Reviews for Fulfilling Obligations
uchiha.s chapter 49 . 1/6
I JUST SAW THAT YOU UPDATED THIS!

*screams*

I'm a little braindead right now so I can't guarantee this will be coherent, but, in no particular order:
1) I love salt-and-pepper-haired Harry...NEARLY as much as Hermione clearly does...
2) I love how unsure they both still are. I mean, they're such dorks, but it's so them.
3) I have always loved that Harry didn't develop feelings for Hermione until later, because it feels very real, and way more plausible. And that it's giving them both anxiety now feels very real too.
4) THE LETTER. EMOTIONS. GAH. I went back and re-read your oneshot, The Letter, and swooned. I laughed imagining Harry reading through that letter. Hermione's so intense, and especially as he didn't have feelings for her at the time, it's a bit of a risk for her - she's revealing an iteration of herself that he wasn't in love with (or at least, not consciously).
5) The UST! Actually, this was one way you can see how much they both have changed. Contrasting Harry's behavior when they first slept together (impulsive and risky) with now (tempered and hesitant), you really get a feel for how much he's been hurt by all of his grief. He's not the twelve year old boy she fell in love with, he's not the twenty-something man she first slept with - this is a different Harry, and she loves this 'version' of him too.
6) Your dialogue is always so on the mark. It always feels real.

Thank you for writing this wonderful, wonderful piece. I can't wait for the next update, as always.
redstarpuppy chapter 49 . 1/2
Oh my god! That ending! I’m almost mad at you for ending like that, considering the long wait that is certain to follow! So happy for Harry and Hermione, but also sad for Ron. To go from discovering them to getting imperio’d? That’s rough.

I do hope the next update comes relatively soon!
Lizzie1211 chapter 49 . 12/31/2017
I just got into this fandom & was lucky to catch your story when you updated it recently. It really intrigued me & kept me hitting the next button. I’m late to the fandom & I know J.K. Rowling has said she may have made a mistake in pairing Ron & Hermione in the end. I think you may have started writing this before she said that, but it seems in line with how you can still stay true to most of her canon & heading to the Harry & Hermione pairing, which I agree, fits the characters better. You’ve created such a great storyline for them. You’ve even redeemed Ginny for me. :) I know you said the update will be awhile so you can firm up the story/plot etc, plus real life and all. I hope it’s sooner rather than later & am glad I found it near the end because I’m excited to see what you have in store for them. But I will wait eagerly for whenever you are able to update. Thanks!
The Seamonkey chapter 49 . 12/17/2017
Okay.

Phew.

Wow.

This story has consumed my last three days. One of my housemates found me on the couch Friday night, glued to my phone, and she asked me what I was doing and I shrieked, “I FOUND THE BEST HARRY POTTER FANFICTION EVER AND I CAN’T STOP READING IT IT’S SO GOOD I CAN’T HANDLE IT JULIA!” And she called me adorable and made me dinner so I didn’t have to get up off the couch to stop reading.

I am in awe of you. This is brilliant. I must admit, seeing the author’s notes at the top of so many chapters being like ‘Sorry it’s been a year or two!’ makes me kinda nervous for finishing this, because who knows how long I’m gonna have to wait now that I’ve blasted through the entire thing, but I can also totally empathize, because I used to take months and sometimes years between updates on my big story, ‘Stupid’. I just had to wait for inspiration to strike. So I get it. Life gets in the way. It’s nervous-making, but I get it. :)

I’m going to try to put my thoughts together for you.

You have an excellent sense of time-jumping. When you allow yourself to jump ahead years in the timeline between chapters, it always made sense and the transitions never felt forced or awkward. That’s quite an accomplishment. Having an instinct of what to show us versus what not to show us is a mark of a great writer.

I loved Ginny. And that’s saying something, because I hate book-Ginny. I loved her relationship with Harry. And that’s saying something, because good god do I hate her book-relationship with Harry. You made her warm, funny, confident without being self-important, and endearing, and her character matured over the years in a way that made perfect sense. Whenever she was cooler with Harry, I didn’t resent her for it. How could I? And - SPOILERS FOR WEIRD SOULS READING REVIEWS BEFORE READING THE STORY - I’m glad she knew about the affair. I would have judged her had she not figured it out. And her reaction is perfect. You made me CRY at the end there. And I am so used to hating Ginny.

