Reviews for A Stranger from the East
barelypassing4sane chapter 1 . 9/20/2014
Words cannot convey how much I adore this story. The descriptions of Djaq's family, her upbringing, the skills each family member gave her and her interactions with the boys, all of it is so wonderful. One of my favorite parts would definitely have to be where Djaq figures out why Khalind reminds her of Robin. In my head this will always be how I imagine Djaq's life before she met the outlaws.
Lottielue1 chapter 15 . 1/18/2014
Loved it!
QuidditchFlyer19 chapter 15 . 1/28/2013
I love it :) There aren't that many great fanfictions out there, but this is definitely one of the few. It's incredibly well-written and well-thought out. I couldn't stop!
Jammeke chapter 15 . 9/21/2010
I have greatly enjoyed reading this story. It has some wonderful (and insightful) gang moments in it and I liked the backstory you spun for Djaq. I also liked the way you described England through her eyes - especially the scene with the rain. I always felt Djaq grew used to England and the English customs too quickly, and I think your story fits in nicely between Turk Flu and the Taxman Commeth. Thanks for sharing it.

Jammeke
Hail To King Joffey chapter 15 . 8/15/2009
Just a small note of appreciation for your story, the characters were very well portrayed, the storyline you gave to Daja's past is very beleivable and compelling to read - the entire story was well written and a pleasure to read.

If your also looking for criticism's - which im hard pressed to thing of, their could have beem more D and W interaction (but in saying that, she was trying to stop them from falling in love with her - and that's just my romance bear bug talking.)

HighPriestessOfTheDreamWorld chapter 15 . 12/3/2008
Wow! I just finished this and I have to say that it was an incredible story. Djaq is such a fascinating character, but she never got to do much on the show. You have filled in all of the things we missed with her. I am a huge fan of anything W/D/A, and your depictions of their relationship were wonderful. Not only was everyone in character as they appeared on the show, you added so many additional layers to them and their interactions and motivations. I loved this story! I can't wait for your next one. There are not enough Djaq stories out there.
VanillaBean75 chapter 15 . 11/27/2008
Ha! That last line was awesome! This is a great story; well thought out snd detailed. I am totally in love with Will/Djaq and while this story isn't about them much, it does offer insights into Djaq's character, which is always entertaining. I hope we see more from you.
hippie-girl 31 chapter 15 . 11/17/2008
Yay! You finally posted it. I know that I already reviewed this chapter elsewhere, but I just finished re-reading it here and was surprised to find a few things that I hadn't picked up on the first time.

Such as:

**Surely Robin wouldn’t insist that she leave for the Holy Land. She unconsciously place a hand on her sword, bracing herself**

I find it very in-character that Djaq would find her sword to be a source of security and strength, especially unconsciously. Just having it with her gives her courage. Surely she couldn't have hoped to fight off Robin, Khalid, and all his men with it, but just being able to reach down and feel it at her side would probably make her feel less alone and out-numbered. And the subtlety of the line (so subtle I stupidly missed it the first time) serves to reinforce her new-found freedom, won at her own hands (with the sword she dug out of the oak). Brilliant!

Also:

**There’s still time, a little voice said, but her feet stood as firm as the roots of an oak.**

I can't believe I missed that the first time! Aw. I love that oak reference. That may be my favorite line in the whole fic. (and that's saying quite a lot because there were many brilliant lines!)It just serves to epitomize everything she's left behind and all that she's embracing now. So very poetic. It just makes me wonder what in the world happened to make her trade in this new-found love of English oak trees for a love of pigeons. ;)

Seriously, great job! Thank you again for writing this. Djaq deserved it. I have loved every moment of it and I am biting my nails awaiting your next story.
KeepingAmused chapter 15 . 11/16/2008
Great irony in the last line. I LOVE perfect last-liners, this one made me giddy with the knowledge that our sage Djaq is in for a double-outlaw treat.

Please continue writing your fics. I have a serious appetite for Djaq/Allan stories...and I hope you have a new one on the menu...?
KeepingAmused chapter 8 . 11/11/2008
I love how you've created this story. So hooking, natural, with all the right character traits slipped into the correct places. The tension between Will and Allan at certain times is a good input, as their contrasting ideas would often put them in a case of conflict and Djaq's almost boyish openness and discomfort about the Saracen men is brilliant...
hippie-girl 31 chapter 14 . 11/9/2008
I must have been a very good girl, getting two updates of my favorite fanfic in one week! Thank you.

You, however, are very naughty for not revealing what went on between Djaq and Khalid! Shame on you. :) I suppose that I have no choice but to be patient and wait for the next chapter.

It's great how this chapter was only Djaq. She was forced to rely on the things she had learned since joining the lads (different types of trees, location of weapons store, etc.)and she proved to herself that she's a strong and capable woman. Good for her!

*One hand landed flat on the trunk of the tree, the other grappled wildly for the hollow that Will had carved out long before her coming, as though he’d somehow known she would need it in this time, in this very place.*

I think that the fact that she regularly (mentally) refers back to Will's contributions and achievements says a lot about how far he's come in her estimation in just the few weeks she's known him. This is a wonderful foreshadowing of her future feelings and revelations. Although she may not show it, she recognizes his quiet strength and wisdom.

*she looked up to see Will and Allan watching her from the trees. She wasn’t sure how long they’d been there, but judging from Will’s dazed expression and the fact that Allan’s eyebrows were raised almost to his hairline, it had been long enough to see her dispatch her opponent.*

Ha! I can just see the looks on their faces. I'm glad they finally got a glimpse of fierce warrior Djaq.

Thank you for updating so soon. I'm actually sorry that this story is so close to its end. You've done such an excellent job of, not only capturing Djaq's essence, but also weaving her a plausible and compelling backstory that what you've written has pretty much become canon for me.

Looking forward to more!
hippie-girl 31 chapter 13 . 11/6/2008
Sigh...Farewell, Thomas. I have really grown to like Thomas but I see why he had to go. You wrote his death perfectly. The contrast of his death and that of Djaq's mother was a stroke of genius. His was so simple, yet it was the sudden and unceremonious simplicity of it which sent her over the edge.

Poor Djaq. All of her plans for herself hinged on getting him to safety. I found it really heartbreaking how she thought that the completion of that one task would at once bring her closure on the past and redemption for her future planned actions.

Her numbness after Thomas's death really helps to explain how she would allow herself to be captured. I always saw her as someone who would rather die fighting for her freedom than be taken, but the show never offered us an explanation as to why she was so seemingly easily captured. His death being the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" for her in terms of kind of knocking the fight right out of her clears it up completely. It keeps her in character while adding another layer to her complex personality.

I love your description of her reaction to seeing him stabbed and thinking, momentarily, that he was pulling a face. That was so true to life.

Of course, now you've left me with a million questions about what went on behind closed doors between Djaq and Khalid.

Plus, I love concerned and worried Will. He's my favorite Will. Although there are so many sides of Will to love.

Thank you for updating with another brilliant installment.
SereneTeaCup chapter 13 . 11/6/2008
Thats so sad! :( Thomas was so nice! :( But your reasons for doing it make sense. great chapter!
El Gringo Loco chapter 12 . 10/31/2008
Ch 1-12 An interesting, wel paced story that makes good use of flashback/memory sequences. I look forward to reading more.
El Gringo Loco chapter 7 . 10/30/2008
Those best laid plans they say do often go astray. I like the way Djaq is finding her way in the gang. And the memory/flashback sequences really add depth to her character. I came late to this story and look forward to reading more.