Reviews for The More Things Change
Dear, Calliopechild,

I'm a bit new to fanfiction sites, and it looks like this story hasn't been updated for a while, but I'm hoping you might still appreciate a review from a recent reader.

I've spent the past few months slowly getting through your story, reading it in bits and pieces at a time and enjoying it immensely along the way. However, when I first read the premise I was skeptical. The turtles as humans? I now realize this is somewhat common in fanfiction, but I hadn't read any such stories, and it seemed to me that one of the things that is so compelling about the heroes in green is their very...turtle-y-ness. At least, being different from humans is what keeps them isolated from society, and that isolation is partly what maintains their close bonds with each other. Taking that away seemed to me like it would make them less special and less interesting. Lucky for me, you have a lot of follows and reviews, and that convinced me to give your story a chance.

Turns out, you kept perfectly true to the characters' personalities, simply putting them in a new and challenging situation and exploring their natural reactions according to their respective traits and tendencies. And even though you made the turtles human, you didn't take away their past experiences, which set them quite far apart from the average human's experience. And you used their unique perspectives to give us a fresh window through which to view human society. I really enjoyed how thoroughly you explored their adaptations to their new way of life, from the practical details of where they would live and how they would have to get used to clothing, to the emotional issues of what it would be like to not be feared by humans but accepted in society, and to no longer live with the threat of one day being found out and captured or killed just for being mutants. All the details you include make this sci-fy story realistic and compelling.

Another aspect I appreciate about your story is your treatment of the characters' inter-relationships. You captured the brother's dynamics in just the way I would picture them. Now I'm not as versed in TMNT lore as you obviously are (and I really enjoyed all your references to their past exploits, even if I didn't know all the details of those exploits myself-Battle Nexus Champion!), but I did grow up in the hey-day of the turtles, watching the cartoon, the live-action movies, and playing ninja turtles with my siblings. We all had our favorites, of course, and we knew all their personality quirks and how they related to each other. I found your story just at a time when I was seriously reflecting on my adult sibling relationships, and reading your interpretation of the turtles' relationships gave me a lot to chew on as I considered my own. The way those bonds grow, change, become strained and sometimes estranged, is pretty relevant for me and I appreciated your thoughtful perspective. It's at once comforting and painful to think of those close bonds, and how they can sometimes suffer what seems like irreparable damage-yet the sibling tie can never really be broken.

I also got to read your take on the four of them getting jobs at a time when I myself was looking for my next work opportunity and wondering if I have anything useful to offer the world. That resonated as well.

Basically, I think you did a fantastic job capturing each personality and how they would react if they could enter the human world-and also how others would react to them. On top of that, you gave us a pretty interesting plot line. It was suspenseful and exciting and believable (in this universe, anyway).

Plus we got to see Leo, Don, and Mikey on dates...that was more than worth the read :)

So thank you for the story so far. I hope you get a chance to keep it moving forward. I would love to know what happened to Karai, how Leo recovers, whether any of the boys stick with their official and unofficial girlfriends, and if they guys are going to get to a place where they finally feel safe-or at least less threatened on a daily basis. After all, turtles or no, they'll always be ninjas, right?

Cowabunga!

