Reviews for The More Things Change
somehow, a coldly-angry Don absolutely refusing to budge in protecting Leo sends chills down my spine :D great job on that bit of dialogue: assertive, cold, straight to the point and contemptuous. in terms of the younger ones defending Leo: in this story we've seen usually-unrestrained Raph, a Mikey that's had visibly learned from Leo, but never mild-mannered Don mercilessly bringing all of his steel and brilliance to bear, and it's captivating.
""Even the best planners and tacticians can only handle so much at one time. If you have three equally demanding, equally important problems facing you all at once...you're going to be facing a considerable amount of stress. Add to that the fact that there is no easy or quick solution for any of them, and the fact that there's a time limit on one of the issues…that's a lot to deal with. And when you consider that the problems facing Karai are direct threats to her way of life..."
- it just occurred to me that this applies to Leo, too. But Leo will outlast Karai :)
Denise chapter 24 . 12/29/2015
More, please.
EmilyGrace18 chapter 24 . 12/25/2015
Wow. I started to read this last week and have hardly been able to put it down. I can easily say that this is one of my all time favorite fics. The storyline is intriguing, the characterization amazing, the tempo perfect, and the portrayal of the guys so incredibly wonderful. You have each of the boy's "voice" down pat, as well as all the little nuances about their charachters that make them so irresistible. I loved every minute of this story, and must admit that I didn't even realize it was an incomplete story until I was a few chapters from the end. Which of course left me feeling crushed. This is such an amazing story, I really hope that it can find an end. I want to know what happens to Leo. I want to know where Karai is and what she is planning. I want to know how or if the boys find their place in the human world. Literally I feel as though I am desperate for more!
You are truly an amazing and talented author and this story has inspired and thrilled me. Thank you for the hours of entertainment and joy I found. If you do decide to pick this story back up, please know I will be your most avid and enthusiastic fan. Great job!
Reigningspirit chapter 24 . 11/8/2015
I do hope you continue this.
imjustpeachee chapter 24 . 7/10/2015
I have just blazed through this entire story and am obsessed! The character development is fantastic, the chapter lengths are satisfying, and the plot is unique! Please tell me (despite the last update being in 2013) that this story is still going!
Guest chapter 24 . 6/11/2015
I really hope you continue this! You've done an amazing job with character development and describing how the relationships between the brothers has changed. I love it! Please update!
Image chapter 15 . 5/30/2015
My brain has been broken.

I have been reading this fic in spits and spurts for the last several weeks, enthralled by the FANTASTIC characterization of the turtles, watching the characteristics Leo normally lauds as strengths and shown for the flaws they really are, learning more about the 03 Mikey and Raph that I've ever thought I could. I've watched the turtles push at their stereotypical boundaries and it is done so believably that I'm willing to accept the criminal underutilizing of Donnie, but now at last my brain has been broken.

Let me get this straight:

You expect me to believe that Leonardo, Hyper-Paranoid Leonardo, who has extra mental antennae dedicated to Karai, does not notice when she is there while talking to Yuki? You expect me to believe that he's there in the lobby of... where even are they? Oroku corps? The hotel Yuki and Seiichi are staying? Neutral ground? How did he miss her being there?

Worse, is this a deliberate ploy that has heretofore been undisclosed by the buys to push her even further over the edge? What will this lead to? And even barring the contrivance of Karai automatically picking out Leo's voice and recognizing it, how does her mind automatically jump from seeing the back of a guy with dark hair and assuming - well she is obsessive, and she makes more sense but LEO. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

My mind is completely broken for this. You have been able to make me buy the incredible conceit of turning the turtles human - something so few authors can do believably, and have done such a magnificent job crafting this story, and this sharp heel-turn is just so... I don't even have words.

I need to figure out how I think about this.

~Image
Guest chapter 24 . 5/19/2015
Dear, Calliopechild,

I'm a bit new to fanfiction sites, and it looks like this story hasn't been updated for a while, but I'm hoping you might still appreciate a review from a recent reader.

