Reviews for Only Family Left
TraSan chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Oh wow - too lovely for words.

The pain they were both going through laid out and bared for all of us to read and done so well.

Strangely enough, I was discussing this moment (the cup of caffeine) as well as another from this episode with a someone just two night ago. Freaked me out just a little bit. LOL

I enjoyed how you showed first Sam's and then Dean's little healing moments. Done so well with the other brother also lost and unsure, but doing their best to help and the other accepting it.

*sigh*

Beautiful.
carocali chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Oh how I wish something like this would have happened. I always hated how Sam never got to grieve for his father, and this was so perfectly done. Not only do you have Sam's grief, but Dean actually releases some of his own.

The journal is perfect. Maybe it's in their storage locker...

A lovely healing moment between the boys that brought a few little teardrops to my own eyes.

Many congratulations on the success of the auction. It's good to know that there truly are still good people out there!

:D
Elliesmeow chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
That was really lovely. I'm glad the boys got that last bit from their father. It struck me as odd he wouldn't have another journal floating around. A guy who is dedicated to taking things down doesn't just stop all of the sudden. I wonder if he'd had one before Mary died?

Great fic. Thanks so much.

-Ellie
zookitty chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
That is an amazing opening line!

-Dad’s term. The last thing Dad had said to Sam, in fact.- aw this line made my heart clench in that sad but good way. You are an amazing writter Hanna!

aw worried/protective/doting Dean is the bestest Dean there is. haha

Poor Sam!

aw the scene with Dean and the little girl was priceless, I like how he tried to subtly warn her. That's so very Dean. I love how well you write his more sensative sweet side.

-What, did Sam manage to befriend the whole town in a few hours? While brooding?- LOL! That line was just to classic! Nice

I like the scene where Dean is thinking about how he was just getting to know his brother again before thier dad died. soo sweet but sad

-There’d been days when he’d snuggled up in Dean’s lap, freshly bathed and sleepy, ready for a story, and he’d fit just right. Dad hadn’t read to him; Dean had.- Killed me with this line K! Killed me...I'm dead from the cuteness

-it was Sam’s pain he felt most keenly, not his own- I came back to life and got kiled by this line too. This is one of the most beautiful stories you've ever written...and all of them ALL of them are soo beautiful.

The reading it aloud scene was beautiful, and as a side note on the sunglasses I love how in your stories they randomly borrow or wear eachothers stuff...it just seems to symbolize how much they complete each other.

-Nearly all the times Sam had cursed him for not being there, in fact, he had been, silently watching over them from a distance. The thought left his youngest more than a little stunned.- Wow that was so well put, but really it makes perfect sense. That's how I imagine it would be. Ok I'm know I'm still working on the story you inspired (and gave me permission to write) but I have to ask...can I write the scene with John at Jess' funeral? This scene struck me hard and I'd like to try it if you don't mind.

Wow brovo...this was possibly your best work yet! It was amazing, it was perfect and honestly it was exactly what I needed tonight. Thank you, thank you so much
IheartSam7 chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Sometimes he pushed when Sam just needed quiet, and sometimes he was quiet when Sam needed to talk. Dean had gotten rusty in Sammy while his brother had been away, and then Sam came back different, grown up. Dean had learned again, had finally started getting it right more often than not, when Dad…

Wow. that is one of the greatest lines you have ever written, and this is one of the most amazing stories you have ever written. In an instant you had Sam heartbroken, and feeling all kinds of lost and alone, just to have Dean take a few simple steps and fix it all. You do that so well, you know, and I am so excited to read to the next one :)
saschi chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
I really enjoyed this story. I love the way you write about Dean's grief for his father, and how you show Sam dealing with it and trying so hard not to burden or hurt Dean with his pain. I really love the line, "Sam was his best distraction, but he could also be his most painful reminder." I love that Dean went to find him; I love that Sam helped those people even while so upset; I love when Dean found him and took care of him; I love the idea with the journal and both boys' reactions to it... I also really liked the way you used the line from In My Time of Dying: "...a cup of caffeine," and the way Sam reacted. Really well done, I really enjoyed it! Also, it's amazing what you did with the auction. I really admire what you did and I'm glad it turned out so well for everyone :)
Landwing chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Stories like this, about the boys dealing with their father's death, always leave an ache of compassion behind. Which only goes to show that Kripke got the brothers dead-on right. Still, when Dean asked Sam to just bring back "a cup of caffeine", I couldn't help an involuntary hiss and thought, 'Oh, not good, Dean, not good!' Everybody knows that Dean has triggers that could set him off, but not everybody thinks that Sam might have some, too. It's interesting to see Sam doing what he can to help people when he bolts, but it makes a kind of sense, too-he can at least help people a little this time whereas he couldn't help his dad at all. Doesn't fix anything by any means, but maybe it helps him a bit. And the heartstrings are still recovering from that pull.

To be honest, I'd never even considered the fact that John would have had to have written in another journal. It makes sense, now that you bring it up, but it never occurred to me before. And of course Bobby would've found it. Somehow it just figures that John would be much more comfortable committing his thoughts and ideas and feelings to paper. Sometimes it's safer to do so, but often it's just easier to do than speaking. Spoken words can't be crossed out, erased, torn up, or redone to sound better. Dean reaching for the sunglasses was poignant, but it was a nice touch. And hopefully sometime before S4 the heartstrings will recoil and be ready for what comes next.

Meanwhile, thanks for keeping us occupied as we wait.
alwaysateen chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Excellent new story!

Nice idea that John had a second journal... why not?

I'm so glad the auction went well, I wanted to contribute but the bids went too high for my little budget, sorry. :(
KatieLB chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
im thrilled to hear that the auctions went so well... you did an amazing job setting it all up. congrads to all the winners and thanks to all of you who put stories and videos up.

Another great story... there is something about those boys hurting that just pulls at our heart strings doesnt it? I could eat it up! So glad we finally have a date for the beginning of season 4! SO EXCITED and very excited to hear you are going to keep spoiling us until then! thanks
Zaphire chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
So after figthing with FF(D0T)net for a few hours, I finally got to read the story which was great by the way. I really enjoyed this stories you interwine with the show, cause I can see it play it out, and sometimes they are really needed it.

Glad to hear we get to enjoy more of your stories and glad to hear that the auction was a great hit. Are we going to be lucky enough to read what the stories the bidders won.
Klutzygirl33 chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
I loved this story. I always love Sam fics set in the first four episodes of season two. I think the accident, finding John's body, and Dean's attitude towards him kinda traumatized Sam. I like that Sammy bolted after Dean asked him for coffee. I had this theory that Sam probably wasn't able to drink coffee for a long time after finding John.
daisymaygirl1 chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
This is just utterly beautiful. The Show concentrated so much on Dean's grief after John's death that it was wonderful to read about Sam's grief here. I adored the part where Dean found Sam, put his arm around him and let Sammy grieve.
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
OMG HUN!

AH

such and awesome peice, really smart too about how their dad was at Jess'es funeral, and gave the name of the faith healer to Joshua..made the brothers meet again

aww hun x

thanks so much, fills us in on a lot and you always weite so extraordinary and amazingly well hun x

such a treat

I LOVED IT xx

xthanks so much x
spnMom chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Old pains revisited *sniff*. The boys have suffered so much, but they still had each other... until the last stinking finale that is... Reading Fan Fiction is how I get over the ache, but this made me cry again. That is a good thing if you are the author, but now I need to go find a light hearted Wee!Chester *double sniff*. Thanks, I did love it even though it made me cry :-)
Orange Autumn chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Gah! You're so good at writing Supernatural stories. Like, not a word is wasted and everything has a meaning. I'm always aiming for that myself, but sometimes it doesn't feel like I hit the mark. Of course, you've been writing way longer than me, lol. I suppose I just need to keep writing, and I'll get better with each story. Thanks for this awesome read, and congrats on the money raised!
54 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »