Reviews for The Carver
Swellison chapter 3 . 9/18
wow,what a great setup for the story so far. Custodian Sam's nice spic and span clean floors trip up a poor, unsuspecting teacher, resulting in the need for a sub. Meanwhile, Dean manages to catch the answering machine's request for a sub at Marty's place, as he's checking out his too-good-to-be true source's house. Plus the delightful red herring of the space aliens theory. I told myself I was quitting at chapter 2 because I've got other things I should be taking care of, but how can I stop before reading about Dean's first day as a substitute history teacher? Plus, I love the flashback!
Woman of Letters chapter 8 . 6/1
Supernatural Fanfiction Monthly Awards Review (May 2016):

There were many things I loved about this story. The themes of Sam and Dean's perception of their school years, the question of why they both hate Halloween, an incredibly scary villain with an interesting origin/ backstory...

I did wonder how one woman was able to subdue all of those children. In my experience, kids would not sit still being carved up. Even if she only had 8 or 10 students, I feel like at least some of them would band together to fight her. Of course, she might have drugged them and tied them up while they were asleep...

The other question I had was: why would Sam and Dean not just come in as FBI or reporters or something more their normal M.O.? Or just pick the lock on the school and investigate after hours? I do get the need for them to be undercover, and yes, it's hard to interrogate kids on school grounds without looking suspicious. But to pay a custodian 200 or 400 (that was unclear to me) dollars so Sam could come in in that role... That seemed like a lot of work and expensive to boot. Then Dean only got in because a teacher slipped on the wet floor, which was all Sam's fault! Oy... I would have liked to see the boys come up with a smarter plan to infiltrate the school.

Putting these issues aside, I felt this story had a richness to it, in the memories and the characterizations, which were well done. I enjoyed the dialogue and the creepy scenes with the hanging children were truly awful and horrific. You really did bring out the combination of playfulness and scary that characterizes Halloween, as well as the boys' feelings about the holiday. Thank you for a memorable story.

Woman of Letters
theKender chapter 8 . 5/31
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review - May 2016

I loved this story. It was like I was watching an episode in my head instead of reading a fanfiction. The brothers were so in character in their actions and thoughts and words that I could easily see this as an actual episode of supernatural.
The flashbacks to Sam and Dean's childhood were a wonderful way to bring some insight into why they feel the way they do about things like Halloween. As well as showing more reasons for why Dean became the good little soldier for so long, always following his Dad's orders and barely thinking for himself unless it was to think of what his Dad would have told him to do.
It was a very solid case fic. The storyline is well thought out and solid. The schoolmarm villain is definitely supernatural worthy, scary and believable. Her backstory was descriptive and detailed and made perfect sense. And the one student she let live turning around and killing her was an awesome twist. The gruesome details brought plenty of angst and horror to it, yet you interspersed plenty of humor throughout that helped to moderate it. I especially liked the very first bathroom discovery scene. It was beautifully timed. So was the discovery of the second murder victim.
I’m very glad that you went with Dean being the substitute teacher. It was really nice to see him find a bit of niche within the teaching world and come to the realization that he actually taught those kids something.
Mariamo chapter 8 . 5/23
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review - May 2016

A nice lengthy story, with some really gruesome descriptions bringing plenty of horror to this Halloween tale.
Both Winchesters were out of their comfort zone with their temporary jobs, and this allowed room for a little humour to lighten the tone. It was good to see Dean tackle tutoring in his own, unique way!
The introduction of an eccentric OC who was not particularly important to the plot was refreshing and enjoyable.
A good little story.
SPN Mum chapter 8 . 5/12
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review - May 2016

This story was well done and true to the characters of Sam and Dean. The reasons for them to dislike Halloween, shown through flashbacks, were very believable. The horror of the discovery of the first victim lasted all the way through to the last chapter, and I was actually worried that Dean might end up being injured worse than he was. The slight condescension Sam portrayed to Dean over Dean's ability to be a teacher was also believable. You made the story just the right length, not spending too much time getting bogged down in Sam's concern for Dean's deal, and concentrating on the case, with a few flashbacks thrown in. I am looking forward to reading more stories by you.
HogwartsHussy chapter 8 . 8/17/2014
A great and scary tale!
HogwartsHussy chapter 7 . 8/17/2014
Ah ha!
HogwartsHussy chapter 6 . 8/17/2014
I'm so glad that Dean has the satisfaction of realizing that he has had a good effect on his students! Many will always remember his lessons about Roanoke while probably none will remember Mrs. Hadley.

But gah! That school play…...
HogwartsHussy chapter 5 . 8/17/2014
OMG! I know Dean would never have survived shooting a stupid, nasty teenage kid.

And how I wish I'd had a substitute teacher like him once! I did have some real memorable ones over the years though. I have very fond memories of Mrs. MacBride, my creative 5th grade teacher. And I had several marvelous teachers in my Manhattan art high school.
HogwartsHussy chapter 4 . 8/17/2014
At least she's being helpful!
HogwartsHussy chapter 3 . 8/17/2014
Paul Garfunkel! The old geezer who believes in aliens was a nice touch. And I'm soooooo looking forward to teacher Dean!
HogwartsHussy chapter 2 . 8/17/2014
Wow, now this is really shaping up creepily! I wish I had the restraint to wait until Halloween or at least October to read it!
HogwartsHussy chapter 1 . 8/17/2014
Great start! The murder was gruesome it even got to me in print without visuals.
White Wyrsa chapter 8 . 4/30/2014
Ah, loved it for so many reasons... One of the stories I could never re-read) Thank you SO much!)
White Wyrsa chapter 6 . 4/30/2014
Perfectly staged and performed. I nearly broke out in a cold sweat (if it was dark outside I actually could xD) and I almost feel somewhat ashamed enjoying "death spectacle" so much)