Reviews for Strange Creatures
arctapus chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
This was outstanding. A nice look at life from the other side. Beautifully done.
femme4jack chapter 1 . 3/31/2010
LOVE IT! Wish I had something more intelligent to say. Would love a follow-up after Prime has come back from the dead.
Artemis1000 chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
A very interesting perspective! Directly after reading "Indefinite Objects", this feels like a mirror piece with the Cybertronians asking the exact same questions about humans, whether they are really people or just organic machines really good at pretending.
Wandering Raccoon chapter 1 . 8/2/2009
Holy cow, after just finishing reading "Indenfinite Objects" to find the very next fict is more or less the same story but from the Autobot's POV reguarding humans, WOW! How incredibly insightful! I loved every single bit of this!

LOLs, I think I'm gonna have to read all your stories now!
Calger chapter 1 . 7/15/2008
Apologies again in the delay of reviewing this, it's great to see more stories from you! It's been awhile :D Anyway, I just love this little scene between 'hide and Ratchet, it seems to fit in nicely with Bridges, one of those off-camera moments. You have a real knack for seeking out the 'bots' alien perspective on things, and the debatable existence of a soul would certainly be a place where they would find themselves at a bit of a loss. For them a spark is a tangible, visible object, with a definite origin. Not so in organic creatures. What makes us truly alive, and do you need sentience to have a soul? I think any pet owner would argue that point. And yes, things are different for them now; no Allspark, no new sparks, no new life. I have a feeling this won't be the first time these two friends discuss this subject.
Trapped in Reality chapter 1 . 7/14/2008
What about a soul? Couldn't they sense the human soul?

Nicely written.
An Cailin Rua chapter 1 . 7/6/2008
I agree very much with a previous reviewer, this feels very much like a companion piece to "Indefinite Objects", and one that adds a layer of completeness that we might not have even realized should be there, what with that whole innate anthropocentrism concept we've got going. I suppose with "Indefinite Objects" it's much easier to figure out what we might consider "not alive" since it's from our point of view, and based in our value system, and that's what makes this one so fascinating, and in its own way more complicated. One must first extrapolate from a non-human point of view what non-humans might value in considering something "alive", and having never really dealt with something they would have to figure out whether it was "alive" up close and personal, it makes sense that this would be a somewhat jarring experience. Sort of an unconscious experience at first that would grow to nag at you, perhaps similar to being close to another person and realizing that they had absolutely no smell, something most people I would imagine would take for granted but be rather disconcerted by.

It's interesting that Ironhide's the first to notice this lack of spark, and that he should be bothered by it. It seems like you almost paint him as having more of a "leisure space" in his psyche to mull on this sort of thing, whereas Ratchet doesn't allow himself that sort of luxury at all. Makes sense that he'd have done so, almost ties in with that TRIApram idea from your first TF story, given that he's had to numb himself for so long. But now it's almost like he's being assaulted by this concept of "leisure space" in his mind; free time's almost a curse when you've got so much to mull on. I imagine that the aliveness or not-aliveness of humans will be the least of it in the long run!

The use of Figeuroa dying and coming back is especially interesting; does raise a good question of what you do with a species that clearly doesn't at all fall into the parameters of what you consider "alive", and therefore must be more akin to a drone. Awesome de-anthropomorphization. We can always use more of that. ;)
Dragon of Dispair chapter 1 . 7/4/2008
nice. kinda creepy.

i love that the "is it really a person" debate would go the other way around too. not just humans wondering if the machines are really people, but the machines thinking the humans might not be too. and it makes sense.

i e-mailed it to a friend of mine to read.
Jessie07 chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
Cool story! Keep up the great work!
Carmilla DeWinter chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
Now you've managed to creep me out. You're taking things to their logical conclusion, and I can somehow empathize witht he bots.

No one's got proof what this thing we call soul is...
Guest chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
Ooh, Ironhide as a philosopher. That's something you don't see every day. The question of what makes me, me, or the existance of my 'so-called soul' is too hard for my little mind to figure out. But, I bet the 'Bots could come up with an explanation if they put their CPU's to it. And just think of all the other puzzling, human stuff they will come up against.

Good, deep-thinking story.
Ladyofthebookworms chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
well, you aren't the only ones to wonder about the soul, it's been a point of debate for years!

Nice to see you again!
Natsuki chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
I always enjoy the questions your 'fics bring up in the context of the Transformers universe - Earth /is/ an entirely different world to what they might have known before, and even Ironhide is trying to find the similarities, something to equate to his experience.

Also, hurrah for Fig rebooting.
Bluebird Soaring chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
Wow, this one has me really floored! How alien earth must feel to them on a fundamental level. Poor Hide, trying to find sparks in beings he knows don't have them, just to convince himself they aren't drones! Humans are such a quandry to put it mildly, and yet he knows Sam was the one who stopped Megatron. Sam, a little, fragile sparkless human. Sorry Hide, they don't have scans for the human soul yet...you'll get use to it. As always you have so many little touches and details that add richness to your writing. The little snarky bit at the beginning with Ratchet not having time nor inclination to change his internal clock to Earth time sets the stage and mood for what comes next. The detailed mech specs - eg - salvage of Jazz - provides such an interesting counterbalance for the discussion of sparkless humans, esp the bit about one who died and yet didn't die after all. I can easily imagine Ironhide being nervous about helping in Ratchet's medbay as it's not really his thing, but you segway perfectly into the scanning compulsion he's developed and the deeper conversation just flows right out naturally. And then Ironhide gets Ratchet thinking...now that's a nice twist too! And if I had to pick just one line as a favorite, it has to be when Ratchet thinks that Ironhide has possibly developed cortical damage due to his strange questions...I had to smile to myself in spite of it all! Very well done!
pa84 chapter 1 . 7/3/2008
Wow. that really feels like a companion story to "indefinite objects". I'm not sure if it was intended this way and it certainly works wonderfully as a stand alone and yet I have to draw parallels between these two stories: the misunderstanding, the differences, the question of what consciousness is and what makes us more than drones following the rules of our bodies, the programming of our brains...

And over all the wonderful philosophy a very well written interaction between Ironhide and Ratchet, which comes so naturally, as something like this story could - well - just happen. And Ratchet's mourning for Jazz.

All in one text - very well done and thank you so much for writing and sharing!