Reviews for Beyond the Rising Sun
Watermellow chapter 16 . 4/2
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I luv Azula.
Queaky chapter 16 . 2/7
This was absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed how you handled all of the characters. :)
cocoa.choco.sprinkles chapter 16 . 12/3/2013
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS READ ON AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION :P

Well, my dear, I just finished your story in its entirety and felt it's only proper that I review, so here I am. Doesn't sound like much that I share a couple words and comments after reading a story of 119,592 words, but truthfully I'm not big on reviewing even though I often have rather strong opinions. _'

So many Zutara fics start off really strong, exciting, and spicy... and then... they just fizzle out. I was pleasantly surprised to find that your story is no such thing. Unlike many of the others (sad to say), I did not lose interest halfway through or feel that the characters had suddenly crossed into an alternate unbelievably mushy, cuddly universe. I think you transitioned extraordinarily well and covered each turn to the relationship. The liking before you know you like someone in that way, the jealousy, the grappling with trying to figure out or come to terms with what your relationship is (if it even is anything at all), the progression of the relationship itself. You really covered your bases and thanks to that you made a believable and interesting story.

I also feel that this wasn't a story of just pure Zutara fanservice or lofty Avatar ideals. You managed to balance both giving us all a dose of the frivolous as well as philosophical by having moments such as the interaction with Jet as well as the poignant telling of Zuko's mom and Katara's past. I really feel that you did a great job with that. And you managed to be unexpected too. I honestly figured that this being a fan-written story that you would give Zuko and Katara the easy route and make everything perfect and it all works out the first time. But there were disappointments and realities and struggles. You fleshed out Ozai as a character and the whole interaction between him, Ursa, and their past. You didn't just hand things over to Zuko and I think that is an incredibly perceptive point. Zuko works for what he wants. He always has. He wasn't the prodigy. He's indecisive. And he's made some mistakes quite a few times. It seems to me that you had a great grasp on that and were able to continue the story thanks to that. In addition, mentioning the pragmatic things such as running the country, how it wears you down and how it's a heavy burden, and other details about what Aang is doing, etc. I think that really helped to make the story realistic according to the original world. Also, I never got the feeling that the other characters were out of the story because you lacked understanding of them, which is really great. Of course the story focuses on Zuko and Katara, but you write in such a way that I was able to see glimpses of the other character's lives and see that they even HAD a life outside of everything going on with the main two. And that is really fantastic. It makes a story three-dimensional.

I think the way you covered the break-up between Aang and Katara and later on the conversation between Zuko and Aang that was so brilliant. It covered the hurt and the emotions they all would be feeling. It touched on the fact that Katara isn't a perfect good girl (something that I think many writers with their Mary Sue tendencies oft overlook) and it was still exciting for the reader to mull over (a.k.a. you can have a fanboy/girl moment over it) but it still covered the emotions. That was really great. Best take I've read on it so far.

And finally, the epilogue from Azula's point of view. Great. Nice unique touch. I really enjoyed this story. I felt like from the beginning everything that was in the story was there for a reason and contributed to this final end. It had just the right amount of detail while still moving forward at a brisk pace, and a satisfying ending.

Job well done!
CCS
10ShizukaYuukiMistress10 chapter 1 . 10/28/2013
I love this take on ZuKatara!
KJun chapter 16 . 10/22/2013
I love, love, love the way you've written Azula throughout this story.
I'm a big ZuTarian, so I loved that story too.
I'm just a huge sucker for Azula, and even Ozai, redemption stories (though Ozai has to stay in prison).

Kat
TigerStriper chapter 13 . 9/8/2013
People forget that Ursa was never fire lady. She disappeared the same night that Azulon was killed. So she would have only been a princess. Sorry for the nit picking, but when I see frivolous errors I just have to correct.
TigerStriper chapter 2 . 9/8/2013
I liked how you actually made Azula seem mentally ill, rather than criminally ill. I'm used to her insane state to seem more like a crazed female Joker with fire powers rather than grandma with dementia. I felt bad for her and anyone who can make me feel bad for Azula gets extra points in my book. Also I like how you're really working the Kataang thing at the moment although I know that will go away soon enough. The thing about me is I like Kataang as a ship just fine (and it being so solidly Canon doesn't hurt) I just like reading Zutara's more, so I like when Katara falls for Zuko because she likes him more not because she likes Aang less. I don't know if that's how this plays out, but I am excited to find out.
TigerStriper chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
I think the funny thing about Maiko is in all reality Zuko and Mai make a great couple, they are well suited for each other, He's dramatic, temperamental, and wishy washy (sorry for my poor use of language but that is the term I think of when I think of Zuko). While Mai is smart, mellow headed, easily adapting and very aware of the reality of situations. Unfortunately, they make for a really boring love story, it's the kind that someone would actually want to happen in real life (save the banishment and war and choosing sides ect.) but it's just not entertaining to a viewer. Likewise, how Romeo and Juliet weren't necessarily well suited for each other, or rather they didn't know each other long enough to have any idea if they were or weren't, but it makes for a much better tale. That is why I read Zutara, and so far I like your story, but you said the thing about Maiko so I had to interject. (However I do think Mai would make a horrible mother, and in terms of Cannon I still have no idea who I want dear Zu-Zu to end up with.)
engineergirl86 chapter 16 . 7/13/2013
Wow i really liked this story and the encore! It was fantastic! So well done! I really liked it being from Azula's POV and I liked the kids. That was perfect. The names, the fact that the oldest one looked like Zuko and was named after Iroh and Azuala, the twins. omg. perfection! I really liked Azula's character in this too!
engineergirl86 chapter 12 . 7/8/2013
Great chapter again, I wish Ursa could be ok though. This is so sad but very well written!
engineergirl86 chapter 11 . 7/7/2013
Crap this is good. I am an avid Zutarian, but I must admit I also have a guilty pleasure for Jetara. Though I don't love it near as much as Zutara. But gosh you write it so well I am loving the bantering going on between Jet and Katara, but I am still rooting for Zuko. Excellent job. You are a phenomenal writer.
engineergirl86 chapter 9 . 7/7/2013
wow awesome! Jet's back. this should be interesting
engineergirl86 chapter 8 . 7/7/2013
awwwwwwww omg! so perfect!
engineergirl86 chapter 5 . 7/6/2013
wow that was intense
engineergirl86 chapter 3 . 7/5/2013
Yes! Bye Mai lol :) Loving this! Go Zutara. That was just perfect.