Reviews for Cruelty
Junior VB chapter 1 . 7/20/2016
No está mal.
Not bad.
sunburst223 chapter 1 . 3/15/2015
I do like the fact that you gave Ozai some humanity, but I happen to find his fate well deserved. This man was willing to burn an entire continent to the ground to get what he wanted; believed the genocide of a peaceful people was justified because they were "weak"; abused, banished, and burned his son's face because of his sick "love"; and drove his daughter insane through another display of his "love." You'll have to forgive me if I'm not bursting with sympathy for him.
NeverTooMuchInspiration chapter 1 . 2/25/2014
It is always interesting to ponder what might truly be considered a "fate worse than death." For some, maybe this could've been considered mercy, but to fall so far so fast and be buried completely powerless into some of the lowest tracks of human existence must surely be a "fate worse than death." It is certainly clear from canon that the benefit of making him powerless is more for Aang's sanity than any perceived benefit he may have from continue survival and imprisonment, although maybe it will be mercy eventually. My only confusion here, is that for such a fic where she is barely mentioned with a few words that make it clear that her father is probably the lucky one in this situation, why is Azula the "main character" of this?
Jambee chapter 1 . 8/11/2013
well written little blub about Ozai's feelings on being caputred
peculiarities chapter 1 . 7/16/2013
This gave me a new perspective on things- was letting Ozai live greater punishment than killing him?
I guess he deserved it either way.
Great story, by the way!
Algor Nox chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
Azula is not in the prison, she's in a mental institution.
Yoholic chapter 1 . 6/7/2012
good oneshot
Legend of the Masked Hentai chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
This was a really good story, but in the catagory 'characters' you have it listed as 'Azula'. I think you may have meant 'Ozai'.

- The Masked Hentai
Kendell chapter 1 . 4/2/2011
Intresting story...but I don't think this really belongs under M, there's really nothing that wouldn't be fit to Teen.

Anyway, I actually consider Ozai's fate fitting punishment. Yes, he's a person, and you do a good job of showing it from his perspective, but reguardless of how he sees the situation, Ozai was still a genocidal man who burned his own son's face, drove his daughter to insanity, and tried to complete incernerate all of the Earth Kingdom, including the Fire Nation occupied capital. In my opinion, killing him would've been letting him off easy.

Good story though!
kaindri chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
Wow, this is a short yet very complicated and well written piece. I enjoyed the psychological effort you put into it. Very good job.
X59 chapter 1 . 2/24/2011
one person's view of mercy is another's cruelty
Taiyo-chan chapter 1 . 7/3/2010
I already felt a little bad for Ozai in the canon but this made me feel even more sympathy for him. For some reason, it's not odd imagining him being proud of his son in his own way. Great job!
Indigo1100 chapter 1 . 1/14/2010
The first time I read this, I almost cried.

The second time I read it, I did cry.

This is an absolutely magnificent story. Putting in his childhood, and then contrasting it with him feeling so cold now is wonderful, and the thoughts on Zuko, if it is pride he feels, are amazing (actually, when I watched the finale and Hakoda said he was the proudest father in the world, I immediately said 'and you know who isn't the proudest father in the world? Ozai'). This story really makes you sympathize with a person who is pretty hard to sympathize with, and that is brilliant.

Thank you for your story.

Then, on a slightly different note: although Aang actually did this as the only viable alternative to killing Ozai, if you think about it it really is quite poetic justice. His firebending is what he used to burn his son's face, what he tried to use to kill him, what he used to try and burn down an entire kingdom, and so he loses it. Let the punishment fit the crime.

And on yet another note: I couldn't help wondering, looking at his cell, if suicide had occurred to him as an option. He has cloth that looks like it would rip to strips with little problem, and the bars are right above, and no one would see him until it would be too late.

But anyway, thanks again for the story!
Aristeia chapter 1 . 12/31/2009
I love it when people write about Ozai as an actual human being. He's done terrible things, yes, but there's a reason for his behavior and way of thinking. In a very short amount of time, you managed to reach into his childhood to explain what makes Ozai the man he is.

I find your story completely plausible. This was a man rife with ambition and the need for power and control. Taking away his Bending-his literal power-was a fate worse than death. At least, that's how I always thought Ozai would think of it.

Nicely done! Thank you for this insightful story!
Eman5805 chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
Chilling. Puts a whole 'nother light on what the Avatar did, which is precisely what you were going for.

Fics, and even short ones, of already established characters are fickle fair for me because sometimes I just can't imagine this actually happening just the way the author might say. Not this time.