Reviews for Only Family Left
Kelcor chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Hey, great job! I feel like you're moving up to a story where Dean finally breaks and Sam helps him heal... I could be wrong but I hope I'm not. LoL *hopeful/shy smile* As for the S4 Premiere, I read that it's now on September 4th... but, as you said, they could change their mind again. Hey! Maybe they'll gradually change it to July 31st! LMAO Wishful thinking, I know. hehehe Anyway, keep up the great work. I'm really looking forward to your next piece! :o)
NC Girl chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Somehow, I knew this was going to be an emotional masterpiece after I read the first sentence. In some ways, it almost feels like two completely different stories (one about Sam and the other about Dean) but on the other hand, they tie together so well that I can't imagine them being separated.

I have two favorite parts within the story, too- parts so well written that they just really stood out and made me read them again at least twice before moving on: 1.) Dean swallowed a sigh and dropped down on the bench next to him, shoving him over a little to make room. Then he slipped the cup of coffee—full and cold—out of his brother’s hands, replacing it with the still-hot cup. (I'm not sure what it is about this jesture other than it seems so caring in its casual deliberateness and so "Dean.")

Also 2.) He sat for a moment, blinking back tears. Then he sighed shakily and stood, gathering the keys and both their jackets. Dean was huddled beside the door, his body language screaming to be left alone. Sam didn’t challenge him on it, just pressed his coat into his hand, then tugged on his arm. “Come on,” he said gently. Looking frozen and bewildered, Dean shrugged the leather coat on and followed him. (What a touching illustration of complete faith and trust. Not only does Dean trust Sam to take the lead at this point, but Sam trusts Dean to let him.)

I just loved this! Thanks for posting. And congratulations on your auction! Great idea and I'm sorry I missed it!
RedDragen chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
that wa s a nice short story
Harrigan chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
This made me reach for the kleenex!

This was such a difficult time between the boys, and Kripke et. al. left a lot between the lines for us. (As well he should - we need these quiet opportunities to explore their grief, but he could only give us moments in the middle of a case. You could take us to see the moments between the cases.)

I think the scripts focused more on Dean's grief, so it was very satisfying to read this, and watch Dean cluing in to Sam's grief too. YOur Dean POV was very effective.

And then the second scene, in Sam's POV, moved forward alongside canon nicely, with Dean beginning to emerge from his pain.

(When Sam said that he was handling their dad's death better because he had Dean, that sorta ripped my heart out. Because Dean *wasn't* able to handle it better because he had Sam. Sam tried so hard to be for Dean what Dean has always been for him, but Dean just never got used to leaning on anyone for support, and couldn't meet him half way. I think your fic takes us on that journey beautifully!)
staceycj chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
This story not only illustrated teh differences between the two boys (Sam telling everyone his name, Sam looking like someone anyone can trust and Dean looking like something out of a serial killer handbook) but it also illustrated their love and afection for one another (Sam offering to read the journal aloud, Dean taking the cold coffee and giving Sam the warm cup) But it also showed just how similar their grief was, grief for a man that had haphazardly raised them but loved them just the same. This story made me cry. You did a beautiful job. Thank you for writing it.
calcium77 chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Way to make me cry on a Sunday morning! Evil, evil woman :-)
NativeStar chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
Aw, there you go breaking my heart! This is a lovely, heartbreaking look at their grief. The show focused so much on Dean's grief that it's nice to read something that deals with Sam's without sidelining Dean's. I like seeing Dean reach out to Sam, I was almost crying when he put his arm around him.

John's journal is a great idea too, it does make sense that he'd have kept one for that year and that Dean and Sam would inherit it. It's a nice bit of closure that both boys need.
Poaetpainter chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
I loved the whole story of Dean looking for Sam.
ames 449 chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
that was great hun, i really liked that, and what a unique angle to come at the aftermath of John's death from. I loved brooding Sam, and how Dean found the strength to push his own feelings aside to help his little brother. :)

We did very well in the auction. I cant believe how much we raised! :) some very generous fans in this fandom :)
54 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4