one soul at a time."]

Just...perfect. You can just picture her as this tortured superhero figure, never asking for the duty she has to do. And then the line before it with her mom buying her that pink dress showing that parents have a difficult time acknowledging or even accepting the transition from childhood to adolescence to adulthood. And then, finally, ugh! The heartwrenching last two lines, when she says she'll never look at the dress again, but "I still remember." Just lovely. Because really, no matter how much you try, you'll inevitibly remember heartache in your life.

Okay, okay. I'm done typing now. I just wanted to let you know what a gem this piece was, and that the lyrics were a nice melding point. This definitely deserves first place, if not first place infinity.

Emily
ekmemerald chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
I really enjoyed that :)

Twas awesome ;)
Dannie Tomlinson chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
Wow... Amazing.
Satellite Falling chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
You take my breath away with your writing. I love the way you describe Suze's lack of need for filling up the spaces with words. And the description of Suze's mom crying is haunting. It is so easy to picture the mascara running down her face. Brilliant!
Moondancing Millie chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
Wow! This was really good - I loved how you started from something less obvious, like the pink dress. And you used the words of the song really well. I am in awe.

Mil :-)