I've spent the past few months slowly getting through your story, reading it in bits and pieces at a time and enjoying it immensely along the way. However, when I first read the premise I was skeptical. The turtles as humans? I now realize this is somewhat common in fanfiction, but I hadn't read any such stories, and it seemed to me that one of the things that is so compelling about the heroes in green is their very...turtle-y-ness. At least, being different from humans is what keeps them isolated from society, and that isolation is partly what maintains their close bonds with each other. Taking that away seemed to me like it would make them less special and less interesting. Lucky for me, you have a lot of follows and reviews, and that convinced me to give your story a chance.

Turns out, you kept perfectly true to the characters' personalities, simply putting them in a new and challenging situation and exploring their natural reactions according to their respective traits and tendencies. And even though you made the turtles human, you didn't take away their past experiences, which set them quite far apart from the average human's experience. And you used their unique perspectives to give us a fresh window through which to view human society. I really enjoyed how thoroughly you explored their adaptations to their new way of life, from the practical details of where they would live and how they would have to get used to clothing, to the emotional issues of what it would be like to not be feared by humans but accepted in society, and to no longer live with the threat of one day being found out and captured or killed just for being mutants. All the details you include make this sci-fy story realistic and compelling.

Another aspect I appreciate about your story is your treatment of the characters' inter-relationships. You captured the brother's dynamics in just the way I would picture them. Now I'm not as versed in TMNT lore as you obviously are (and I really enjoyed all your references to their past exploits, even if I didn't know all the details of those exploits myself-Battle Nexus Champion!), but I did grow up in the hey-day of the turtles, watching the cartoon, the live-action movies, and playing ninja turtles with my siblings. We all had our favorites, of course, and we knew all their personality quirks and how they related to each other. I found your story just at a time when I was seriously reflecting on my adult sibling relationships, and reading your interpretation of the turtles' relationships gave me a lot to chew on as I considered my own. The way those bonds grow, change, become strained and sometimes estranged, is pretty relevant for me and I appreciated your thoughtful perspective. It's at once comforting and painful to think of those close bonds, and how they can sometimes suffer what seems like irreparable damage-yet the sibling tie can never really be broken.

I also got to read your take on the four of them getting jobs at a time when I myself was looking for my next work opportunity and wondering if I have anything useful to offer the world. That resonated as well.

Basically, I think you did a fantastic job capturing each personality and how they would react if they could enter the human world-and also how others would react to them. On top of that, you gave us a pretty interesting plot line. It was suspenseful and exciting and believable (in this universe, anyway).

Plus we got to see Leo, Don, and Mikey on dates...that was more than worth the read :)

So thank you for the story so far. I hope you get a chance to keep it moving forward. I would love to know what happened to Karai, how Leo recovers, whether any of the boys stick with their official and unofficial girlfriends, and if they guys are going to get to a place where they finally feel safe-or at least less threatened on a daily basis. After all, turtles or no, they'll always be ninjas, right?

Cowabunga!

-Arrowan
Merdeka21 chapter 24 . 4/12/2015
More, more, more, please! The two year anniversary of this last chapter is almost here, so it's the perfect time for an update!
flikaroo chapter 24 . 3/11/2015
It's been really interesting to see the shift and development of each brother as they adjust to new roles and a new life. I particularly enjoyed Leo's hangover, I was laughing on the elliptical that day, much to the confusion of everyone around me. I also really liked how grown up Mikey has become. And I always adore the brotherly fluff moments, especially Leo and Raph. I hope you will find the time to complete this story at some point.
Sunny Lighter chapter 24 . 2/14/2015
I love this story. I hope you update soon.
Nashara chapter 22 . 2/12/2015
Please, please, please, please, please update the story! It's been such a wild ride, and to have it end on chapter 24 (I know I'm reviewing chapter 22, but I've already reviewed 24. Sorry), with so many questions left is a damn shame! I hope you are alright and there wasn't a horrible incident that caused the story to go so long without an update.
Airmaid chapter 24 . 1/21/2015
I know it's been a while, but I'm still going to follow/fav just in case this gets updated. It's amazing, and so close to the end. It would be such a shame to leave it like this.
Book girl fan chapter 24 . 12/28/2014
Wow! I finally made it through all near four hundred words of this, and it is fantastic. Seriously, brilliant. Everyone is described so well, and are so true to what I know of their personalities. I love their looks, their friends, their jobs, and how their old life is persistent, and will never simply leave them alone. Is there more to this?