Reviews for While the Ring went south
Icy Flame chapter 11 . 10/10/2003
YAY! I found the link to this story! *grins* I knew I saved it somewhere...but things tend to get lost on my computer .;. Just wanted to tell you this story kicks ass and I can't wait to read the rest! *grin* Love your style! *waves* Later yo, Icy
Greetings from Mordor chapter 4 . 10/5/2003
Wow. I'm loving this story so far, especially the ongoing conflict between the elf and the dwarf. Just brilliant.
Ngia chapter 21 . 9/12/2003
Long but exceedingly enjoyable, and the iade of tunnelling through the snow on the way down the mountain is a very feasible one, I've never seen snow save on T.V or in my freezer along with my frozen vegetables and chicken. But the idea of ploughing through the snow to me, could be quite difficult, because so much snow is needed to be shifted and the boys didn't have snow-shovels or an actually mechanical snowplough to create a path through the snow... so tunnel seems more feasible.

A small perhaps the wide of two persons wide and a little deep, just enough room to walk through for those who were preferrably more than tww to four feet off the ground.

No offense to the shortness of our beloved hobbits and dwarves, but hitching a ride on a burly man and or elf's back (even Bill the Pony!) is definitely nothing to complain about.

Particularly since the one who is getting a piggy-back ride, only has to hold and not actually do any work, like walking with a 20 to 40 kg (or heavier) load attached to one's back through a snowdrift or in this case snow-TUNNEL. While trying not to trip, slide and or fall over with said load on your back.

Just like being a packhorse.

Poor, poor, poor Bill, Tolkien should have just rolled Gimli down the mountain or introduced the concept of skiing, or snow-boarding. Bloom pulled it off in the Two Towers, using a sheild to slide down stairs while firing arrows off.

In theory the same concept could be applied to Gimli, using Boromir's sheild to do impressive sliding skills down the mountainside, provided he didn't crash into a rock or go in the wrong direction and slide over a cliff or something.

Oh well, pardon my rather crazy sense of humour, I'm an analytical type, so even insanity is feasible. Though I still am inclined to agree with the snow tunneling scenario, very retro.

Right, back on track, I love this rendition of the Fellowship's time on Caradhras, ver impressive, good character presentation, description and development. I particularly liked Boromir's characterisation, especially with the grunting, the tree-dangling incident and the forcefeeding of hot soup, despite his tendency to complain rather loudly.

Legolas was good as well, being a cheeky prat, a vindictive genius and the scarey tendency of impersonating his father, the ever wiley Thranduil of Mirkwood. Also the part in this chapter wen Boromir nails him in the face with a flying snowball, was well deserved, well executed and should have placed Boromir in the category of scoring the equivalent of a homerun. The guy has got GREAT aim, the elf deserved it.

Gimli was good as well, tough, hardy and prone to lunging and squishing cheeky elf princes, who loose their balance in puddles of muddy water... and making said elf princes heave after putting pipeweed in their waterskins. Very sneaky.

Aragorn was brilliant, the healer, hunter and generally all round good guy, with a bad habit of nagging, during the time paricularly when he, Boromir and Legolas were swept downstream... that and when he was being forcefed hot soup as well.

I have to say as well, Gandalf was great, with a tendency to place wagers on his companions, whether or not said companions will brawl or not. Hopefully Aragorn will pay his debt to the old wizard and fork over the bags of pipeweed he owes.

The hobbits were fantastic, especially Sam, shouting his poor lungs out at Aragorn who lost poor Bill the Pony in the warg attack. Thus we learn the handy leasson, 'Never trust a Ranger with a horse, or a pony. He'll loose them in a Warg attack".

Overall a stunning piece, detailed and descriptive with good character development, subtle humour and excellent charactorial comraderie.

Well done.

(P.S - I type really fast so if I have left alot of spelling mistakes, just for the record its Aragorn's fault).
Ngia chapter 5 . 9/12/2003
O.O! That was some uncanny mojo jojo, holey moley with macarony and cheese on top! Legolas nailed Gimli to a TREE!

By the beard, literally.

You are pleasantly surprising me in each chapter with these two hooligans trying to do each other in, down, over and under.

Pardon my rather vulgar sense of humour, but each chapter is highly entertaining with the little twists and turns, regarding Legolas and Gimli's fighting, squabbling, quarrelling and downright rudeness to one another.

