Reviews for At the Gates of Agartha
love it
Spiraea Kozak chapter 1 . 12/30/2010
amazing ending :) love it
myrthill chapter 2 . 5/12/2010
Wow this is good, very good, it really satisfy the need of a good ending for this story. But! I kinda dissapointed about the many misspelling in chapter 1 (not that I'm good at it anyway). Well, aside for that I really like this story :)

Btw, I have this impression that Miwa and 'Kei' (as you name him) are never moved on, like Noboru and Mikako. The evidence is the photograph of those two on both of their desk (Miwa and Kei). And wouldn't it be better to just reunite them again like Noboru and Mikako?
Hannah Brandon1234321 chapter 1 . 4/9/2009
I had never heard of this before, and it caught my eye just as I was going to go back to stories inspired by stories.

I'm extremly lucky, as this is one of the best fanfics I have read. Ever.

Watch out for your spelling, and keep up the good work.

Hannah Brandon(1234321)
Kaj-Nrig chapter 1 . 7/6/2008
I'll be honest. I only made it to the end of Mikako's first soliloquy.

While your concept is spot on, and your length of story is even more spot on, what ultimately makes it not work is the combination of grammar and lack of... well, storytelling elements.

You have a lot of grammatical mistakes that make reading very... hard. You tend to change tenses, and that's a very big no-no, unless you're going for something stylish. The fact that you spell "Noboru" wrong is also a cause for concern. It shows that you don't really know the manga/anime as well as you might think.

The story itself is intriguing, since it is a conclusion to the manga proper, but the way it is executed doesn't make for an exciting and/or fulfilling read.

The story flows awkwardly, and characters come in and out with no real significance, and even the main characters seem very flat, very detached from their own emotions, which is very disconcerting, considering the depth of emotion of the source material. The dialog is also suspect, because in the manga version, while there is much more dialog and much more free verse, they are still presented in a very... emotional way, an almost poetic way. Here, you're sort of just plopping down the meaning behind each person's speech without taking care of how to deal with said speech.

All of that said, however, I applaud you for going for something as ambitious as this. Both the manga and anime end at very emotional high points, and that presents a very potent challenge to anybody that would try to expand beyond that point. (I myself have not tried to veer away from the final ending of the anime.) While you didn't exactly pull off the most spectacular of continuations, the fact that you tried at all is very noteworthy.

I also enjoyed the fact that you ENDED the story. Again, both the manga and anime don't necessarily present a END to the story, but yours does, and that's something that's worthy of praise simply because of its challenge. I think that if you worked on it more, you would have a very good story.

So yeah, there you go. If you've got any questions or comments, feel free to contact me. I like your idea, and I like the direction you're going, but I think it needs more revision before it finally works well.