Reviews for To Be a Customer
meldahlie chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
I really liked this on the Sugar Quill - which is why there's a sequel at: s/8372052/1/The-Dream-Shop
!
highkicks chapter 1 . 3/18/2012
I loved this story...I absolutely fell in love with your character Spinner. She is just precious, and I have no doubt that she will be able to accomplish what she sets her mind to :)
Slaidback chapter 1 . 1/23/2012
This one-shot that I just read was one of the best if not the best one-shot i've read so far. It brought up all the required emotions you probably intended-adoration for spinner and so on.

Thanks.
Hamm On Wry chapter 1 . 1/10/2009
An absolutely amazing story. Having spent time in the southern US during the Civil Rights era, I know the dehumanizing (de-elfing?)sting of bigotry. Restaurant owners were happy to take the money from black people, but they served them from the back door with substandard quality meals. If a black family was traveling, they were usually forced to sleep in their cars or camp out. This actually ended up costing businessmen money because black people scrimped and saved, then opened up their own businesses that outshone the people who didn't want to serve them.

A followup chapter would be nice, one where Spinner gets a loan from the goblins and opens up her own shop, hiring Maulkin's elves away from her... and copying her designs in elf fashions... that would really put the bite to her since no witch wants to be seen wearing the same designs as a house elf:)
jdee-mysteries chapter 1 . 11/6/2008
I just loved that story! I'll admit it; I was unofficially in Hermione's SPEW clan. I love that Spinner finally got her lovely robes, especially with Ron's help. 'Mione would be proud!
chocoluvr chapter 1 . 7/18/2008
Good story showing about the changes in a house elf's situation, even though there are still some basically good people who hold on to their old prejudices. It looks like Hermione proved to be a good influence on Ron with him helping Spinner to get dress robes. Ron also knows what money can do to wizards.
Thanfiction chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
This is an excellent piece of work. You create a wonderful original character in Spinner, and you handle an extremely delicate situation with enormous maturity and grace. The house-elves are a very sticky part of the Harry Potter universe, but you present this tangled situation fully without making it at all black and white.

Madam Malkin is presented as the racist that she is without at all being a bad or cruel person, and you make Spinner a character who has a legitimate reason to want freedom without falling back on Simon Legree cliches. It's easy to say that slavery is wrong when you are presenting someone who is bound to mistreatment, but it takes a deft hand to do it on the basis of the simple dignity of being paid for work, and your use of the clothes as what Spinner wants is both symbolic and poignantly simple. She is still a good elf, not a radical or a revolutionary, nothing in her basic nature has changed, and that makes Madam Malkin's complaints all the more clearly ill-thought.

I also like that you don't give it a fairy-tale ending. When Ron went into the shop, I honestly cringed, expecting that he would give some big speech about the folly of her ways and that Madam Malkin would all but join S.P.E.W. at the end of it. This was much better, because it was far more real.

Reminds me of kind, intelligent, good-hearted people who will look you in the face and explain that the Civil Rights movement was "too much" because "it's our fault, we bred them like animals to be simple and servile, but it's in their nature now, and just LOOK at the hip-hop culture, the gangs, the fatherless children, the way their women dress, all the problems...I remember they had so much DIGNITY when I was young, we've just ruined them." Kudos again. Race relations are never simple, and neither is this gem of a ficlet.
butherecomesthefall chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
Interesting...Really interesting. Just a translation of modern racism to the wizarding world...and very well done!