Its like watching an episode of Judge Judy, with Aragorn as the Judge, Gandalf as the police warden, Gimli and Legolas on opposite sides of the courtroom hurling threats and insults at each other, the hobbits as the jury and Boromir and Bill the pony as their rather poor and unfortunate lawyers.

What a mixed up group.

Very entertaining.
Ngia chapter 4 . 9/12/2003
Another good chapter, filled with danger and humour, though I could have done for a bit more detail on the humour, especially the part where Legolas slipped (SLIPPED?) in the mud and went down like a sack of elven potatoes on his backside and was neatly squished by a burly sack of dwarvish potatoes named Gimli.

Painful.

Bruise-worthy.

And well worth vengeance.

I was just waiting for the 'LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE' announcement to come, and it did, though the rest of the Fellowship threw themselves in and halted the match, what a pity.

But however I would love to see a dwarf and elf brawl, I have to wait just a few chapters more, I hope.

But I shall read and hopefully see.
Ngia chapter 3 . 9/12/2003
Goodness! Hilarious! Rocks lol ROCKS! That was a very good idea, well expressed, though poor, poor Gimli, serves him right.
Ngia chapter 2 . 9/12/2003
*smug grin* Very nicely portrayed, I was surprised and concerned when I read the first half of this chapter, considering Gimli was wanting to get into a bit of mischief at the expense of a rather favoured Fellowship elf. One Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood.

Alas, I laughed at his expense and had a jolly good time doing it.
Ngia chapter 1 . 9/12/2003
Alright, alright, trueth be told, I was a little uncertain of reading this fic, fearing the uncertain doom of MarySueism lurking somewhere int he background waiting to ensnare me!

ARGH!

But I have to say, this is brilliant! I hadn't expected a fic where you have taken the journey on Caradhras and fleshed it out, in day by day detail (not to sure yet I haven't read the rest just yet).

But to put a long story short, I really enjoyed this chapter espcially the near murderous attempt of Gimli to tackle Legolas and the rather 'friendly' banter between them, regarling physical height, stature and poor eyesight.

Very nice.

No Mary-Sue, not even close to a Mary-Sue and no OFC's in sight, just the fellowship, a hypocritical elf, a bad-tempered dwarf, squabbling, quarelling, tripping, falling and flaring tempers. Not to mention, bets and wagers.

Ver intriguing and down right hilarious! I am hooked, line and sinker!

Well done _~
helga3 chapter 21 . 9/10/2003
Kind of a late review. Oh well.

I've been reading this fic during the last few days. It's not often you come across a LOTR story that is actually manages to stay true to canon and still bring something new as well, but you've managed it, and beautifully too.

I don't completely agree with all of your characterisation, but my complaints are only minor ones. I very much liked little details like Boromir thinking of Denethor and Faramir - for some reason the part about them spending a whole evening discussing a painting amused me. I'm also glad you bothered to see the difference between the hobbits, way too many people stick to the stereotypes with them, especially Merry and Pippin.

Anyway, I will definitely be coming back to read more of your stories._
Oort chapter 1 . 8/20/2003
Good story, but I noticed you haven't updated it in a year. Tolkien is the best author ever, but I also like Dune and Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game (and the rest of the ender series). I also like the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis and the Young Wizard series by Diane Duane, who also wrote a few of my other favorite book, like Spock's World. I would suggest you read some of those. I don't think Dwimordene exists any more, or at least I couldn't find them on the FIND featre. Anyway, update.
wellduh chapter 21 . 8/5/2003
*snort* "the sequel might not appear for a while"...I'm going to be 60 by the time it comes out. If it ever does. Have you given up on this? We are looking forward to it. If it comes. Right.
Carlisle chapter 21 . 7/28/2003
I loved it! I am very excited about reading the sequels. You are a very talented author. Good job! you should be proud of yourself
Carlisle chapter 11 . 7/21/2003
I love it so far! I had started reading this story on ! You are an awesome writer. I love the line: Come then, stunted one.
Andraste Emeraldpetal chapter 21 . 7/13/2003
I read this story like forever ago on a Legolas site and absolutely adored it, mellon nin. I decided to search for it on , and here it is! I loved this story and have been waiting for quite a while for the promised sequel. I hope that you're planning on posting it. Fantastic job, mellon nin.

Andraste Emeraldpetal
gayalondiel chapter 1 . 6/27/2003
Wow! this is lovely, you get so many fics about Gimli and Legolas' friendship but very few covor the preceding hostilities to any significant degree. I'm just sorry I got here so late.

G x