Reviews for Searching for Disaster
Shadow Lighthawk chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
I must say, I'm deeply impressed with your method of getting Harry into the mirror room without his knowing what the hell was going on. I love how confused Quirrel was about Harry's ignorance. It was *priceless*! It also illustrated the essential self-centeredness (yes, I know, not a word) of Wizards. Quirrel assumed that since he was there with the express purpose of stealing the Stone, then Harry had to be there to stop him. What a moron. I'm curious about who was firing at Quirrel, of course (my money is on Snape), but I'm more curious about this: will Harry manage to keep the Stone? Quirrel/Voldemort didn't know he had it, and Wizards, being inherently illogical, probably won't think to check his pockets for it.

I have a question about the Mirror, though. Erised is supposed to show your heart's desire. In canon, Harry got the Stone because it was his heart's desire to keep Voldemort from getting the Stone. Why did Harry get the Stone here? It would amuse me to know end if he got it because his perennial heart's desire is to screw with people's minds. _

Anyway, I've really enjoyed the story so far. Injecting a healthy dose of sarcasm, cynicism and logic into the Wizarding World is both fun (since watching Wizards try to cope is hilarious) and a little sad, because it sure takes the shine off. One thing I think you need to be a little careful of is going too far in the other direction. Yes, JKR's canon requires a certain suspension of disbelief, but if you push too far with the cynicism, you could wind up with caricatures instead of characters.

I've got to tell you, I'm a little miffed that you killed Hedwig. Of all the secondary character/plot devices that appear perennially in fic, she's probably my favorite. I was steamed when JKR killed her, but then, JKR ended up killing the majority of my favorite characters in the end, for which I have still not forgiven her. What did *you* have against the owl?

I think the most amusing thing so far (barring Harry walking out of Snape's class) is Harry's aversion to Dumbledore. It's funny in general terms of course, but also because a lot of canon!Dumbledore's machinations relied on the fact that Harry trusted him implicitly. Wondering what will happen in this AU when Harry tells Dumbledore to sod off never fails to make me grin.

On another level, though, you make an interesting point about what made Harry trust Dumbledore in the first place. Looking at it through the lens of this story, it seems more and more like Harry trusted Dumbledore mostly on Hagrid's recommendation and because Dumbledore was symbolic of the magical world to him. With the gloss completely gone from the magical world for your Harry, the aura of trustworthiness that surrounds Dumbledore in canon is completely absent as well.

I'm looking forward to Harry's "chat" with Dumbledore!
Kit chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
I can't remember what Harry saw in the mirror in PS/SS just before the stone dropped into his pocket. Did he see himself, or his family? Does this Harry only see his reflection? (In which case he's "the happiest man in the world," I guess. :P) It's hard to imagine what his heart's desire would be.

I'm quite curious as to how he did on his Potions exam without attending a full class the entire year. Did his self-preservation instincts kick in and prompt him to study for the exam?

Really enjoyed the chapter, and I never even THOUGHT about flying over the chessboard before. Rowling really did have it set up so it played to their strengths- and if the troll had been conscious, it would have played to an already-acquired skill. Looking forward to the next one!
Johnny-on-the-spot chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
Thank you! I love the fic and the plot! Harry is just spot on. Will he get Dumbledore back for having his Gringotts key and find out why he had it; or that he put Harry with his relatives? Will Harry find out a way to keep the stone?
Lady Silverhawk chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
Awesome chapter! Can't wait to see what happens next! _ Totally agree with your Quirell rant...never made sense to me either.
venefici chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
Your story owns, evrything you have written so far have been thigns I have guestioned myself
Play4ever chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
This. Is. AWESOME!

I love the Harry you wrote. :))

I will be keeping an eye on this story and am looking forward to the new chapters. :)

I especialy love harrys eye twitching. :D
spacecatdet chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
I like this. I look forward to seeing whatg happens next. Love teh sarcastic, paranoid Harry.
Tommy14 chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
I'm enjoying this fic and hope to read more.
Lia3 chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
Cool character. Would like to see how Harry got this way. He still needs schooling but perhaps doesn't need a job with his inheritance.
noylj chapter 6 . 8/20/2008
If Harry had a brain, he would have taken the poison and wine with him. One never knows when one will need poison and what boy wouldn't want his own stash of wine?

Terrible cliffie. Was it the imbecilic Bumbles who managed to attack Harry and destroy a "priceless" mirror? Will ANYONE ever ask the incompetent fool why he would use bait to lure the Dork Lard into a school with children and TELL the children exactly where NOT to go, thus guaranteeing that any reasonable student (such as the Weasley twins) would be all over the third floor corridor?

I could only assume in JKR's world, wizards have no sense of child protection and find random deaths at school to be the norm.

PS: if your Harry has any brains, he will take his money and get the hell away from shit-for-brains pedophile headmasterbaters and hateful non-guardians. He would find more sympathy and care from the goblins then he will in the "human" world of his universe.

Why canon!Harry ever wanted to save any of the magical community is beyond me. Even his "best friends" were little more than pathetic excuses for human beings who ignored Harry's problems and demanded that Harry tell them everything about his life (and then ignore all the bad parts).
noylj chapter 5 . 8/20/2008
The important thing about astronomy in the wizarding world is that it has to be so different from muggle vision. Mars DOES NOT get brighter, suddenly, in the muggle world and its brightness certainly can't be used for predictions (even if one was stupid enough to believe in astrology).

Star charts only change based on the time and date (one rotates the chart to match the sky) and one would never have students doing a star chart for a test. The location of any planets in the sky might make for an interesting mathematical prediction or a memory test. Also, if you are doing a star chart, you certainly do not use a telescope.

I wonder how good a magical telescope is?

Imagine astronomy without any science or math, just the celestial sphere. Not even any canon mention as to WHY it is a core course or what it is used for. It certainly doesn't seem to be used for divination.
noylj chapter 4 . 8/19/2008
Harry needs a Jarvey.

Great story. He REALLY should try talking to Sprout about the other teachers and their attitudes to poor 'Puffs.
noylj chapter 3 . 8/19/2008
Re: Rant

If you notice, TV aliens always have a perfect understanding of liberal politics and popular entertainment, and no understanding of anything invented in the last 300 years.

IF you notice, Snape wasn't wearing anything except underwear under his robes (and there was NO uniform specified in Harry's 'Orientation" letter other than robes and the girls chase the boys out to put on their robes) and yet EVERY fanfic and movie has uniforms that are worn under the robe.

Wizards do not understand muggle clothes or fashion, yet they seem to either wear the same clothes many times or something so NOT normal that no one with half a brain would wear without noticing that NO muggle was dressed in anything similar.

Note: Dumble's introduction was as a very tall and thin old man wearing robes showing no sense of color and HIGH_HEELED, SILVER BUCKLED boots. And people laughed at me when I said he sound gay.

Do you remember the Galleon being described as the size of a hubcap? Even the little Brit joke-cars have hubcaps that are too big to fit in my pocket.
noylj chapter 2 . 8/19/2008
Personally, I might suspect that the total loathing and hatred on a stranger's face along with a sudden burst of pain in a magic environment would make me wonder. Not, as you say, my very first thought, but a quick follow-up thought (especially if the SOB saw me flinch in pain and smiled-granted, canon isn't that detailed, but does anyone doubt the look of pure joy on snape's face when Harry almost collapsed in pain?).

Please update story frequently. I really like this Harry so far, thought he has been a little too laid back and reactive. Needs to start a little pro-active chaos.
Vestis chapter 6 . 8/19/2008