Reviews for From Time to Time
SweetKnees chapter 10 . 12/2/2015
This is such a good story. You weaved in the extra scenes effortlessly. I wish they'd hired you as a WW writer and that this whole story had been a part of the episode.
alix33 chapter 10 . 12/18/2012
"The President was still singing. "Down and down I go, round and round I go, like a something that's caught in the – oh, morning, Charlie." "Leaf," Charlie said as he put the mug of coffee on the Resolute Desk. "What?" "Like a leaf that's caught in the tide." Jed looked at him in surprise. "You're a young man, Charlie. I thought you'd be into the Foo-Fingers or Plum Jam – not Sinatra." "Foo-Fighters and Pearl Jam? Not my scene. Anyway, my Mom was a Sinatra fan – I was brought up on Sinatra." Jed nodded. "That explains a lot." - Hehehe.
"thanks for – er – organising things last night, Charlie." "Was everything – um – to your satisfaction, sir?" Jed raised amused eyes from his coffee. "Oh yes – very definitely. And where the hell did you manage to get those roses from?" "Carmen's House of Flowers, sir – it's the White House's usual supplier." "At eight thirty in the evening?" "Say the words 'White House' to Carmen and she'll produce a White Bolivian Fuchsia if you ask for one!" "A White Bolivian–? Is there such a thing?" Charlie grinned. "I don't know, sir – you want me to check it out?" "Not really. But anyway, thanks, Charlie. Oh – and by the way, Zoey likes roses too." "Yes, sir." Charlie's dark skin hid the blush that rose to his cheeks, but he had caught the twinkle in the President's eyes." - Yay! for Charlie.
"But she's aware – as I'm sure you are – of the possible effects on cognitive functions." "Yeah," Jed said briefly and drew in his breath. "Language processing, concentration and short-term memory – and then impaired intellectual reasoning and judgment." "With respect, sir, I would suggest that all of us when we reach our sixties can experience all of that, with or without MS. I have a pretty good command of language but there are times when I have to search for a word I want to use–" Jed broke in. "You didn't have any problem with 'egregious'!" he said with a grin. Fitz looked puzzled and, after a quick glance at Leo, Jed went on, "My Chief of Staff had to look that up in the dictionary – and he's only in his fifties!" - Hehehe.
"Jed nodded. "Yeah, but–" he hesitated then went on, "what about impaired reasoning and judgment?" Fitz looked at him steadily. "Mr President, if I ever suspected that you were being irrational or were displaying dysfunctional cognitivity, I'd tell you to get the hell out of my Situation Room, make no mistake about that. But in the meantime, my job is to serve the United States of America – and its elected President. And I shall continue to do so, to the best of my ability." Jed drew in a deep breath. "Thank you, Fitz," he said in a voice that was suddenly choked with emotion. "I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate that." "Just remember, sir, MS doesn't necessarily lead to cognitive problems – and, judging by the infrequency of your episodes, you still have a long way to go before your relapsing- remitting develops inside secondary-progressive – if it ever does." - AW!
"Leo nodded. "Yeah." He gave Jed his lopsided grin. "Though I still can't see you taking kindly to him throwing you out of the Situation Room!" Jed grinned too, then his face stilled. "If it ever comes to that, Leo, then you remove me forcibly, okay?" Leo looked at him steadily. "Please God it never comes to that." "Amen," Jed replied." - I would pay good money to see that.
alix33 chapter 9 . 12/18/2012
"Then she glanced over his shoulder. "Shouldn't we blow all those candles out – before we set fire to the White House?" "You gonna run out with Washington's portrait like Dolley Madison did when the Brits burned the White House then?" "If I had to run out of here, it would be with my make-up and my medical bag!" Abbey replied. "And some clothes on you, I hope?" Jed said with a laugh. Abbey's eyes studied him. "What would you take if we had to get out of here in a hurry?" "You," he said. She grinned. "No – I mean – of all the priceless things there are in this place – what means most to you?" "Abbey, it's well past midnight – and you expect me to start thinking about things like that?" "Okay – the first thing that comes into your head then – after me, I mean?" Jed thought for a split second. "The Resolute Desk – though I'm not sure I could actually carry it out on my own. Leo would have to help me." Abbey laughed at the mental image of them struggling with the solid oak desk." - Leo, the president and the president's desk made for a very funny mental pic.
