Reviews for His Mother's Son
lady forrest chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
For your very first attempt in writing fanfiction I thought it was great! You've given the Captain depth and I even felt sorry for him. A seasoned soldier struggling to give up on his one and only love. A tragic love story. Wow! Some parts made me cry too. Looking forward to reading your other stories.
meowthecat chapter 1 . 9/15/2009
I remember when Captain went on his aristeia of sorts. One of the saddest parts of the movie. V_V

Wish I could write more, but I'm out of time. Really good fic, and a great insight into the Captain's and Astinos's relationship.
8yume chapter 1 . 1/1/2009
that part of the movie almost brought me to tears. they make u fall in love with a character in a movie then they kill em.
MaggotAngel chapter 1 . 12/7/2008
That was a wonderful sad story. Throughout the whole movie you believe that the Captain doesn't love his son, but you can see it's there, especially after Astinos dies.
Gaslight chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
Thank you for writing this. I've actually been looking for some Captain fic and have found very, very little of note on this site and others. I was psyched that you let me know about your story.

I admit that I didn't overthink 300 too much - it didn't seem to beg for analysis LOL - but you've really taken Captain and created a man who loved too deeply and too well. (You also put that unfortunately over-acted rage into context.)

I think my favorite part was the section about his letter and not being able to find it again after her death. It was very poignant, showing how vulnerable one can be in grief. He doubted and then he consoled himself with a pleasing scenario. It did make me wonder if the bottomless affection was reciprocated on her part!

But, oddly, towards the end when his second marriage with Ingwe is described, the love Captain had for Astinia seems to become dangerously all-encompassing and selfish, harmful to both himself and to his new wife and children (who become collateral damage to his tragedy). In the end, I felt that Astinia was definitely the stronger half.

There were several typos which can be easily corrected by a beta. I'm happy to help you with that! :-) This was a GREAT first fic and I do hope you write more in this fandom and others!