The Dolohov stuff. It’s so rare to find a romance/angst-centred story with actual plot going on (lord knows mine suffered from that lack), and I enjoy it a lot. It brings a wonderful amount of underlying tension that laces throughout the story in a way that makes the world feel so much richer and deeper. Really well done with this. And I’m super suspicious of Mitch being Imperius’d and I’m blazing with curiosity about Caius who maybe works in the Department of Mysteries or maybe just broke in there and I’m terrified and SO EXCITED about Ron now even though I don’t want bad things to happen to him but I think you know what I mean obviously because OH MY GOD.

I appreciate that the kids are well realized. Actually, everyone is well-realized, which is incredible, but I’m glad the kids are, particularly. I loved the recent scene with Scorpius and Rose and Al, it was really lovely. I hope they’re the next golden trio, as happens in so many fanfictions.

I will admit, Ron Apparating into the living room to witness that was a little over-dramatic, but I’m guilty of dramatic timing too, so what the hell? The conversation between the three of them afterwards was spot-on. Totally realistic.

I am so stoked to see where all of this goes. Maybe it’ll be a couple of years before I get to see it; that’s okay though. That just means I’m going to have to read the whole thing over again in a couple of years to refresh myself, and I’ll get to experience this wonderful, brilliant, breathtaking, heartwarming, heartbreaking story all over again.

See you when we see you. :) And thank you, again, for bringing this to us.

~ The Seamonkey
The Seamonkey chapter 48 . 12/17/2017
“And as she waved, an image pressed itself unbidden into his mind, and he could suddenly see a red-haired girl, barely ten, half laughing and half crying as she ran to keep up with a scarlet train.”

CRYING SO HARD RIGHT NOW
The Seamonkey chapter 44 . 12/16/2017
This chapter got me through a full day of TWO different family Hanukkah’s with in-laws.

The heartsore. The aching. I love it. I’m so sad for everyone and yet...of course, everything happening here is inevitable. Of course Ron and Hermione’s marriage would deteriorate and eventually fall apart. How could it go any other way?

I’m about to go watch The Last Jedi which just came out yesterday AND YET I CAN’T PUT THIS DOWN. If that isn’t a glowing review, what is?
teachergirl chapter 4 . 12/16/2017
Snape did not try to save Lily AND HER FAMILY. His intention was to save Lily. He told Dumbledore he didn't care if James and Harry died. Snape was not a good guy. He was obsessed with Lily; he did not love her. That scene in the movie of him crying over her dead body does not exist in canon. He was a total jerk.
The Seamonkey chapter 42 . 12/16/2017
Okay I’m slowing down...not because it’s getting less good (it’s getting better) or because I’m losing interest (I delayed getting up off the couch to go to the bathroom for two hours reading this last night because I didn’t want to put it down), but because I’m on Chapter 42 of 49 and I know I’m getting closer to the end. I don’t want to get to the end yet.

This is EXACTLY my kind of HP story. Good lord, I’ve been searching for this for YEARS. A canon-compliant post-war HHr that feels absolutely realistic and true to the relationships and characters? I’m actually jealous. (I can’t help comparing this to my own mostly-canon-compliant post-war HHr that I wrote eight years ago and am still kinda proud of. It’s pretty angsty, heh - I wrote it in my late teens while going through teenage heartache and my parents’ divorce. But you might actually enjoy it. Some of the similarities between yours and mine are striking - which is part of why I’m SO EXCITED TO HAVE FOUND YOU!)

I can’t begin to describe how happy this story makes me. Thank you for being so awesome.

Going back to reading now.
done chapter 41 . 12/15/2017
I can't keep reading this I'm sorry
can't see a happy ending and I already had seven books for that
The Seamonkey chapter 33 . 12/15/2017
HOLY SHIT I AM SO ENGROSSED IN THIS K CAN’T BELIEVE THEY JUST DID THAT AHHHHHHH I AM SO HAPPY AND ANGSTY AT THE SAME TIME
The Seamonkey chapter 31 . 12/15/2017
Holy shit I’ve been devouring this story ALL DAY. I was at work and reading it on my phone. (Don’t tell my supervisor.)

