Reviews for No Antidote
Scarlet Pikachu chapter 2 . 5/27/2010
Fear is a powerful thing.
ArtikGato chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
Right. So as a result of this entire story I am now *terrified* of Arboks. Just so you know.

There's not much else I can add as a review that nobody else has. You've definitely put a spin on Pokemon that I won't be forgetting for a long time. It started out as a tragic story that I for some reason just couldn't stop reading and turned out something incredibly twisted. But your characterizations of the Pokemon were really well-done, so good job in that respect.
Yami Vizzini chapter 8 . 4/25/2010
Wow. There aren't a whole lot of words that describe the tale you've woven, but wow! The way everything just comes together (notably Bulbasaur's flashback after he understands his poison affinity) is astounding.

I am a little unclear on the ending. Certainly a lot of blanks should be left for the reader to fill, but I take it ghost Pokemon are starting to possess starter Pokemon? Are the starters' original minds still in there? The shelter idea seemed fine by itself- but then, another safety net is no bad thing, and, again, depending on the reader's interpretation, that may or may not have come to fruition. Sorry if I'm overthinking this, but I think it's testimony to how you've sucked readers into this world.
SunLight chapter 8 . 4/23/2010
Amazing story, excellent concept (if very creepy). I love your characterizations of the pokemon, and everyone's aspirations are believable.

Great work!
Chang-Tong chapter 8 . 4/18/2010
I have just started reading this fic and finished it today, and my friend, it was very well worth the read. 8D

This piece of work of yours is absolutely beautiful, and so very emotional that gets me stirred up in the inside. It was very moving, well-written (especially compared with some pokemon fanfics that are written by inexperienced kids), and the character-development of Marty's pokemon are all very realistic. It almost made me shed a a tear or two, but that's a good thing.

You had done a job well done and deserve a big congratulations! I feel so sorry for Bulba/Ivysaur... ;_;
Kayi Rowling chapter 8 . 4/2/2010
I first came to knowledge of your story from TV Tropes (impressive history over there, by the way). And I must say I'm grateful to those hard-working guys and gals making recommendations; yours is certainly a fanfic that must not be missed if one passes by the fandom.

Either way, the only thing that disappointed me, and seemingly I'm not the only one bothered by it, is the last chapter. I can take Gelatina-sama (it's hilarious that Giratina sounds so close to the Spanish word for "jelly") even when I was under the firm impression of a GEN1 universe and the ghosts' motivation, but I could simply not take the zombie trainers implied ("Marty" had already stretched me to the limit) and the whole politicking issue that ended in a paranoid world with paranoid children (or is it that Olivia has problems of her own?) the same way.

I really think that the fanfic would be far more satisfying in the end by telling us a bit more about what happened to the "heroes" that took our hearts away during their journey, or closer encounters with the zombie trainers and their poor starters, or without the Olivia bit... But then again, it's your fanfic, you knew what you were doing with it, and it was a GOOD work, regardless of what all the readers may protest about.

...and I'm not happy with my own review now; criticizing comes easier than praising for most human beings. But I hope you can understand this lame excuse of a review, and that you can forgive me for being so awfully mean.
Rastaman chapter 8 . 2/27/2010
This has to be one of my favorite fanfictions of all time, and I only stumbled on it by chance last night. First of all, your ability to create personalities that actually adhere throughout the entire story is brilliant. I love how everything ties together through uneventful lines from earlier chapters. I especially love how you made Beedril. He was my favorite character, though I can't explain why. I was so sad when Bulbusaur slammed the door shut in his face and told him to leave in chapter 2, especially when they woke up and Beedril was pressed against the window (I almost cried) but I was happy that he stayed with the group.

I only have one problem with the story - the ending. It was a big letdown in respect to everything that had led up to it. All the drama, the tragedy, and the ending seemed, so to say, less personal than it should have been (as said by other people before me.) Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but I wish you would at least write another ending,, at minimum, that explains where Ivysaur, Beedril, Golbat, Arbok and even Haunter went after the journey was over.

Great job, though.

Rastaman
Minion of Set chapter 8 . 1/11/2010
I feel very lucky to have read this. For one thing, Bulbasaur is my favorite Pokemon, so that's nice for me. More objectively, it was a well written insight into the world of Pokemon from a Pokemon's perspective. I've played the games since they first came out, and never once did I feel bad about fighting wild Pokemon. But when Weedle was begging for mercy, and asking why he was hit, that was positively heart-wrenching!

Admit it, the scene where you pull all the those seemingly innocuous lines from the story together, and explain just how Marty got poisoned, was inspired by the the reveal in Kotor, wasn't it? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about :)

Though I have to admit, I am not fond of the ending. I would have much preferred that they became Brandon's Pokemon. And I had hopes for this. Then I get smacked with ghostly possession. I also wish I could have found out what happened to Ivysaur (became a Venasaur, of that I'm certain).

Ah well, thanks for the read.
Illusion-Factory chapter 4 . 1/11/2010
so Marty and his team's positions are reversed. It sorta like he's their pokemon.
Fanatic Drone N chapter 8 . 1/5/2010
WOW... I just learned what can happen when you randomly browse...

It was, overall... odd. In a good way. I usually don't like such sad stories, but this one was written well enough, and with enough humor ('Do they fight? Do they speak? Do they fall in love?' and 'Maybe they thought she was hot.') to keep me interested.

Poor Marty... You're right though: In the games and movies, it's always this unrealistic idealised world where no one gets hurt... seriously. It's hard to see Marty just die like that. In the big 'possesion' scene, I thought Giratina would be able to pull a few more strings to get Marty back. What you did with Haunter was just... creepy. On a whole new level of creepy.

You did a good job of making the Pokemon the main characters, though: The only reason I feel bad about Marty is that he's basically some poor kid who got his hopes up, and was killed by not knowing his Pokemon was a certain type, or that he should'nt drink medicine for animals.

Maybe you could do a sequel fic, sort of a prequel to the Mystery dungeon games. Marty coukd have a little conversation with Giritina:

"It's okay." Marty said, "I only get one life to live. I understand."

"You truly have the apathy of the dead, human... Do you mind what we did with your body?"

"A little weird, but anything to help Ivysaur."

"Yes... Well ordinarily, you would be correct, and this would be the end. However, I have a special offer to make you... Have you ever heard of a human becoming a Pokemon?"

The main point of the fic would be to explain how they found humans willing to sacrifice their entire lives and start over: They already didn't have any life. (If you do write it, feel free to use those lines).

Great fic overall, though I found it a bit too depressing. It opens the door to some very important questions.
Lixie Lorn chapter 8 . 12/28/2009
Sad.

And then d'aw at the end. _ I love it.

Stormy
Shadow Wasserson chapter 8 . 11/9/2009
Excellent, excellent story. The characters were believable, the plot twists engaging, the moral satisfying... very good. I love especially how you make us feel for pokemon that most people ignore or vilify (beedrill and zubat especially).

Only two issues. One is the involvement of Giratina. Why is this important enough for the death dragon to get involved? He didn't really do anything that Haunter couldn't have thought of and done on his own, and his presence asks more questions than it answers.

Also, the end chapter, in moving away from Ivysaur and Marty, seems to lose some of its emotional impact. It would be better, I think, to see what happened in the Championship 'in person' instead of hearing about it from a new character with whom we have no attachment.

But overall, an amazing story, and well told!

-SW
Favored chapter 8 . 9/18/2009
Wo-ow. I read all of this in one sitting. Amazing, although sorta sad, too.

I loved it.
Dragonfree chapter 8 . 8/10/2009
Heh. Interestingly done.

It started out like an attempt to write a touching tale of a Pokémon trying to accomplish his trainer's wishes before his death. But then, ever so subtly, it all became less and less about Marty and more and more about the Pokémon, which I first thought seemed strangely inappropriate for the story. Then I watched Marty stop speaking and actually /doing/ anything, while Bulbasaur didn't even really notice or care so long as he felt like Marty was still /there/ in some form, and that gave me the first strong suspicion that you were making a story about something completely different and much more twisted. Ivysaur's realization in chapter six was definitely the highlight of the story, with the flashback interspersed with quotes that seemed innocuous enough when they originally appeared but are given a new layer of relevance when put in this context. Great job on the writing in that scene especially; it was chilling and overall very well executed.

After this, I felt the story lost some of its charm. Pokémon fics essentially fall into two categories, those that use legendaries and those that don't, and it is rather jarring when a story that seems to fall into the latter group suddenly makes a legendary appear in a significant role, as with Giratina here. And it was never Marty's story, no, but it was Bulbasaur's; after chapter six it felt like you were stretching it a bit when it suddenly became a matter of all starters (while Bulbasaur's issues are of course shared by other starter Pokémon, that was implied several times already). I feel like you could have made just about the same point if you'd stuck with Bulbasaur, perhaps made Haunter decide to do the possession thing by himself (it doesn't seem too uncharacteristic of him), and just ended it with him feeling strangely content with the fake Marty, but the real ending more or less works too; mostly, as I said, it just feels somewhat odd to go so suddenly from a relatively down-to-earth story about individual tragedy to something involving ghostly possession on a large scale organized by a legendary.

One thing confused me about the final scene, particularly in Olivia's "Are you one of those new ones? The ones that take over my body if I die?" Are the starters somehow now able to do the possession themselves, or do they have a special ghost assigned to each of them individually from the get-go or what? Or has the story just become distorted on the way to reaching Olivia's ears (possibly implied by the Squirtle first being confused when she asks)?

It also struck me as odd in the final chapter when it was said that starters don't imprint on individuals, but merely on the idea of having a trainer; unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant there, it seems to contradict Bulbasaur's feelings throughout the story, both his general attachment to Marty and especially the scene where he found it completely unthinkable to seek out Brandon and go with him instead. Perhaps he in particular just couldn't let go because Marty was technically still around, but I still wondered.

Otherwise, this is well written and ingeniously thought out. Good job.
Backdraft451 chapter 8 . 6/16/2009
Er...wow...

Yup, that pretty much sums it all up...

So far, and by a long shot the greatest Pokemon fic I've ever seen, if not the one of the greatest in the whole site. And that's precisely because it came from something so unassuming - Pokemon.

What is truly astounding for me personally, is that you managed to convey such an exposition in only 8 chapters, and that you actually thought so long and hard about Pokemon. I think you're grasp of psyche is also interesting, such that you managed to integrate Bulbasaur's realization of his and Marty's folly and naivete into the progression, revealing it fully in chapter . It only hit me midway that Bulbasaur was actually immune to poison in the first place, and the huge wordplay with "no antidote".

You've also analyzed, far more then even normal fans would I'd say, the intricacies of what it means to be a trainer and a trained Pokemon. And you pull off all the heartbreaking moments very well.

If I had to give any advice, it would be that the end was jarring. I think your urge to display your underpinning philosophies (like the idiocy of sending 10 yr old's out into the wild, and imprinting) began to slightly override your sense of narration. So, to me at least, the whole idea of Giratina and Haunter was very deus ex machinish in every sense of the word.

Also, the poetic lines that mark every chapter, kinda off. The subtlety and meaning are nice, but they break the flow.

Anyway, your fic has honestly transcended tribute and become literature. You should be proud.

Good Job.