Reviews for The Spare Princess
pottohipamus chapter 7 . 7/10
Loved it!
Although, I kept waiting for the ax to fall on poor Evangeline, pushing Macnair over the edge, so bless you for allowing the man dimensions.
We stand victorious chapter 7 . 4/18/2014
Wow, what a fantastic story. I really enjoyed reading it, and I thought that the characters of Walden and Evangeline were well-thought out and convincingly written. I confess, I didn't get the too-sweet tea thing into I saw one of your reviewers spell it out, my initial thought when I read it was that Evangeline had been planning the poisoning for a long time before hand and had been spiking Walden's tea with the antidote (or maybe with the poison itself in small doses so he'd build up an immunity) in order to save him from it when she killed her grandfather. I guess this makes her seem a bit more cold-blooded than the love potion does though, and I think I prefer that version :) Thanks for such a good story!
i ish shoopuf chapter 7 . 10/17/2013
I knew something was wrong with the tea, but I thought it was poison from the Prince patriarch that caused infertility. How wrong I was.

The story was probably good, but I suffered under my disbelief, which I could not suspend. Sorry about that, I am.
Rosa Mundi chapter 7 . 5/28/2013
Wow. I didn't know it was possible for someone to make me like Walden MacNair. Now, along with your other reviewers, I hope she survives childbirth and Clan MacNair goes on.
ChocolateChipFudgeyCookie chapter 7 . 5/20/2013
I have to admit, I was a bit dense with the tea thing but thankfully one of your reviewers spelled it out, and it struck me what an utter genius you are. I think this might be one my favourite lesser used character stories ever! I love Evangeline and her characterisation, how she had such strength despite the constant accusations of her weakness. I can't really bring myself to think badly of her for giving Macnair the amortentia, and it boggles the mind to think that she had been planning this from the beginning. It was beautifully crafted and the ending was perfect, definitely one to re-read again and again. Thank you for writing this!
MeAmJeni chapter 7 . 1/21/2013
You have a way with words I believe! And I do love this. Some of my favorite bits- 'a too-handsome man of no name, mixed blood, and uncertain character'...'the liquid wicked away into the carpet'...'Most women seemed the same size to Walden: smaller'...'seemed to shine from the hairline fractures'...'The girl's grey-pink lips'...'heavy-handed, parchment-ripping print'...'shoulders curled in under the too-wide grins'...'Evangeline's eyes were nailed down to the floor'...'a matte coal black that he almost expected to rub off on his hands when he touched it'...'a charcoal scribble across her face and shoulders'...'the tanned, scarred, corded length of his arm'...'his little shadow swan'...'a tangle of black hair and evergreen silk on the ugly wood floor'...'steel and venom voice'...'They had tossed away a priceless gem because her setting was bent'...'Evangeline's face was crossed with some sad, stony expression; she looked like some angelic agent of divine retribution'...'a glittering crystal goblet, a blood garnet of red wine'...'her ink blue eyes'...'a birdlike little talon of an old woman'...
There is something graceful about the first paragraph of Chapter Six, it somehow gives the idea of a dance almost, one large circle separating to form two smaller circles, and then one of those separating again...
I found the tea a nice touch.
Also, you gotta love Elliot Prince's love for his daughter and how violently protective he could be. And the same violent protectiveness in Walden Macnair then...just can't NOT love that.
And I LOVED the amortentia bit!
Your chapter titles are great too… 'A Kitten for the Manticore' (I think this is great, especially when you later on say the kitten and her manticore champion...love it) 'The Thorn Price' (this title has to be my favorite) 'The Unexpected Champion' (though honestly I like that IDEA much better than the actual words) 'The Shade in the Corner' (beautiful and a little mysterious somehow) 'The Gutter Rat and the Black Swan' (this one I mostly like because of the contrast) 'The End' (clever because it is not! And somehow I like that) 'Lesser Evils' (because that is just what it was)
So, lovely story! Now you don't need to wonder why I'm favoriting it :)
Intelligensia chapter 6 . 6/16/2012
This is my favorite out of all you stories, and I've been reading a lot.

IZA
Miss Mercury101 chapter 7 . 5/9/2012
Simply fantastic. I thought it was rather sweet how Macnair fell in love with Evangeline from the moment he saw her.
iluvluna1456 chapter 7 . 7/25/2011
This is really the best ending for this story.
Cicada with Pen chapter 6 . 7/22/2011
This is amazing. I can't wait to read the rest of it.
CHITTLE0915 chapter 7 . 6/28/2011
so so so good
ParvisSira chapter 7 . 6/28/2011
I ADORED this story.

Though I have to admit that I'm with the other reviewers who took a little bit of time to get the tea. At first I thought that her the grandfather was causing her barrneness through the tea by giving her teapot...but then after I re-read it I got it. And I loved the story even more.

I adore the fact that he actually loved her and loved her from the start. And I loved the fact that he talked about the point of pureblood lines and loyalty-oh so much loyalty. This is perhaps the best story I have ever read about Walden MacNair. (And goodness, I would love to hear more about the end. I certainly hope she doesn't die in childbirth and that the MacNair line did survive (after the epilogue of doom.))

Thank you so much for writing it. Thank you so much for showing a strong true woman who knew what she wanted and was going to do everything she could to get it and then found out-blessedly-that she had a champion in her corner. Thank you for a delightfully self-aware portrayal of a man most people think of as a torturer alone.

Thank you for the absolute amazingness that is this story.
Owlbait chapter 1 . 2/11/2011
Fascinating beginning, I like the cast of characters. Looking forward to see where it goes.
totaltheTERRIER chapter 7 . 1/20/2011
WOW haha don't worry about heavy-handedness, I didn't get it till I saw your comment. Once I went back I could see it though; I love things like that, that make you go through and read them again.

This is such a great story-clever and sweet and terrible. I never thought much of Macnair as a character, but you've written him in such a new light that I can really emphasize with him and see how he came to be a Death Eater, yet still retain his humanity.

The last part was pretty unexpected (with the Prince family and all) but I can see how it would end like that. I hope she and Macnair have many babies together :-)
NS chapter 7 . 12/25/2010
That was AMAZING! A very clever and somehow sweet story despite the gore and harshness. It really was like a fairytale or a rather twisted monarchy story.

I also loved that you mentioned Snape. Aw, my baby! His whole family seems to be cursed, poor thing.

Your final note actually did help me realize what should have been obvious from the start: love potion. I'm glad you brought attention to it or I wouldn't have realized that Macnair always kind of loved Evangeline, even before the love potion.

Thank you so much for writing!

Happy Holidays!