Reviews for Vox Angelica
BenRG chapter 14 . 12/6/2014
What a tangled web we weave!

A great work Soledad! I can recommend this story to anyone who chooses to read it. You are a good mystery writer who managed to suck me into the story and believe in the characters from the outset. You caught the personality of hte canon characters perfectly and your OCs were nicely realised.

Your real triumph? I didn't discern the culprit until YOU wanted me to. You pretty much put a flashing light above their head but, before then, she was a background character and instantly overlooked. That is a writing triumph about which you can be proud and a trick of which the Mistress, Agatha Christie herself would have used.

Thanks for sharing this work with me! That was four hours well spent!
BenRG chapter 13 . 12/6/2014
It seems that I underestimated Amadea. She was a fanatic; willing to kill for the sake of her own piety and filled with only contempt for other souls around her. It sounds chillingly close to a psychopathic personality disorder. I have no doubt she would do so again if she considered it in the interests of her own pursuit of her fantasy of holiness.

What will happen to her? She is a murderess and sought to frame an innocent man (one of her Brothers too) for her crime. The penalty for that is death. However, I can see de Clinton persuading Hugh to hand her over to the Church for its own discipline so as to avoid the scandal that a public trial under the King's law would create. The Church, on the other hand, has its own... rather pre-Christian ways of handling this, most of which it inherited from the pagan Roman state. Strangulation by a badly-botched hanging would be merciful compared to how the Church would handle a woman whose personality disorder would convince the Inquisition that she was something quite evil.
BenRG chapter 12 . 12/6/2014
People do the strangest things when they convince themselves that they are God's instrument. Everything points towards Amadea being a strangely arrogant soul, determined in some way to prove her own perfection. There, before her, lies a man, a mortal sinner and about to take away from the Piory a grant in an attempt to buy forgiveness for his sins. Kneeling there, begging for some kind of absolution for his sins. It would be so very, very easy; at the time it might have even seemed good and righteous.

I just wonder who she was before she took the holy orders. I have a feeling that it is in there that we shall find the true motive for this action.
BenRG chapter 11 . 12/6/2014
I'm wondering if that silly girl did something very, very ill-judged but which, at the time, seemed to her to be Divine will.
BenRG chapter 10 . 12/6/2014
I am not so shy as Cadfael. 'Godric', is appears, is Garth, and young Hamo is his younger brother. How odd that they should find themselves both dragged together by their father's final, fatal misfortune! Still, Godric has something to explain - He has his own mighty motive (for, I suspect, his father may have murdered his mother in a fit of rage) and Hamo is an unknowing scapegoat very much at his mercy.
BenRG chapter 9 . 12/6/2014
Eata is a smart one; unfortunately, she's found the secret of one and possibly two desperate men. Right now, she's fortunate to be heading away with Cadfael and some guards to a town, leaving Patrice and Rudolfus to handle the fallout should godric decide to surrender his... guest.
BenRG chapter 8 . 12/6/2014
I would tell Godric that a time like this is a poor time for secrets. Still, "Enhanced Interrogation" is a blunt instrument so early into the investigation, especially if applied in a random, scatter-shot manner. Things are still in their early stages. The son still needs to be found and made to account for his movements and actions for, as unlikely he is to be responsible, as Cadfael explained, he must be considered to have the singled greatest motive for his father's death, absent of some other intelligence of the Haminch family's affairs that the Sisters can provide.

I did love the scene of Cadfael and Sister Alphonse as CSI Medieval! A dead body can tell tales; it can tell you all you need to know, if you know where to look. What's important here, IMO, is that this wasn't an impulsive attack. Strangling a man to death takes a while and is grim, hard business. Whoever did this had either the deep-seated hatred or calculated malice to stick with the task.
BenRG chapter 7 . 12/6/2014
Yeah, there are several issues coming to a head more-or-less simultaneously here. That wannabe-saint worries me the most. I can't forget Brother Columbanus, you see. Those that seek sainthood in such a way that others (even in the Order) mock it tend to be false in heart; compare that to young Rhun, who never sought it but seems destined to earn it on honest merit.

Young Hamo is too blunt and simple to be the cause of any serious issues. Even if he turns to to violence, he isn't the sort who would be able to hide his actions and he would be detected almost immediately.
BenRG chapter 6 . 12/6/2014
Yep; this is the moment it starts to happen. There are so many ticking time bombs here at Farewell that it is going to take a full-scale miracle to avoid a major incident.
BenRG chapter 5 . 12/6/2014
It looks like Magdalen has been a seriously divisive influence at Godric's Ford. Yet, the fact that Bishop Roger didn't have her reassigned somewhere (when I've got to believe he knows what her colleagues thin)k where a strong senior could rein her in suggests that, for he faults, she isn't as bad as Eata and her own blunt attitudes and manner suggest.

It is possible that the Sisters appreciate her firm hand or are confident that she has no favourites and is merely managing to her best ability. It is equally possible that she has a counterpart at the cell who has been the soft and spiritual to her hard and practical. That said, she would do worse to take Cadfael's counsel into mind and perhaps change her ways a little.

I do think that Eata's... not /ambitions/ but her /personal desires/ may yet bear unexpected fruit.
BenRG chapter 4 . 12/6/2014
The Medieval church was as much an empire as it was a religious organisation and it it had all the machinations, politics, back-biting, petty rivalries and the ambitious carving out their own little petty kingdoms in the outlying regions as any purely secular state.
Edhla chapter 14 . 6/18/2013
Lovely scene between Astola and Garth, and the best conceivable outcome of this story for both. Really loved this story x
Edhla chapter 13 . 6/18/2013
Loved the resolution- clever to hide malevolence under silence. I do feel terribly sorry for Mother Patrice, though :-(
Edhla chapter 12 . 6/18/2013
Particularly loved the exchange between Astola and Eata. The rosebush becoming part of the evidence was lovely use of Chekhov's Gun. :-)
Edhla chapter 11 . 6/18/2013
And the plot thickens! Love the depiction of Ifan, and Garth/Godric's backstory and motivations really do ring true.
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »