Reviews for The Doctor's Name
Whyhow chapter 1 . 7/18
But then why did he never use his name in the old series? And why doesn't the Master use his name?
Katescats chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
Hi Just read your story it was good. What is the doctors name?
Kyer chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
I like the basic idea. It's one of the ones I thought of before and one of the most likely, I think.

However, after some thought I don't think The Master knew the Doctor's true name either. If he had, this particular scenario would surely have happened if not during the time the Doctor was exiled on Earth, then surely when Tom Baker was the Doctor or Davison or Colin Baker.

When we first met the Master he was trying to some extent to woo the Doctor over to his side. As each of his attempts were rebuffed, he became more and more angry...and more and more insane. (Not that I think the one actually led to the other.) It seems reasonable to assume that he would have used the Doctor's real name in front of a companion before this.

More likely to me is that either only the Doctor and his namer know his true name (think Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea people where for someone else to know your name was to give them magical power over you), or his real name was 'struck from the books' as punishment for a crime (sort of like the American criminal in The Man With No Country.)

Still, I did heartily enjoy your piece. The Master would certainly take any opportunity to torment his old adversary...I just don't think he knew the name either.

Hopefully more people will start ruminating on the problem. It really is a fascinating part of the show that has until recently been overlooked, imho.
Gilari chapter 1 . 7/16/2008
Hm... now that IS an interesting theory. That the Doctor's name inhabits some of Gallifrey itself. Which would make perfect sense as to why he doens't use it. At first, he was in rebellion against Gallifrey, a rebel. Now, he is trying to forget it, and the price it paid for its arrogance.

Very interesting indeed.