Reviews for What You Need
Random Ruth chapter 13 . 6/25/2013
This story is awesome. Makes me wonder where season seven's "Death's Head Cane" came from though.
story2tell chapter 13 . 5/5/2010
Wonderful, insightful story!
sydedalus chapter 13 . 8/25/2008
This is a really lovely way to achieve some closure for the end of season 4 while also looking forward, a theme you suggest throughout the piece. Nicely done. You just keeping getting better and better.

My favorite moment was House comparing the tread on his shoes to the tip of cane #3. It reminded me of one of those meditative moments that reveal so much about his character we occasionally get on the show. I also like that it adds more depth to the overall object study / how House encounters the world through objects.

The silver medal goes to the mental image you've given me of House contemplating the alleys of Singapore. So much desire in that moment. This one also contained my second-favorite use of sensory detail (the smells of the market), with the sensation of the cane handle being the first.

And then my favorite line: "Everything here has a story, some history that's been forgotten. It reminds him of everything he had to leave behind when he was a kid, of toys and books and music scattered all around the around the world." Because this line incorporates his early life in a manner that adds such substance to the chapter. Never mind that House likes a messy shop; here's *why* the shop appeals to him. I appreciate that. (As well as the photo by Ansel Adams. If that's not a spot-on comparison, nothing is.)

But the thirteenth chapter takes it from an object study to a commentary for me and provides the nice sense of finality that summer fics rarely have. Excellent work. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece.
Rachel Indeed chapter 13 . 8/19/2008
This was a really challenging concept, to write a character piece using nothing but inanimate objects, but you really succeeded in giving each chapter its own ambiance. Every cane had a history and a particular setting that embodied a piece of House's past or a flutter of his interest. My favorites were the exotic Singaporean cane (for not exploring), the post-Vogler cane (for bringing together his needs and desires), and of course the perfect cane (I loved that junkshop - it felt magical). The final vignette conveyed a sense of loss and painful new adjustments in the most House-ian way possible; prosaic and heart-breaking.

Thanks for writing. You are a terrific storyteller.
Trek Phan chapter 12 . 7/27/2008
This was very very well written!
cryingblacktears chapter 13 . 7/27/2008
amazing...I loved your insight into what could happen after the s4 finale...keep writing!

~CBT
08joanna chapter 13 . 7/27/2008
Such a bittersweet ending. In my own post-Wilson's Heart story (with the same title as yours, by the way), Wilson also stayed away from House for a week (but I got them back together soon afterward). Great minds think alike, I guess! Seriously, I enjoyed every chapter of this story. It was a very good idea, well executed. Thanks for the daily fix.
Megan Faye chapter 13 . 7/27/2008
This was a fantastic story! Very well written, and I really loved it! Great job!
c7a8t9 chapter 13 . 7/27/2008
that was awesome! thanks for a great story
anitablakevampirehunter chapter 13 . 7/27/2008
I really liked this chapter, and I've loved this whole concept of cane stories. Really well done, and I'm sad now that its over : ( I'm going to miss my daily updates : ( But at least I can come back and read it again!

Hollie : )
c7a8t9 chapter 12 . 7/26/2008
this is an awesome story. really good insight into House and I really like the story behind each cane, and how it relates to his life. i hope you keep it going if he gets a new one!
cryingblacktears chapter 12 . 7/26/2008
THE FLAME CANE! I love that cane *mourns its passing*

Loved this chapter...sad that its the 2nd-to-last one...but looking forward to your next chapter, I'm sure it will be just as amazing as these laset 12 :)

~CBT
fictorium chapter 12 . 7/26/2008
This is really an excellent piece, I really enjoyed your insight into the working of House's mind. It's so easy to forget sometimes how much the fact of his disability much play into the character's world view and you have just nailed it.
08joanna chapter 12 . 7/26/2008
Ah, the "bitchin'" flame cane. He did love it. Wonder whether it broke in the bus crash or just got lost. It's great that you had Wilson wanting to leave the shop to get back to the patients and House wanting to linger. This reminds me that the music when they returned to the hospital was a little jarring, considering that two young boys were in peril, but it was welcome comic relief in an otherwise heavy episode. Too bad this series will end with the 13th cane, but that was a lot for him to go through in 9 years or so! (moved from Chapter 1, since this was obviously meant as a review of Chapter 12)
08joanna chapter 1 . 7/26/2008