Reviews for Respect
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
Wow...reading your last author note definitely got me thinking about this fic. This is a deep fic to start off. I'm a fan of TMNT (remembering my youth when I watched the cartoon...) and I agree with what Raphael has to say about respect and who he respects and why he does. I love it that he is still watching his family over from your point of view (well, it can also be my point of view as well). I did manage to find a few grammatical errors here:
I should have shown it to the sooner.
-'I should have shown it to them sooner (left out the m in them)
You also missed a period towards the end of the fic between the words 'wait' and 'While'
Other than that, this fic was nicely well written; great job on it! :)
persevera chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
"After eighteen years with the same people you start to respect them. Either that or you want to kill them."
Great perspective.
I thought this was really good and introspective but not angsty, until I got to "And yet I sit here..."
Death changes everything.
I wasn't on the site yet when it was written so I have an excuse. But a good, short, insightful piece should have had more than seven reviews (and 9 favs? Hmmm)
The Death Frisbee chapter 1 . 7/24/2012
I'll get to a longer fic when not at work, but I do try to return unsolicited reviews, all the same.

You've got a good, consistent tone throughout, philosophical without being overly maudlin. I got the idea of this - that Raph was narrating this from beyond the grave - and the length is good, as if it turned into a Lovely Bones-length piece, you would have lost me there.

I liked the Respect paragraph in particular: A good, crisp way of characterizing in Raphael's POV without overwriting it or making him seem suddenly far too sentimental about his comrades.

I was of the Ninja Turtles era as well but didn't watch it very often, so my canon knowledge is limited to "Raphael: Why he so angry?" and "He's the one with the two short swords," haha. All the same, I think it's conceivable from the character that he'd be less angry from the Other Side, and particularly liked that he saw himself in Leonardo.

I also liked the phrase at the start about Raphael not having a predefined place - it explains a lot of his anger as opposed to Leo the leader, Don the inventor, and Mike the slacker. It adds a nice depth to the charact

One non-grammatical critique: "gift it out" isn't ungrammatical, but it hit my "awkward' button. I think that phrase could read a little more smoothly.

SPAG (SPelling And Grammar) below. Hope this helps!

***

SPAG:

what Master Splinter thought was best (caps Splinter)
place of an ant versus the place of a wise man (missing "a")
predefined place for me, and unlike my brothers, I wasn't
Foot Clan should be capitalized thus, I'm pretty sure, since it's a proper name in its entirety
Numb and foggy (no comma necessary)
dodge a kick or parry a sword, but you cannot deflect
ironic; only in separation
MillionDollarNinja chapter 1 . 4/13/2010
this was good i liked it :)
Agent66 chapter 1 . 4/10/2010
This actually brought a tear to my eye. Very beautifully written.
KameTerra chapter 1 . 7/27/2008
Ah, I can't help but like anything you write. :) This is insightful, and I like the way it built up to what the actual scenario was. I did get that Raph was, in essence, dead. At least. The slightly detached tone rather reminded me of the book 'The Lovely Bones'. I liked that you ended it with Raph's hope that he would get to speak with his family again-it would be comforting to them if they could know he was waiting. It is tempting with fics like this to focus on the grief of the family members. Which is fine if that is what the fic is about. But you managed to stay right on topic the way you wrote this, while still bringing the picture across. In my head, between the words you wrote, I still see the grief.

Good job!

KameTerra
Nineteenth Souljah chapter 1 . 7/27/2008
This 'strange little venture' of yours had been a great read. "Don't wait until it's too late" - might just be a suitable quote for this piece. Ahh, insomnia - you gotta respect the inspiration it brings...well, sometimes. _

The last line was particularly heart-tugging.

Thanks for sharing!
54Viruses chapter 1 . 7/27/2008
Wow, I think this is the first time the angst has come from the dead turtle without a death scene at the end. Nice oneshot.
sugarcookie1234 chapter 1 . 7/27/2008
I really like the story but i have one question. Is raph dieing or something