"Lying there, he thought of the last couple of days then started to smile. "Ipse, ab tempore ad tempus–" he said, almost to himself. Yeah, he thought – there'd be another State of the Union, another crisis to solve – and another MS attack... "You gonna start talking Latin to me now?" she sighed, her eyes still closed. "D'you know what it means?" "Haven't a clue – something about time?" "He shall from time to time..." Abbey turned towards him, opened her eyes and smiled lazily. "From time to time means once a year for the State of the Union – you'd better make damn sure that doesn't also apply to making love." Jed grinned. "Not a chance," he said. "The word for that is 'saepe'." "Meaning?" "Often." "That sounds okay to me." - AW!
alix33 chapter 8 . 12/18/2012
"Still holding Abbey's hand, Jed led her into the Mural Room where the senior members of the West Wing staff were gathered. "Friends, let me have your attention please–" As he spoke, Abbey looked around the room, seeing all the smiling faces – seeing the love and loyalty they all had for her husband – and suddenly feeling a chill down her spine. What would they all think, she wondered, if they knew the truth? But she pushed the thought to one side as she smiled and applauded." - AW!
"Though, of course, I might just be saying that the country is stranger than it was a year ago!" - Hehehe, that is probably true of most places on earth.
"Then, after a pause, he heard Jed say, "You have a best friend?" He started to put on his coat as Tribbey replied. "Yes, sir." "Is he smarter than you?" Leo stopped, listening now. "Yes, sir." "Would you trust him with your life?" "Yes, sir." "That's your Chief of Staff," Jed said. Leo drew in his breath. His heart contracted as he realised that it was the most loving thing that Jed could possibly have said. His eyes filled as he turned to walk out of his office..." - That was very moving, even in the RL show.
"As they neared the door, Toby handed him two leather portfolios containing the speech. It was a formality – there were dual teleprompters with the speech, but the portfolios by tradition were given to the Vice President as the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives." - I WANT with every fibre of my being an original copy of a speech Toby Ziegler and Sam Seaborn worked on. The speeches of some other RL presidents? Not at all!
"Eventually, he found Abbey. "You changed your clothes again?" he said with a grin. "I'm not supposed to wear the same thing to the reception as I wore to the speech." "Really? Who says?" "Actually, I'm not sure." "Was I supposed to change my suit then?" "You men just have it so easy!" - Hehehe.
"Abbey put her hand up to his forehead, ostensibly to push back the stray strands of hair that had fallen there. Jed grinned. "This is because you can't shove a thermometer in my mouth, okay?" "You're cool enough now." "Cool? I thought I was getting pretty hot actually." Abbey smirked. "Cool it, babe. We gotta stay here a while longer." "But we've still got tonight?" She smiled up at him, her eyes meeting his. "Yeah – we've still got tonight." - AW!
alix33 chapter 7 . 12/18/2012
You know what pisses me off about Abigail Bartlet's pantsuits? How effortlessly stylish they look on her and whenever I wear a pantsuit, I look like I was dragged through my own laundry basket backwards and upside down!
Jed turned to go back into the Oval Office. "Mrs Landingham!" he called. "Sir, there really is no need to shout," she said as she came through the door at the opposite side of the room. "Jeez, there you go again–" Jed replied in mock exasperation. "What do I have this afternoon?" "First, you have to have some lunch," Mrs Landingham replied. "The First Lady has insisted that I make sure you do." "So you sent Charlie out for a hamburger?" Jed joked, knowing that it was a vain hope. "I did no such thing. The kitchen has sent up a very nice avocado and grape salad for you." Jed made a face but sat down at his desk and ate the salad while he caught up with the Washington Post and New York Times." - Nice lunch AND reading materials!