-Arrowan
Merdeka21 chapter 24 . 4/12
More, more, more, please! The two year anniversary of this last chapter is almost here, so it's the perfect time for an update!
flikaroo chapter 24 . 3/11
It's been really interesting to see the shift and development of each brother as they adjust to new roles and a new life. I particularly enjoyed Leo's hangover, I was laughing on the elliptical that day, much to the confusion of everyone around me. I also really liked how grown up Mikey has become. And I always adore the brotherly fluff moments, especially Leo and Raph. I hope you will find the time to complete this story at some point.
Sunny Lighter chapter 24 . 2/14
I love this story. I hope you update soon.
Nashara chapter 22 . 2/12
Please, please, please, please, please update the story! It's been such a wild ride, and to have it end on chapter 24 (I know I'm reviewing chapter 22, but I've already reviewed 24. Sorry), with so many questions left is a damn shame! I hope you are alright and there wasn't a horrible incident that caused the story to go so long without an update.
Airmaid chapter 24 . 1/21
I know it's been a while, but I'm still going to follow/fav just in case this gets updated. It's amazing, and so close to the end. It would be such a shame to leave it like this.
Book girl fan chapter 24 . 12/28/2014
Wow! I finally made it through all near four hundred words of this, and it is fantastic. Seriously, brilliant. Everyone is described so well, and are so true to what I know of their personalities. I love their looks, their friends, their jobs, and how their old life is persistent, and will never simply leave them alone. Is there more to this?
miss-meowness chapter 24 . 12/28/2014
Aww...poor Master Splinter. It must be so...weird not having his sons around anymore, and then up and getting his first phone call from them being 'hi Sensei? oh, we're fine, but Leo's in the hospital because our long-going enemy karai attacked him. yeeeahh...'. My heart goes out to him. But I feel even more for the turtle brothers and this whole bed-ridden Leo thing, because not only is there the mushy if not painstaking wait for recovery, but there's the whole threat of just waiting to see if any other crap decides to come their way again (daRN YOU Karai. .). I hope you still have this story in mind, (since it looks like its been a year since you updated it) but if not still, thank you for writing this much. It's truly been a delightful story to delve into up to this point.
Book girl fan chapter 12 . 12/27/2014
That's awesome. I'm sure her dad will appreciate the coincidence, as will she and Leo once they find out.
Book girl fan chapter 5 . 12/27/2014
The descriptions were awesome. I think they really suit them, though I may have imagined Mikey as more of a strawberry blonde.
miss-meowness chapter 20 . 12/24/2014
HOLY COW. This story is getting so intense and deep and I don't even know how to deal. This story is hands down absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for writing this, and I wouldn't change my mind on this story even with four more chapters to go...because its already in the highest of standards in my opinion; No questions, one of the greatest pieces of literature I've read in a long time (This is not flattery, I swear, thank you so much for this amazing TMNT-writing talent). I look forward to reading whatever is in store for us readers next (from past reviews, it looks like the story leaves off in a cliffhanger? or something. I tried to avoid spoilers so I only glossed over them)!
miss-meowness chapter 10 . 12/21/2014
I'm so glad I recently discovered this. This story is wonderful! You haven't ceased to move me with each passing chapter and has had me captivated by this talent and effort put into the story. Thank you so much for writing it. :) I love how in character and how in depth you go with them. I have to admit, chapters ago I was uncertain with reading the rest of the story past that chapter they discovered they were considering becoming human as...other stories, I don't believe can pull off as decent an execution (relating canonically especially). This story though...its blown my mind. I love all of the funny references to you slip in from time to time, and how we can see the multiple perspectives of all the turtles in character (I often see when authors switch from perspective to perspective, it's obvious which one is their favorite, but for you its a little less obvious I think), and the problems that the former-turtles are faced with in adjusting to their new lives are so well thought out on how they individually react to it. You've even got the thoughts of outsiders, villains and friends to what's happening (like, with that shop owner at first I was really confused, like 'who is this guy?' then I saw a paragraph in that four guys walked into the store and it clicked. And I wasn't disappointed at all with what followed either). Absolutely fantastic story...and I've got like 10 more long chapters to go, so am looking forward to it! (g' night for me now...)
Shirubagure chapter 24 . 11/26/2014
Ah...that moment when you realize there's nothing else's to read because there are no more chapters left. :c I'll have to say this though, your story was just amazing in multiple levels. Like way, way up there. It was so well-written, the plot was amazing, and your characterization was awesome. I couldn't think of better personalities to give the turtles and the others. I just...have soo many things I want to say, but I don't want this to be too long. I was really scared for Leo as well and anxious to know if he was okay when he got hurt by Karai as well. There's just soo many questions and much more! I can't wait for you to update this! :D I'll wait forever if I have to!
Technophobia678 chapter 24 . 10/11/2014
Please, please, PLEASE tell me you are still alive and well and this story is still ongoing. That sounds a little like I've got my priorities mixed up; I do sincerely hope all is well with yourself out of concern for a fellow human being. That being said; I'm desperate to read more of this universe.

There's so much left to learn! What happens to Karai? How will the police react to the whole debacle? How will Leo's employers or Mike's nurse friends react? Will Karai get what's coming to her? So many unanswered questions! Please be alive to answer them! I could go on, but I think you get the gist. Hope to hear from you soon!
sav chapter 24 . 8/25/2014
I stumbled upon this fanfic a few months ago and I have re-read this for the third time now. I honestly think this is the best story I've ever read, hands down. I normally hate OC's with a passion but I LOVE all of yours, they're so well done. I've read a few human fics as well but in my opinion they come nowhere near this one.
You have done such a amazing job with the story and everyone's personality and I really hope you can still finish this! In almost all your previous chapters you say you wouldn't abandon this story and I really hope that is still the case because I want to see this finished, especially since there are only 2 (?) chapters left... I also hope nothing serious happened for you to stop updating for so long though.. Please come back! This really is the best fanfiction and I've read A LOT of 'em. Please finish this story!