Reviews for Sluagh
DerangedxandxSarcastic chapter 2 . 9/28/2009
Damnit! I had so hoped he would be right! Urgh... Well yay for Ron and Hermione time! I really quite love them... I like this lack of Harry, it's invigorating :D
DerangedxandxSarcastic chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
Oh gosh, I really do hate to read this... Seamus, you poor poor broken soul. I love and hate the story already, which is really a very good sign for you.
liebedance chapter 26 . 8/25/2009
You are insane. And twisted. And mad.

And I pretty much love you. Just saying.

Oh... and good chapter. Powerful, as always.
liebedance chapter 9 . 8/23/2009
LOVE this chapter. Mention of Terry and Mike was love. But I'm starting to think that you have a personal vendetta against Ravenclaws, since they all seem to die.

I'm glad Neville's planning on leaving the Aurors! And the convo between him and Seamus during their sentry was moving.
ThreeTimesInTheCastle chapter 28 . 8/19/2009
I will admit, you almost lost me on this one.

See, I don't read fanfiction, as a rule. But Dumbledore's Army was highly recommended, and the premise really did grab me, and after reading it I was so impressed with how you managed to develop the minor characters from the books into fully fleshed-out people, how you managed to go so far beyond canon while not contradicting canon, that I decided to go ahead and read Sluagh.

And as of Druim Cett, you'd lost me. Because, well, canon showed that several of the characters who'd died were ABSOLUTELY alive and well 10 years or so down the road, but canon also stated that there was no way, none, fuhgeddaboutit, to raise people from the dead. Dead is dead. (I would also like to point out, incidentally, that my spellchecker apparently doesn't recognize "fanfiction" as a word, but has no problem with "fuhgeddaboutit." Make of that what you will. Anyway.) It looked like you had written yourself into a corner, where there was no way out except to break an implicit promise to the reader. Now, at this point I was already caught up in the emotional and moral drama of Seamus and Neville, so not reading any further was not an option... but I wasn't happy about it, and felt a little betrayed.

I should never have doubted you, sir. My sincerest apologies.

The resolution was so perfect, so CELTIC - man, as soon as Seamus said the bit about wagering "victory", I got so excited, I knew EXACTLY what he was doing - because it's all in the wording, isn't it? In all the old stories, the old myths, your pledge is your bond and you'd better be damned careful what words you choose. It was such a brilliant illustration of the themes you'd already been hammering home, and as I watched it play out I felt equal parts admiration for you and embarrassment for not having seen it sooner.

In short, this is an amazing story, and thank you for writing it.

(Also, in Sluagh you curbed the tendency to have characters spontaneously psychoanalyze themselves out loud, which did tend to crop up in the earlier book. This is a good thing. Also also, and apart from anything else - man, Hermione went out like a champ. If I were ever kidnapped and gang-raped in a hideous perversion of Beltain rites by an insane evil wizard, I want to respond EXACTLY like her. Just sayin'.)
NiDubhchair chapter 28 . 7/24/2009
Well, huzzah for you, you gave me all my favorite characters back :-) (well, can't say all - Ernie and Michael and Terry are still gone, but I admit.. that would've been taking the whole 'lets-just-roll-back-time-and-see-what-happens" thing a BIT far . . .)

Truth be told, I'm not sure I bought the whole "everybody's alive again" twist. I mean, I was glad when it happened, but I don't get WHY/HOW it happened. And you can't just say "It's Magic!" Even Rowling gave us a whole damn chapter to explain why Voldemort's killing curse in DH didn't take. That's my one complaint - glad that everything's okay again, but it just seemed a little too easy. (I mean, if killing the DD was enough erase the past, why couldn't killing Voldie bring the whole D.A. back?)

Other than that, a brilliant and creative fic that I thoroughly enjoyed getting nothing else done for the sake of :-) Now you really should go do a library search for Lars Walker and his novels ("Blood and Judgment" is another good one besides "Year of the Warrior.") Dominus tecum!
NiDubhchair chapter 19 . 7/23/2009
Wow, we get ancient Celtic legends AND Arthurian heroes! Fun!

Though, I must admit, I'm getting kinda bored with just Neville and Seamus around. I miss the group dynamics of the D.A. I'm sitting here waiting for you to bring them all back to life, right? RIGHT?

I think it's really cool and interesting how you're portraying the clash of the old pagan world with the modern and medieval worlds. Have you ever read "The Year of the Warrior" by Lars Walker? If not, I REALLY recommend it. It's all about a 10th century Irishman who gets kidnapped by Vikings and has to pretend to be a priest in order to escape slavery. Reminds me of your stuff, especially this fic. You get alot about the struggle between Christianity and the ancient Pagan religions. Fascinating.

