Reviews for Mary's Alice
cachstardust chapter 1 . 7/20/2008
Oh my gosh... I've never read such a portrayal of Alice's history. One thing that characterizes your writing is how the characters aren't simple creations- they're always much deeper and every decision and emotion made with all the ambiguity and regret that characterizes humans. I wish you would write longer fics! (By the way, I'm so honored to be in your profile. It was a total surprise, but of the best kind ])
Annarina chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
Stop making me cry, girl. This was... so beautiful, and really, really heartbreaking. I don't know how you wrote it, or what inspired you. I love the little touch of Isabelle. As if at a very young age Alice knew Bella would come into her life, a century later. And Alice matching the clothes. The whole situation is something so.. probable, almost, for the time period. That makes it sadder, even.

I really, really love this piece. Like you don't even know. Never been much of an Alice fan? Well, as usual, you changed that. She'll have a special spot in my heart from now on. As well as Mary.
Ell Michelle chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
I very nearly cried. You did a great job at showing how hard it would have been to have a daughter like Alice. I hate when people just assume that her parents were terrible people. Yeah, that last line nearly put me over the edge.
BabelFish42 chapter 1 . 7/15/2008
Have I mentioned I love your writing? You're just so... compassionate, I guess, when it comes to your characters. None of them are all good or bad, and that makes them so much more real. Excellent job with Mary.

"There are very rarely evil people in the world, only evil actions, bad decisions, and human nature."

Couldn't agree more.

I liked your ideas for things Alice might have done to freak her parents out. And Alice as a 4-year-old is so adorable! Already fascinated with clothes, lol.
nia-ox chapter 1 . 7/14/2008
You're right - I never really thought about Alice's parents being evil, but now I see the sacrifice they (could have?) made. It must have been terribly painful for Mary, and you portrayed that beautifully. I was a little sniffly through most of the story - but the last passage, 1920, had me sobbing. It's so terrible that Cynthia doesn't know, and that Mary has to keep such a secret with her.

And even worse than this, we know that Alice will never know about any of it - not that her mother was ridiculed for bearing the Devil's child, not that she had to send her away, for her own good... not even that she wished for forgiveness.

You write beautifully - and you captured that era completely. There's a depth in your writing that you don't see in many others'. Keep on writing :D
nyckiii chapter 1 . 7/12/2008
Oh. My. Carlisle. That was the best pre-Cullen story about Alice I have Ever read. EVER ;)
CassiexLynn chapter 1 . 7/9/2008
Oh god. This is amazing. Wow.

I really do feel sorry for Alice.

I suppose I feel sorry for her mom, too. She's not the bad guy, but I don't think she's exactly the "good" guy, either. She did feel guilt, though, and that's a good point for her. I don't understand how the visions could make her scared of her own daughter, but some people are like that. I liked William an immense amount though; he seemed caring and very compassionate to his daughter.

This is very well thought-out and well written. Great job, really.
Ein Kampf kann eine Lebenszeit chapter 1 . 7/4/2008
I absolutely loved it. It brought me to tears, and it was just so sad, beautifully written though.
Kem'Ajiana chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
OMG! So sad! I
Hidingsorealpeoplecantfindouta chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
That was really really good and original and just all around great! Good joB!
EternityAwaitsMe chapter 1 . 7/1/2008
That was..wow. I love the way that you've written this! It was amazing. I can just see the struggle to keep Alice from hurting herself or others.

This was a very good story, I enjoyed it immensly. Theres really nothing that you could or should have done differently. It's very detailed and I really enjoyed it. Good Work!
gone11111 chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
This was written beautifully! I loved how sweet William was, and I understand why Mary sent Alice to the asylum. She was just overwhelmed with the possible dangers to Cynthia and the gossip and the shortage of money... It almost seemed like Mary didn't care for Alice, but I'm sure she really did love her. And the emotions here were very profound, and I enjoyed reading this very much!

Lovely job!

Sara
LunaPuff chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
Wow. This... makes sense. I could see Alice's parents doing this. Or rather, her mother. This was really great.
amgglekim chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
I'm going to read it again tonight when I can give it my full attention...as of right now, I can tell you that I loved how you showed the struggles that Mary had with raising Alice, and how she wanted to love her fully, but just was afraid.

I adored how you showed even Mary had a touch of intuition in the naming of the baby... that if it was a girl, and naming her Mary Alice, there wouldn't be the closeness there should be between mother and daughter.

Very well written, I am curious how different things might have been for Alice had her father lived... very close to cannon, can truly believe that this is the actuality, not just a fanfic.
KlutzLike Bella chapter 1 . 6/30/2008
Wow. That was... beyond phenominal. Amazing. The best thing I have ever read about this part of Alice's life.

It doesn't matter that you didn't win. With pieces like this, you should have.
35 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »