Reviews for Mrs Maggot Gives Directions
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 2/20/2010
A great story. Very well written.
AC2 chapter 1 . 12/28/2009
Excellent stuff! I thought you said you didn't like scary stories? Your description of the Nazgul put the wind up me! That delicious tingle of fear as the mysterious rider in black approaches, and you know it's a Nazgul because the dogs whimper and scarper. The way she handles the situation is very well done - you've captured her terror and desire to protect her family well. I enjoyed this immensely.
aotearoan chapter 1 . 9/25/2009
I think you're a wonderful writer! You create the mood really well, and the characters too. I loved the descriptions of the farmhouse goings-on and it was quite creepy waiting for the ringwraith to show up. I really like the way you flesh out the 'minor' characters and tell their stories. Fantastic.
Larner chapter 1 . 9/9/2009
A most worthy tale, Virtuella! She is full worthy to be considered a queen among farmers' wives!
Lindelea1 chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
Wandered in here for a re-reading (first read it on the LOTR-genfics list) and yes, just as good as I remember. Your characterisations are very deft, your descriptions put the reader in the scene.

Some might say the pacing is slow, but that is just how JRRT himself painted the Shire. (I remember getting stuck in the very earliest parts of FOTR and being unable to get past all the Party preparations and talk-I must have started the book a half dozen times or more before I finally got to Bree and found myself becoming interested in the story. Funny thing, now those Shire-based chapters, and the introductory material, and the Appendices, are my favourite parts!) I would say that your pacing is perfect for your subject matter.

(But then, I write rather long-winded as a rule, myself, except when taking up the challenge of a drabble. So take it for what it's worth. Still, you're in good company with what I consider some of the best story-weavers in LOTR fanfic.)

Do you post at SoA as well, or only here on ffnet?

A fine gapfiller. Will be watching for more from your pen... er... keyboard.
ReviewsGalore chapter 1 . 7/8/2008
Story: 8.75/10. I like the idea and it is a very entertaining read despite basically being a retelling. It feels very different from the scene in the book. I do think that the ending didn't feel quite enough like an ending. It can be very hard to make a story have a strong resolution when you are doing a scene retelling.

Characters: 8.75/10. I think that you characterize Mrs. Maggot very well. You don't get into her head that much, but that is a stylistic choice and not necessarily a bad one. You show enough little details of her life that I can get a sense of her character. And they do say "show, don't tell" after all. There is a part of me that thinks that this story might have worked better from Mr. Maggot's POV since the initial action happens to him and Mrs. Maggot is just observing for a lot of time. Although I do appreciate seeing a female POV.

Creativity: 9/10. This is probably one of the more creative retellings that I've read. You'd think that a fic about farm life would be dull, but it is done so little in fandom that it comes off as very original.

Writing: 9.5/10. Your writing is just so good. It flows very professionally and you have lots of great description that is not overdone.

Believability: 9.5/10. From what I can tell this fits in very, very well with the books. You were obviously very careful of the details of the chapter. I also love the little details about hobbit life and farm life in general - very realistic.

Overall: 9/10. Very well written fic that offers a nice glimpse of hobbit life. I was looking for the story to resolve itself a bit better, but in general, this fic is just very good.
Belladonna-Isabella chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
This is a wonderful story that fits seamlessly into the canon. As always, I loved your writing and particularly your descriptions. I really enjoyed reading this and can only praise you for writing it. Well done!
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
This was most enjoyable to see more minor characters who also played their part. I almost felt as if I were there!
Pearl Took chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
This is a wonderful warm tale, a gap filler that I don't think has been covered from this point of view before. The calm, quiet opening perfectly sets the stage for the suspense to come. The pacing is perfect as are the characters of the hobbits.

Most Excellently Well Done, Virtuella!
Lady Akyrial chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
I am not usually a Frodo fan, but this story was very nice and very well written. It seemed to be slow at first, but that is the pace of Hobbits and you captured the ambiance well. I liked the back - slice of life that you portrayed with Frodo's journey and the nice touches with packing the food. Your characters are very believable and fit in very well with Tolkien's genre.

I noticed your previous review was not very flattering and have to add three things. First, this reviewer has only had an account for less than a month, the writer has no stories - thus no experience to judge, and finally, the writer didn't offer you any real concrit. What was offered was a comment that your writing was flat. It seems to me that the writer of this concrit is really not au fait with Hobbits. Finally, if you look at the writer's bio, it is very sarcastic. I would say that it is someone who is trying to be more important than they really are. I haven't seen this author on any of the respectable forums - thus don't take this concrit to heart.
Aranethril chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
Flat. Lackluster. Unexciting. Nothing draws the reader into the tale. While the author understands Tolkien canon, Virtuella lacks the skill needed to write an engaging story.
Tina Marina chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
As par your request, I came and found this gem of a story. I believe that you don't get much attention due to the fact that most readers aren't on this site to read a story that would do Tolkien proud-his attention to detail especially-though I'm guessing that was your aim.

The beginning is also a little rough for anyone who hasn't read the books and isn't familiar whith how hobbits behave in their everyday lives, but for those of us who are, it's excellent.

However, I think that all that aside, this is a great story and I hope you start to get more and more readers. :)

Best of luck!

-Tina
Gogol chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
I really love the descriptions in this. The tone works perfectly for happy hobbitland (:D), with added edges of shadow that jar in their little world. And I quite like Mrs. Maggot, all in all.

I do wish she wouldn't use the word 'lass' quite so much, though.
Elemental-Jedi-Elf chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
This is a lovely short piece. Seems to come straight from the book itself, I could hardly tell it's fanfiction. I truly believe this a likely scenario and could easily fit it into canon. Great work!
Aphel chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
Nicely written - tumbs up!