"While she stood in front of him waiting for the thermometer to register, he ran his hands down her waist and hips to her thighs, then back up again until his hands reached her breasts, cupping them and rubbing his thumbs over her nipples. When she drew in a quick breath and closed her eyes momentarily, he felt a shiver of desire course through him. "Jeez, I want you," he breathed. Abbey caught the thermometer as he let it fall from his mouth and looked at it. "Okay, you're good to go." "Really?" "For your shower, jackass – what did you think I meant?" "Well, I hoped–" "Shower, Jed! You can't tell the joint session of Congress that you're late because you decided to make love to your wife instead of delivering the State of the Union!" Jed chuckled as he stood up. "I'd like to see their faces if I did!" - Me too!
alix33 chapter 6 . 12/17/2012
"Mrs Landingham looked up in surprise when he walked into the Oval Office from the portico. "I really didn't expect to see you here this morning, Mr President." "Why is it that you can always make me feel like a kid who's been caught doing something wrong?" he replied with a grin. "Because I'm the big sister you never had," she retorted. "Okay – so now go away and be someone else's big sister!" - AW! And when she did, on a kind of permanent basis, you went to pieces, Mr. President.
"How long do the remissions last?" "Until the day before yesterday, it was fifteen months since the last episode – in St. Louis, just before the final debate in the campaign when I had the same sort of symptoms – dizziness and loss of balance." For a few moments Leo was silent then, to Jed's surprise, he started laughing. "Leo?" he asked in bewilderment. Leo looked at him. "Sorry, Jed – but it's just struck me that we seem to be running on parallel courses here." "What d'you mean?" "Think about it – you were diagnosed the same month as I hit rock bottom, you had an – what d'ya call it? – episode – when I went on a bender in Missouri – and now you have another one when I have to go on national television and admit to alcohol and valium addiction. So what in God's name are the two of us doing here in the White House – trying to solve the world's problems, when we have enough problems of our own to try and solve?" Jed grinned. "When you put it like that, it does sounds totally stupid, doesn't it?" Then his face stilled." - These paragraphs were very sad.
alix33 chapter 5 . 12/17/2012
"Listen, Zoey, before you do any of those, just let me go for a shower and a shave, will you? I haven't had either all day – and I'll feel a damn sight better when I feel a bit fresher." Zoey looked at him. "Yeah, well, you do look a bit gross with all that stubble – so okay." "Gross?" Jed rubbed his hand around his cheeks. "You mean I wouldn't look distinguished with a beard?" "Like Lincoln?" Zoey studied him for a moment. "In a word – no!" - Hehehe.
"Great discussion, Dad – thanks," Zoey said. Jed nodded and, unable to reply because of the thermometer, pushed his hair back and did his James Dean look again. Zoey laughed out loud as she headed for the door. "What was that about?" Abbey asked after Zoey had gone and she'd taken the thermometer out of Jed's mouth. "She's doing an essay on teen culture in the 50's – so I gave her a first-hand account of what it was like to be a teenage rebel." "You were never a teenage rebel!" Abbey retorted sceptically. "I was too. I grew my hair long – much to my Dad's disgust." "And that made you a rebel?" "In my Dad's eyes, yes," Jed replied with a laugh." - Who CARES what president Bartlet's utter douche bag of a dad thought, anyway?
alix33 chapter 4 . 12/17/2012
"Then his face creased slightly. "Abbey, are you okay?" "Yeah," she said, then gave a half-laugh. "Yeah – I guess I'm just kicking myself now for being an emotional idiot." Jed smiled into the phone. "I love emotional idiots." "Oh stop it, or I'll start crying again." "Again?" he asked, suddenly concerned. "Yeah, well – look, I'm okay now – but I have to go to a meeting. I'll come up afterwards – then we can talk?" "Yeah. Love you," he whispered into the phone." - AW!
