Reviews for Vox Angelica
Edhla chapter 14 . 6/18/2013
Lovely scene between Astola and Garth, and the best conceivable outcome of this story for both. Really loved this story x
Edhla chapter 13 . 6/18/2013
Loved the resolution- clever to hide malevolence under silence. I do feel terribly sorry for Mother Patrice, though :-(
Edhla chapter 12 . 6/18/2013
Particularly loved the exchange between Astola and Eata. The rosebush becoming part of the evidence was lovely use of Chekhov's Gun. :-)
Edhla chapter 11 . 6/18/2013
And the plot thickens! Love the depiction of Ifan, and Garth/Godric's backstory and motivations really do ring true.
Edhla chapter 10 . 6/18/2013
Back as promised :-) I continue to love how well written this all is, and how you keep the reader's attention with little more than dialogue between some fascinating characters. Also really like how Cadfael's inquisitive and thorough nature came out here.
Edhla chapter 9 . 6/18/2013
I continue to love Sister Alphonse, and loved your depiction of Dame Astola, too- so many multi-faceted depictions of womanhood in this fic. Query: is 'to term' an authentic medieval expression? It strikes me as rather modern, though I'm not certain. In any case, I continue to love this.
Edhla chapter 8 . 6/18/2013
And we're down to the pointy, gruesome part of the plot! Fantastic :-D Sister Alphonse is awesome, incidentally.
Edhla chapter 7 . 6/18/2013
Again, fascinating discussions in this chapter, particularly regarding hermits, inheritance and serfdom :-)
Edhla chapter 6 . 6/18/2013
Particularly loved the two candidates and the ensuing discussion on the variety of women who would take orders, and the variety of underlying reasons... :-)
Edhla chapter 5 . 6/18/2013
Some excellent depictions in this chapter, particularly of Magdalen, Eata and Mark. I did notice a few typos, mainly dropped letters, but as I'm reviewing on a phone I'm not able to C and P where they all are.
Edhla chapter 4 . 6/18/2013
Not surprised that Sister Magdalen was appointed! Nice tense scene there, with an excellent hook into the next chapter...
Edhla chapter 3 . 6/18/2013
Excellent OC, believable and personable. I particularly liked the implied observation that nuns of the period were quite often better educated than their secular counterparts. I did think 'get married' sounded a little modern- 'marry' instead, perhaps? But then this is an old fic so I'm assuming you're not keen on revising :-) On the off chance that you are, I'd perhaps reconsider the 'TBC' endnotes, as they're a wee bit of authorial intrusion. But stellar work as always x
Edhla chapter 2 . 6/18/2013
Again, I'm astonished at your attention to detail and character. In terms of plot, this chapter was light, but it's teeming with fascinating insights into medieval life and with lovingly- hewn characters, most of whom I love already.
Edhla chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
This is brilliant! The sophistication of your prose and plot, combined with your knowledge of medieval history and monastic life, make this a sublime read. Very taken both with the little offhand remark that gives historical context to the tale (Stephen and Maude) and the acknowledgement that many women who joined convents did have chequered pasts. Reading on...
Rishie chapter 14 . 11/7/2012
This is a great storyy, and the historical research you did made a nice touch. I suspected the nun from the first just because she seemed so unlikely yet there was emphasis put on her that made her mseem suspiciousto me.

Your characters are clearly defined, you are obviously a very thorough writer because everything was well thought uout, things falling into place at just the right time. Great job!