Anyway, I'm gonna hold on to this story for a while. I KNOW THEY'RE ALL COMING BACK! Right? OF COURSE RIGHT? *gives Thanfiction a glare worthy of a Celtic goddess, and signs off*
NiDubhchair chapter 4 . 7/22/2009
Nice so far, though I admit I'm having trouble following the Irish dialects.

One minor correction on this chapter: I doubt Neville measures speed/distance in miles-per-hour ;-) KPH, mate ;-P
The13thDoctor chapter 28 . 7/20/2009
I don't se why you so frequently put your writing down. As an integration of myth into Rowlings world it is the most incredible I am yet to find - the use of Anglo-Irish mythology is so neglected in favour of mysterious eastern myths or simply the return of Merlin.

Your depiction of the Troubles is also an excellent, balanced affair - you condemn the violence but neither veiwpoint, and that is something incredibly difficult to do so.

Well done again
Rhemus chapter 1 . 7/10/2009
he hated the voice of the Auror, the Commander, the soldier

Ouch! That reminded me of the scene in DA YoH: Neville appoints Colin as Secret Keeper, someone says "You're just using Colin." Colin makes the Patriotic speech that Generals use Soldiers, that's what they are there for.

Green eyed Goddess: I like green eyes. Neville is the Hero, he deserves the best, so green-eyed!Hannah is reasonable. But green-eyed!Katie is too much.

Neville scrabbling among Katie's flower pots was very nice. Intro already tells us that this Story will be gloom and doom. I appreciated the change of pace with Neville being his own natural self.

Sluagh tortures DEs and makes them eat their own Dark Marks is hilarious. Again, a welcome change of pace.

redemmed!Kingsley: I like and trust book!Kingsley, I would vote for him. Then in Interview of Flint, JkR asserted that Kingsley became PERMANENT Minister and abolished elections. It's nice to see book!Kingsley again.
weepingphoenix101 chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
I promised I would review, so here goes. Andy, is it possible for you to become a better storyteller? I rather doubt it. I think the essence of this chapter is summed up near the end, when Neville describes how much more Seamus' betrayal would hurt him, hurt the entire DA, than it would hurt the Minister and the wizarding world as a whole. For Seamus, it seems, the war never really ended, but to him it must seem like all of his comrades have abandoned him. I love how Neville is so at ease with his own desire to leave the Aurors and simply become a gardener. It shows how much he has matured and grown into himself since the end of DAYD. I think one chapter a night will be more than enough for me, plus itll space out the reviews in your inbox. Good luck with that, btw. Loved it, of course. Until next time -G
Matt chapter 28 . 7/8/2009
As you note, this is a very different piece than your last. I am not as comfortable with it in many ways and not just due to the even darker matter. You've done nicely with the characters but, particularly Finnigan is ... more plastic than your main characters were in the first book. You revitalize him some at the end but still...

That said I will be looking forward to reading the first chapters of part I.

Matt
Jacqueline chapter 28 . 7/5/2009
Honestly, I am so confused right now. I don't even know what to think. Reading this fic was exactly like watching the anime Berserk...at first you totally love it and think its great and then outta nowhere the end takes a complete 180 and nose dives off a cliff and all you're thinking is "what the FUCK is going on?"

Up until the battle with Devil Dubh this story was really cool, with all the politcal irish gangs and vigilante stuff and the DA re-bonding to destroy a new dark lord. thats all good. Then suddenly, BAM! Everyone dies horrible, gruesome, disgusting deaths, Neville and Seamus jump into the cauldron and get sucked into fairy-world where they go on quests and kill dragons to train as heros, then Neville turns all king arthur and shit and goes to Avalon and is Sir Kaye's vassal? It ends with Seamus and the Devil guy in a knife fight? WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THE STORY? HOW DID IT END UP SO COMPLETELY OFF TRACK AND RIDICULOUS? I couldnt even READ the last 10 chapters because it was so fucking insane and stupid! This started out so good and I am really disappointed, because your first fic was amazing. The whold second half of this story makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever.
Danwea chapter 28 . 6/23/2009
Ah man, you have no idea how much I love your writing.

Neville's reunion with Hannah had me in bloody tears. Just reading her name made me well up and even though you took everything away from Neville and Seamus I knew that you would find some way to change it all and oh God, did you do it in style.

There were a few grammatical errors. Commas were needed in places you'd not put them but still, the story speaks for itself.

Perfect.

I can't wait to start reading the next.
NevemTeve chapter 18 . 6/5/2009
That was so great, Neville defying the deity - I loved that part!
345 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »