Reviews for Sa Bum Nim
Nicole chapter 1 . 5/27
Awhah, This is really beautiful, and to be honest almost made me cry XD
KJHWCCS chapter 1 . 12/6/2012
This is just the most perfect depiction of their meeting, poigant, filled with distrust and uncertainty, then the delicate and wonderful blossoming of their relationship to finish it off. Your charaterisation was flawless. I totally adored it.

"It was then that the boy's words hit Baek, and the pieces connected like a lightning flash."

Oh God, this broke me.

"With a stern face, uncannily resembling that of Baek's, Hwoarang embarked on the set of twenty-nine moves of Hwa-Rang just as the King of Iron Fist Tournament 3 commenced."

Most perfect ending line ever. Seriously. Amazing work.
Lunar-Shadow-of-The-Nosferatu chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
I was actually on the verge of tears when reading this, and the fact that I was listening to "Your Guardian Angel" by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus while I read it didn't help. But the song fits perfectly to everything playing out in this story.

My rant will end here, and I will comment on this:

I won't lie, this fic is absolutely amazing. It's definitely one of your best (well, of the ones I've read so far *sweatdrop*) and I believe I should open a dictionary and try to find new words that are good enough to describe your stories XD

This, I think, should be the real way these two met. I mean, it's such a believable scenario. Hwoarang's trouble on the streets had to start somewhere, and how the trouble brought them together. You wrote it so well D

It makes me smile when Baek offers to teach him, without charging him. He sees the talent that is there, and wants him to learn more. I think this fic marks a perfect beginning in their relationship, as I watch how strong it is within the games. Baek is almost like hia father. Baek's ending in 6 breaks my heart though, and my heart completely shatters further when Hwoarang calls out for him :(

Anyway, another great story! D

That quickly found a place in my favourites, alongside your other fics too D
ImagineAsian chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
Wow, I'm speechless. Hopefully I don't sound like a wimp, but I almost teared up watching this. Mostly because of the part with Hwoarang's fight and Baek helping him. Their interactions were bittersweet.

I really like your interpretation of how they met. It can be deemed canon! xDD

Everytime Hwoarang retorted back to Baek's question, I couldn't help but giggle. At the same time, I wanted to smack him because he sounded so disrespectful! Bad Hwoarang bad, but the kid had a tough life :(

I love love love this fic. So going into my faves. Good job Salysha! XD
hplo chapter 1 . 3/27/2010
There is a rawness and viscerlity to this piece. It is my favourite of your work so far. I loved that rawness from your deceptively simple writing style, it was the sweat of the muscular back and for that I could sense the hardwork of Hwoarang and Baek within and also the hardwork of the author. Sublime piece of work that takes that level of raw intimacy that you write so well with mandolin fingers and intergrates it in a form of hard-edged realism laced with the intimacy of a master pupil relationship.

PumpkinElf chapter 1 . 3/4/2010

im glad you decided to name the pattern at the end :) its the one i have to learn next hehe :P

so faved btw
Vanessa Dragunova chapter 1 . 8/31/2009
Your fic should be the official version of how Hwoarang and Baek meet, I mean it.

Every word is original, clever, emotive; I also have to say that I've never read before such a perfect portrayal of Baek Doo San like yours.

I love your talent, you stories are always beyond comparison.

Beautiful story and marvelous ending! Though it's not enough to describe your work.

Here you go your surprise.

Write more soon, please!
Crimson-Hybrid chapter 1 . 8/15/2009
... Never in my life would I be able to write a piece such as this. The way your words melded together in a sentence is amazing. From the very moment my eyes took in the first sentence, I was thrust into a world not known by many, and it usualy takes a lot of my focus to be able to produce a movie in my mind's eye; I was in a bus, to say the least. Absolutely wonderful, and so was your other work, The Meaning of Pain. Your skill is in calibre with professionals. I admire your talent. Well done is an understatement. I will be waiting for more of your fantastic works.
xCaTTeHx chapter 1 . 5/30/2009
I loved this. I mean really, really loved it.

It's good to read a story that gives so much background information about the two. A lot of people, I've noticed, make it obvious that they're just making random guesses, but you did really well in making it look like fact.

It's also impressive that you know so much about the language and history of Korea! You've obviously been doing your research D A question... Do you know how to correctly pronounce 'Baek'? It's been driving me a little crazy, I'll be honest! Is it like the 'ae' in 'Taekwando'? Or something completely different?

ANYWAY, back to the actual review (haha oops). I particularly liked the part where Baek Doo San is trying to make Hwoarang feel safe. It conjured up an image for me of a man trying to comunicate with and calm a frightened animal, it was awesome D I envy his patience!

Good job, I'll definately be reading more of your work.
Darial Goldscythe Kuznetsova chapter 1 . 4/8/2009
This was just sweet. I don't know what else to say. I just loved this. I might bug my friend to read this too.
lazyguy90 chapter 1 . 3/19/2009
Wow... Great story, nice work. Keep it up.
HappyMe-O chapter 1 . 12/11/2008
I really like this story it has a lot of meanning to it. I mostly like the end the best. Is like almsot ends in a question there... will there eb a sequell? o.o It was relay good! GOOD JOB!
ShiniBarton chapter 1 . 8/19/2008
Hey, that wasn't bad! *nods* And you did Hwo well too; he's got a lot of pride and you put it all in there. I like it!

(Wow, this is like the first non-yaoi story I've read in a long time lol)

A Road Unturning chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
You really have a feel for character and creating a believable yet poigant concept. Cleverly written, with some really nice touches-the interaction and very IC banter between Baek and Hwo for one thing- and this was a very readable, good piece of work.

It's a pleasure to read something that maturely fleshes out character's natural relations without having them jump on each other like horny bunnies. Not that those type of fics aren't good as well, but theres a time and place, and frankly-sometimes something that is platonic and fatherly like this makes a refreshing change.

I really liked it-great work.
riesling chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
I loved this story for so many reasons. There was a precise simplicity that was underlying every detail and it only helped make everything you wrote seem more real. But there was also a complexity that was hidden in the details of Hwoarang's growing relationship with his instructor that was addicting and absolutely thoughtful. I can tell that you spent a good deal of time with this story and I want to thank you for that; you told this story exceptionally. I will look forward to reading more from you in the future.