Reviews for Heirs of Gondor
IstariWho chapter 5 . 2/16/2014
Nice story!
I wish they showed more of this relationship in the movies.
It would be fun to have a story about Aragorn telling Boromir that he was Thorongil... especially if Boromir could remember being bounced on his knee.
Hannon-le!
Emberike chapter 5 . 6/7/2011
This was well-written and an interesting read! I like your portrayal of both Aragorn and Boromir, especially Boromir since one doesn't often read fics from his perspective.
Eiladwyn chapter 1 . 1/22/2011
I like the way you built up their relationship very slowly, keeping it cordial at first and then making it into hints of a real friendship.

There are a few errors in grammar and sentence structure everynow and then, but nothing too distracting.

Thankyou )
Deandra chapter 5 . 8/7/2008
Very interesting series of tales, and very well done. I was led here by jewelled hunters C2 listing with you on it.

These are good characterizations of both Boromir and Aragorn, and their slowly developing relationship. Boromir's reserve with Aragorn, even while he is eager to 'study him out' makes perfect sense for the consummate soldier that he was. He knows what the return of the king will mean, both to him and to Gondor, but he is open to the prospect if it is in everyone's best interest. Gondor first!

One thing you might be mindful of, though I noticed it most strongly in ch. 3:

Before I came back to Imladris I visited the largest settlement of the DĂșnedain in the Angle. Before starting my own long journey, I had ordered some of my own men to scout

You started two consecutive sentences with 'before' and used 'my own' in both of them also. Though redundancy can be a useful tool, in this case I don't get the impression that it was intentional.

- Deandra
Ellynn chapter 5 . 7/25/2008
Aww, sweet ending. :) And yes, they will be friends. :)

Thanks for writing this nice and warm story.
Angel of the Night Watchers chapter 4 . 7/8/2008
I really like the story, I passed it onto my sister and now she really likes it. I really think the way you're portraying Boromir is the way he actually is inside. In the movies they put him as the antagonist in the story line and I really think Boromir was a nice guy who was just preyed upon by the ring. Excellent job!
Ellynn chapter 4 . 7/7/2008
I love the idea that Aragorn showed Boromir the re-forging of Narsil.
Esther Jade chapter 4 . 7/7/2008
Hello again! ;)

One thing I found a bit odd in this installment is that the conclusion felt like it was two steps back from the introduction. Take this sentence: "I am eager to bring the heir of Isildur to Minas Tirith". To me, this sounds like Boromir has accepted Aragorn. Reading on, I think what was being said is that he'd accepted Aragorn as a valuable fighter but naming him as the "heir of Isildur" makes it seem to me that he's accepted Aragorn's claim. But this isn't what the conclusion suggests.

Anyway, still an interesting and well-written development.

Minor points (:)):

There is suddenly a knock on my door. - This bothers me as a transition sentence. I would suggest maybe removing the "suddenly".

and to my surprise Aragorn is there - This also struck me as awkward. Maybe it would read better as "and to my surprise it is Aragorn". Not sure.

In a small glade near the river are what I can make out to be forges - Some of this feels a bit too wordy to be. Maybe rephrase as "In a small glade near the river there appear to be forges".

a couple elves working at them - I think there is an "of" missing between "couple" and "elves".

He is watching the elf smiths with great attentiveness. - Maybe change "with great attentiveness" to "attentively". I know most writers are allergic to adverbs but I think in this case it might read better.

I am slightly surprised at first, but soon suppose it is logical that the blade re-forged would be named anew, as well. - This feels a bit too modern to me. Maybe something like "This surprises me. But considering it, perhaps a blade reforged should be named anew". Don't know...

the slight lingering of her hands upon him - This strikes me as a better vague and could be interpreted rather dodgily. ;)
SilverrAngell chapter 3 . 7/3/2008
I love Boromir in this fic! He seems so much friendlier than he is usually portrayed. Amazing :)
Ellynn chapter 3 . 7/3/2008
This is such a nice and warm moment. They are both portrayed well. I love this. :)
asdfjkl chapter 3 . 7/2/2008
i love boromir! he's so funny.
Esther Jade chapter 3 . 7/2/2008
I enjoyed this chapter as well. I like how you paint their evolving relationship. I also like, though it is a small detail, your references to the rest of the Dunedain. I always thought it a bit sad that Peter Jackson scrapped all references to them.

Just a few minor comments:

It is now just a minute after my meeting with him. - This sentence reads awkwardly to me. Perhaps it needs a more gradual transition, maybe something like "With my meeting with Elrond concluded, I can now think of my more immediate needs..." Hm, not sure.

after only a couple brief meetings. - There's an "of" missing between "couple" and "brief".

And you resemble him quite a bit. - The "quite a bit" strikes me as too contemporary a phrase. Could just be me.

for I will need his support throughout the coming days. - Hm, nothing particularly wrong with this. I would consider changing the "throughout" to a "through"; for me, it would fit better with what the future held (though, of course, Aragorn wouldn't have known this yet - I just think it would a nice foreshadowing).

And, admittedly, I wish for it. - Again, nothing wrong here. I just think it would end the chapter on a stronger note if you took out the "admittedly".
LOTRRanger chapter 2 . 7/1/2008
Impressive. I like how you portrayed both Aragorn and Boromir.
Esther Jade chapter 2 . 7/1/2008
I was very impressed by how you managed to communicate the change in character so well. The distinction between the two narrative voices was very clear - and you clearly know your Tolkien-lore well (I must admit that I don't know nearly so much).

I enjoyed this chapter. I did notice three little things in the writing that I thought I should mention:

end up in vain. - I think it would match the tone of the rest of the writing more without the "up".

I cannot be quite sure on my lord father's actions - I think there is a typo here and the "on" should be an "of".

Do not doubt that I will not defend her well - I found this double negative a bit confusing.
Esther Jade chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
I enjoyed this chapter - I thought it was well-written and well-personified. I particularly liked this turn of phrase: "turning the young toddler I once bounced on my knee into man in his prime" (though there's an "a" missing in there).

I did find the transition to present tense a bit jarring but once I got used to it, it didn't bother me.