"He looked round when there was a knock at the door. "Yeah?" Charlie came in with a food tray and Jed groaned. "Oh God, not more food." "It's just soup and a bread roll, Mr President – and a fruit salad." Jed lifted himself back on the bed and pulled the covers across. "Okay. What sort of soup?" "Think it could be vegetable, sir. The First Lady ordered it for you." Jed looked down at the tray that Charlie put in front of him and made a face. "Well, I guess she's got to find some way of getting fruit and vegetables into me." Charlie grinned. "Yes, sir." - Hehehe.
"The soup was better than he'd anticipated and the bread roll was fresh and warm. "You know, I'm actually enjoying this, Charlie," he said. "You want me to report that to the First Lady, sir?" Charlie said with another grin. "God, no – if she thinks I'm developing a taste for vegetable soup, she'll be ordering it for me every day! Or Mrs Landingham will – she's always telling me I don't eat enough vegetables. But I think I've got an aversion to anything green – especially green beans." "You don't like green beans?" "I hate green beans – I've always hated green beans – ever since I was at school and they made me eat a disgusting green bean fritter!" "Okay." - Hehehe, though raw green beans I quite like.
"Mr President!" John Marbury said as he came into the room and then stopped in surprise. "Oh – and I did hope to see you reclining in your bed – and gracefully receiving your courtiers!" Jed grinned. "I thought it was the French kings who did that?" "Oh yes, and the English too – and I believe your John Kennedy even used to hold meetings while he was in the bath?" "John, I haven't even managed a shave today, never mind a bath! Come on, let's sit down over here." - Hehehe.
"Charlie announced Toby's arrival. "How are you feeling, Mr President?" Toby asked. "Much better, thank you," Jed replied, then went on, "You know, I was watching a television programme before with a sort of a roving moderator who spoke to a seated panel of young women who are having some sort of problems with their boyfriends. Apparently, because the boyfriends have all slept with the girlfriend's mothers. Then they brought all the boyfriends out and they fought right there on television. Toby, tell me, these people don't vote, do they?" Toby laughed. "I wouldn't think so – no, sir." - Hehehe, they DO vote, which is why Toby cannot bear voters.
"Toby laughed. "I wouldn't think so – no, sir." Jed looked round in surprise as Josh also came in. "What do you need, Josh?" "I asked Josh to join me here, sir," Toby said. Jed looked at them both then beckoned them to sit down. But they both remained standing as he sat down. "What's on your mind?" "The era of big government is over," Toby said. "You want to cut the line?" "I want to change the sentiment," Toby said. As he went on Jed found himself nodding. "We have to say what we feel," Toby was saying. "That government, no matter what its failures are in the past, and in times to come, for that matter, the government can be a place where people come together and where no one gets left behind. No one...gets left behind, an instrument of...good." He hesitated. "I have no trouble understanding why the line tested well, Josh, but I don't think that means we should say it. I think that means we should – change it." "I think so too," Jed said. "What do you think, Josh?" Josh was clearly moved by what Toby had just said. "I make it a point never to disagree with Toby when he's right, Mr President." Jed nodded. "Then you and Sam get your people together and get to work." As they stood up to leave, Jed sat thoughtfully, almost stunned that Toby Ziegler had yet again managed to get right to the heart of what really mattered..." - Yay! for Toby.