Just had to leave a review mid-read to let you know how hard I’m fangirling over this right now. (To be honest, I had the thought, ‘I should leave a review saying how awesome this is!’ like, fifteen chapters ago, and I kept going, ‘Okay I’ll take a break after the next one.’ ‘Okay, the next one.’ ‘Okay, at SOME point I’ll stop to leave one.’ ‘Okay the next one for SURE.’)

I’m HOOKED. I’m RIVETED. I’m going to KEEP READING NOW.

Thank you for writing this.
Gabilian chapter 49 . 12/15/2017
Ironically enough, I was thinking about this story a few weeks ago. I had read it years ago on the now defunct Portkey site, but I could not remember the name of it. I actually spent some time trying to find it, but gave up after awhile. Thus I was delighted to stumble across it a few days ago. I reread the whole thing, as I knew I had forgotten most of it, given that the story is close to 10 years old (and yes, you must serve several detentions for your slow updating).

The Hogwarts section of the story fairly standard but is nice enough, but it really takes off after they leave school. I love how all of the main characters are fully developed, with their positives and negatives. Even Ginny, who can be viewed as Hermione's rival, comes through nicely, and her death really hits the reader hard. So nice to read a story with no bashing. Your time jumps worked well, and the unbreakable bond between Harry and Hermione is beautiful to follow, through all the ups and the downs.

My only real criticisms would be that Harry appears to be a lousy auror (or the department itself is incompetent). Sending only three aurors to arrest Dolohov when they had no idea as to how many people were in the cabin. Terribly incompetent. The dementor scene also made little sense from a law enforcement point of view. But these are minor points in an otherwise excellent tale.

You have also done an excellent job with all of the next generation, and I feel like I really know them. Harry and Rose's relationship especially touches me, and I wish that we could see more of that. As a father, I can fully understand the anguish Harry must have felt at having to deny his own daughter. But all of the children are likeable and realistic.

With you so close to the finish line, I hope you can complete the story fairly quickly. The biggest black mark against the story is the enormous delays in updating, which basically ruins the reading experience for the reader, at least until it is finally completed. This is such an excellent work of fanfiction that is demands to be completed. G.
Cast Some Light chapter 49 . 12/15/2017
So I randomly decided to re-read this fic a few days ago and I was on chapter 19 or something when I got the notification that you updated! AMAZING, HOW DID YOU KNOW? I feel like this is one of those fics I'm gonna read often, just because I'm happy it exists, and when it updates it's just a lovely little treat :)

Truly I can't say how much I love this chapter, and this story in general. I don't know how you managed it, but a few chapters ago, my ass was sitting here shedding ACTUAL TEARS (no joke) over Harry/Ginny (Harry/Ginny! A pairing I have never ever ever liked) and now here I am grinning like an idiot over Harry/Hermione. IT WAS SO PERFECT. Just the perfect blend of awkwardness and giddiness and nervousness and finally relief and quiet determination. It's such a difficult, complex situation you put them in but you hit every layer of it perfectly. I also love how they have to step up and put their money where their mouths are with Ron almost immediately, and Harry DELIVERS. He just! Grabs her hand and is all I'M SORRY BUT THIS IS HAPPENING. Incredible. And I really do feel for Ron at the end, and would LOVE for some Ron/Luna scenes because a)I've always loved that pairing and b)it would be nice to see him happy!

Thank you so much for updating, I love this fic so so much!
I'm always mad at him chapter 42 . 12/13/2017
Wow. You're writing is so captivating that it tugged my heartstrings. Seriously, well done.
I'm always mad at him chapter 40 . 12/13/2017
I adore this chapter. Okay, I have to admit that I started at chapter 49 when you updated and couldn't remember anything about this story. So I've been binge reading this and honestly don't remember ever having read a single word of it. It's fantastic. I love the exchange between Harry and Hermione about who is in attendance the best. I do feel that I should point out that I believe you had Luna dating Rolf way back at Hermione's wedding and yet introduced him here as a first date yet to happen. Someone else may have mentioned that... it's not that big of a deal.