Reviews for Looking Glass Self
luinrina chapter 1 . 9/8/2011
That was what I always wondered about, why Punch never ratted Doubledealer out, telling his commander that they harbored an enemy in their midst. I guess if there's only one other just like you, no longer knowing who's going to look back at you when you look into the mirror, then the bond forged out of understanding what it feels like to be split in personality will be stronger than loyalty toward your faction.

I liked seeing the beginning of how Punch became Counterpunch, and that Jazz personally saw to it that the double agent got set up as best as possible. I also liked that Jazz's agents thought so highly of their commander and trusted him implicitly that they'd agree to a mission like Punch's without hesitation. But of course, the really highly dangerous ones Jazz would keep for himself. That's just who he is, show-off and everything. :)

Interesting insight into the beginning stages of a mech that will have to live with two personalities for many vorns yet to come.
StarscreamII chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
Argh, schizophrenia.

This is even more confusing in As We. My brain was hurting. :

But that's okay. Brain-wrenching stuff is what I like. I guess I'm kinda like Nightbeat in that way, then. A puzzler.

Anyway, very good job showing the confusion on the part of the characters and transferring it to the readers. Perfect as usual! :)
Hunterflight-Shockwhisper chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
_
Sailor Pandabear chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
strange... somewhat insane but good.

good

faved
1bloodtempest chapter 1 . 10/31/2010
Questioning one’s identity is surely something everybody has been confronted with. But Punch’s dilemma is so confusing... gosh, it really would be mind-boggling. Is one identity the real one, or is the other the real identity that hadn’t been able to come out into the light because of the circumstances?

I’ll admit that this is the first time that I’ve ever read this story with Punch/Counterpunch, so I’m very fascinated with what is happening to Punch. It’s very gratifying to read and see how much trust is put into Jazz’s ability to pair up a mission with the perfect mech to do it. I’m pretty sure that you said that like the other one-shots that it could be “read as a stand alone one-shot, or as a character expansion piece belonging to your “WE” continuality”, so I’ve decided to view “Looking Glass Self” as an expansion of Jazz’s personality as well, and I feel relieved to see that Jazz is so trusted by the mechs. After reading about the distrust that the Autobots had for Jazz when he had just arrived at the Autobot base, I just wonder what particular event happened to allow Jazz to earn the trust of all of the Autobots now. xP

Punch and Counterpunch (and Dealer and Double Dealer too, for that matter), are characters that I’ve never heard of prior to reading about them in your “WE” continuality. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the condition that these two mechs have is essentially the Cybertronian equivalent of the human condition “split personalities”? Two totally different personalities essentially inhabiting the same body?

I have to admit, I was completely taken aback and startled at the bluntness of how Punch realized that a piece of himself had died when Jazz had told him that his designation was now “Counterpunch” when he was in his new form... I was rather wary of what to expect to happen next! ...Will Punch/Counterpunch truly find himself again though? Before his time comes? I think it would be extremely tragic and undeserving for a mech who sacrificed his own self-knowledge of his identity for the Autobot’s cause to not be able to find the answer to his question(s) before he died at his time...

~Tempest

~~Trick or TREAT!~~
Eerie Iri chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
I swear, whenever I read your stories with these two as characters now, I see Doubledealer hovering over Punch (who has his hands shackled to a berth) with Doubledealer trying to seduce Punch into sparkbonding with him.
Lecidre chapter 1 . 8/23/2008
I felt so sad while reading this fic... I knew Punch's job isn't easy, but his role seems so tragedy to me since I've read "Looking Glass Self" now. The dangerous secret he shared with Doubledealer is beyond anything a normal mech could imagine. The dark emotion lurking in this fic somehow made this piece of writing much awesome and beautiful. Very nice work!
Dragon260 chapter 1 . 7/14/2008
This is interesting.
Litahatchee chapter 1 . 7/14/2008
When I saw that this was about Punch, or Counterpunch; hell, even HE doesn't know which one; I was squeeing like the crazed fangirl that I've become. Funny thing about that, however, is that I only became that way about him through what YOU have written. You're writing is so amazing, you're turning folks into crazy fans! If someone doesn't know who Punch/Counterpunch is, well, they are going to know now...and LOVE him!

And the dedication! Thank you! I was so excited when I read that. I saved my dear Punch/Counterpunch. Thanks Primus! Gawd, that was just going to kill me. Maybe it was because of the method, or that I feel the poor mech has had to endure so much hardship already. Whatever the case, something about it was too much for me. However...Why do I get the feeling that he is going to wish he were dead? And why do I suddenly get the sinking idea that I've just condemned Dealer/Doubledealer? . EEKS! Sigh...well, whatever you do, I know I'm going to like it...and I'm certain Punch will hate me for it, but I'm glad he's going to live.

I love the Alice quote in the beginning. That is perfectly suiting.

"A coin that not only had two faces, but two alt modes, and an advanced signature modulator that smothered the Autobot within to make him a Decepticon without."

I love the wording here. This is a perfect description of Punch/Counterpunch. If someone needed to say who Punch is in one sentence, this is it.

Wrenchwire designed the frame! That is a great twist!

The descriptions of the transformation and the 'living paintjob of depression' were very well done. Jazz exacting all this has a creepy element to it that surprised me. I love it. Punch trusts Jazz, but Jazz knows what Punch is about to go through...that he is sending this mech into Pit and that the mech is doing it because of his trust in Jazz. I imagine Jazz feels some measure of guilt, but he knows Punch can handle it, even if he doesn't fully realize what 'it' is yet.

Jazz has a job to do in his part of the effort to the win the war. Punch is one of the tools that he needs for the Autobots to achieve that goal. It's a dirty business, but it has to be done. You portray this immaculately.

Punch's dislike of Counterpunch's stuttering visage, the passage of time, the deepening fractures, the mirage of who he was supposed to be...all of this is very well orchestrated. Your writing is a work of art.

And I love Jazz's concern for Punch. He can see that Punch is struggling, but Punch always says he's fine, that he can do it, that he is still usful. There's almost a Counterpunch air to that. He begs the Decepticons to give him a purpose. It is almost as if, when talking to Jazz, even as Punch, that the Counterpunch is coming through, that he is begging Jazz to give him a purpose, just as he begs the Decepticons. Wow, this is fantastic!

And what of Punch/Counterpunch when Jazz is gone? Jazz thought he could tell when he needed to pull the plug, but now that element is absent. Punch would, no doubt, continue his guise, telling any Autobots that he was fine and, lacking the scrutiny Jazz had, they would believe him and allow him to remain. Poor Punch; I imagine the fractures, the illusions, have become so deep that he truly doesn't know at all now. Both personalities are probably even more real to him than before (or more fake, even he doesn't know).

I can see him doing things that helps both the Decepticons and the Autobots, becoming somewhat unintentionally counter-productive. He's supposed to be an Autobot, but he's become sympathetic with the Decepticons too. As Counterpunch, he's probably now capable of doing things for the Decepticons that hurt the Autobots. As Punch, he's capable of doing things for the Autobots that hurt the Decepticons. This is blowing my mind...It's wonderful!

"There were orns when he forgot. Orns when he saw a different side of the ‘Cons that an Autobot would never see and it would make him question if he was on the right side after all."

I read these lines over and over. Freaking awesome. We are conditioned to think of ourselves as the 'good guys,' but when one catches a glimpse of the 'other side,' questions do arise...There is 'good' in everybody, just as there is 'bad.' War is simply a misunderstanding between two of the 'same,' both containing goods and evils that would warm your heart while simultaneously crushing it.

"Even if he didn’t know who he was, he knew what he didn’t want to be."

I believe there are some atrocities that one Decepticon may do that another Decepticon wouldn't dream of doing. This is a great statement, as it shows that Punch/Counterpunch may not know if he is a Decepticon or not, but at least he knows he doesn't want to be the meanest Decepticon out there.

The part about burning the Autobot insignia into his spark casing saddens me. I imagine the 'reminder burned him terribly' because he has already done things against the Autobots. Poor mech has no clue who he is anymore. Beautiful...in its dark way.

The interaction between Counterpunch and Dealer, Punch and Doubledealer is absolutely awesome! They totally know they are from different factions (or, at least, originally), supposed to be enemies, but their commonality has drawn them to each other...giving them undeniable friendship. They are the only two of their kind...the only beings that understand the other...and they adore each other...and I LOVE IT!

Wow, thank you...Your stories always make me think.

ENORMOUS STANDING OVATION!
Northwest Sage chapter 1 . 7/11/2008
Excellent piece on two often over-looked characters!
sadisticb00gers-Modus Pwnage chapter 1 . 7/11/2008
...the people before me have said it all, so I'm just going to settle for WOW. It's just one of the greatest oneshots I've ever seen. unparalleled. *goes off to read other oneshots*
Bunnylass chapter 1 . 7/11/2008
Wow...

This was brilliant. I had no trouble following along :D

It was sad reading it, that Punch was starting to lose who he really was.

And then we met Doubledealer, and i felt all happy again. Cos he had at least has someone to relate too. And who he can be Punch around.

This really was an incredible fic. It was perfect :D
Larisa chapter 1 . 7/11/2008
It's brilliant!

I sometimes thought about a scale of influence that 'job' on Punch/Counterpunch'es personality. I can only imagine how hard for him do not feel himself a betrayer even if his sympathies are firmly belonged to the Autobots... It must be a heavy burden on everyone's conscience and integrity...

Thank you for the story!
Silveriss chapter 1 . 7/10/2008
The symmetry of this story is so perfect I can't help but be awed by it. It's almost like you're teasing us with who these two mechs are supposed to be, coming close to a conclusion only to dart away again and, before the reader even realizes it, they've come to accept that these two are simply supposed to be ambiguous. It's just a smooth read with a clearly defined purpose. Simply wonderful.
Bluebird Soaring chapter 1 . 7/10/2008
Wow, this is perfect for a side story for Punch! Not confusing really...I'm feeling really sorry for him right now. The transformation of him into Counterpunch was chilling - As much as I trust Jazz, I don't think I would be able to stand so calmly and let him reprogram me...that little bit sent shivers up my back! And how much work it must be just sitting back and letting everyone step all over you without raising a hand in your own defense...talk about opposites! And I'm thrilled you decided to spare his spark...I really have grown to like him )