"You wanna go to bed?" Jed gave a half-chuckle. "If I didn't have the flu, I'd say that was an offer I couldn't refuse!" "Don't even think about it!" He grinned. "Oh, I always think about it – but at the moment that's all I can do." He leaned back against the chair and for a moment closed his eyes and heaved a sigh." - AW!
alix33 chapter 3 . 12/17/2012
"They both looked round when there was a knock on the door. "Yeah?" Jed called out. It was Sam who came in. "Good morning, Mr President. How're you feeling?" "Much better, Sam, thanks. What've you got for me?" Abbey's eyes narrowed slightly. "I hope this isn't work, Sam?" Sam shook his head. "No, ma'am – it's – well, it's personal." "Oh – right." Abbey stood up and looked back at Jed. "I'll come back for the press conference at nine thirty, okay?" "Yeah, okay." When she'd gone, Jed turned back to Sam again. "What is it, Sam?" Sam hesitated for a moment. "Leo would kill me if he knew I was here – but – well, I wrote a Presidential statement of support for him." Jed nodded. "Yeah." He reached for his glasses from the nightstand. "Let me see it." There was silence for a few moments as Jed read what Sam had written. It was polished and eloquent – but not sufficiently personal. "Will you leave it with me, Sam? I'd like to add something more to it." Sam nodded. "Of course, sir." Jed shrugged slightly. "And then if Leo wants to kill anyone, he can come and kill me first." Sam suppressed a grin" - Hehehe.
"Bored with C-SPAN, he started to flick through the channels. "Charlie," he said, when the young man came into the bedroom, "what the hell is this programme?" Charlie looked towards the television screen. "It's Jerry Springer, sir." "And are these people real?" Charlie grinned. "Some people think they're out-of-work actors, paid to stir things up. But yeah, people go on his show to talk about their problems – and then he confronts them with the people who have caused the problems." Jed glanced again at the screen. "And then they start fighting?" "Yeah – and throwing chairs and whatever else they can find." "And viewers find this entertaining?" Charlie shrugged. "I guess so." Then he grinned. "Springer tried to get the Democratic nomination for Governor of Ohio once – and he also ran for Congress." "He failed?" Jed asked. "Yes, sir." "Thank God – there're enough problems in Congress without people throwing chairs at each other. Though actually – thinking about that – there're a few I'd like to throw a chair at sometimes." Charlie grinned again. "Yes, sir." - Hehehe.
"Shortly before nine-thirty, Jed sent Charlie down to the West Wing with Sam's statement, to which he had added his own personal comments of support for his friend. "Tell Sam that this goes to the press – and all round the West Wing too," he told Charlie. "It needs the widest circulation possible – and that's an executive order." Charlie gave him his broad smile. "Yes, sir." - Hehehe.
"Abbey smiled and squeezed his hand again. "Good." Then she reached for her medical bag and brought out the thermometer. Jed groaned. "Not again!" "Humour me." "God, who'd be married to a doctor?" But, with a sigh, Jed opened his mouth again." - Hehehe.
"So how are you feeling now?" Jed shot her an expressive look and pointed to the thermometer." - Hehehe.
"And the President's statement – that's just so good." "I've not seen it yet – but Jed added his own comments to Sam's draft." "Sam wrote it?" Mallory looked at her in surprise and then Abbey saw her colouring up. "Ah–ah!" she said with a knowing grin. "Abbey–" Mallory started to protest. "You've got an itch for Sam Seaborn." Abbey said teasingly. "I do not have an itch!" "A little itch!" "Abbey? You–" Abbey looked at her. "Want a nickel worth of free advice?" Mallory grinned. "Sure." "Don't go for the geniuses." She smiled. "They never want to sleep!" - Hehehe.
"Mallory, would you mind...?" "I do not have an itch!" Mallory insisted, looking at Abbey again. Leo looked confused. "Mallory?" Mallory picked up her coat from the back of the chair. "I'm going!" She leant forward and Abbey kissed her cheek. "Bye, sweetie." - Hehehe.
alix33 chapter 2 . 12/17/2012
"Oh, and he did mutter something when he turned over," Charlie continued, somewhat hesitantly. "Something about jumping – I couldn't make out what he said." Despite herself and all her anxieties, Abbey couldn't help but start laughing inwardly. "I bet he did!" She looked at the young man. "It's okay, Charlie – I know what he was saying." "Yes, ma'am." Charlie also knew exactly what the President had said, but was far too embarrassed to repeat it verbatim to the First Lady." - Poor embarrassed Charlie was very funny there.
"no, I'm okay. My head's not quite attached itself back to the rest of me – but that's all. Honestly, Abbey," he added as he saw the doubt in her eyes." - AW!
"Then she helped Jed back on to the bed again and pulled his pajama pants off. Her green eyes suddenly glinted with amusement as she looked down at him. "Well, I guess I could give you a quick rub-down here too – but I'm not running the risk of sending your temperature sky-high again. So here–" she handed him the sponge and towel. Jed grinned back at her. "Spoilsport. 101-one – and I'm still good to go!" "And get all sweaty again? Forget it – I only date boys with normal temperatures!" - Hehehe.
"Jed commented. "But I'm thirsty." "Yeah." Abbey reached for the flask of water she'd left earlier on the night stand and poured some into a glass. "Here." As Jed started to sip it, she went on, "No, drink it, Jed – you've lost a lot of fluid, you need to replace it otherwise you're gonna get dehydrated." "And if I then want to pee – and I'm too wobbly to get to the bathroom?" "Yeah, well, I'm sure we can find an antique vase somewhere in this joint!" Jed started laughing. "Dolley Madison is probably turning in her grave right now at the thought of that." - Hehehe.
"He was still sleeping soundly – and, with his tousled hair falling over his forehead and his face so relaxed, he looked almost boyish. It was a look that always turned her on – but this morning she had to ignore the sudden yearning inside her. Instead, she put her hand very gently against his forehead. Definitely cooler, she thought – but they weren't out of the woods yet." - AW!
"Jed leaned forward, his arms stretched out in front of him. "Here's the thing though," he said casually, "I never really saw you study while you were in med school." Abbey ignored him. "Deep breath," she ordered. "Do you even know what you're listening for right now?" He still took the breath she'd demanded. "Do you know how many other people I could have married?" Abbey retorted, half exasperated with him – but half relieved that he was well enough to banter with her, as he always did when she was in what he called 'doctor mode'. Jed let out his breath again. "How many?" "Shhh," she said as she continued to listen, and then breathed an inward sigh of relief herself that there were no signs of any chest infection and that they could rule out pneumonia." - Hehehe.
alix33 chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
"Finally, she looked at Jed and smiled. "Hey – you still dizzy?" Jed grinned a little. "I was wondering when you were gonna notice me!" - AW!
"As the door closed behind Charlie, Jed looked her up and down. "You're very sexy when you're in doctor mode you know that? 'Give me an IV/saline solution and 100 milligrams of Flumadine. Stat.'" His eyes narrowed slightly. "I could jump you right now." "I could kill you right now." "My thing's more fun," Jed responded. Abbey sat down on the side of the bed and started to check his eyes, noting at the same time that his forehead and cheeks were hot and clammy. "It took you twenty-five minutes to call me?" "Fitzwallace called me in the Situation Room. There was more movement in Kashmir," he said wearily, hoping she was not going to make an issue of it. He was just too tired to fight with her tonight. She stood up again, and started to prepare a syringe. "I don't care if Canada invaded Michigan, Jed. You call me!" "Abbey–" "Stop talking." "I broke the Steuben glass pitcher in the Oval Office." Her voice softened. "It's okay." "Seriously – Abbey, I'm fine." It was his way of telling her that it wasn't a serious attack. "You could've hit your head on something." Sitting down on the bed again, she gave him the shot and he winced and groaned slightly. "But I didn't." - AW!
NYlovergirl chapter 10 . 5/10/2009
I loved it!

Cant wait to read your others!

The charcters relationships with one another were very well rounded and that added to the story.

Congrats!