Reviews for The Best Medicine
Simply Kiwi chapter 1 . 8/13/2008
Holy freaking crap.

That was bloody brilliant! ...No pun intended, of course.

Seriously, though. That was so sick and twisted.

Amazing.

Ah, I love that Joker.
SaJi chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
One must agree with you about 'the little things'. )

Lovely littlie story, very in character and oh so very nice to read.

Poor little duckling.
Evil-Irish-Wolf chapter 1 . 7/29/2008
I adore the way that you've written the Joker. I was giggling up a fit every time he called them his ducklings. I think that it's extremely in character. You definitely portrayed him well, one of the best I've seen actually. I loved the concept. I always thought it was funny that he'd 'fixed' the laughter part on the truck. Now I'll think about this next time I see it. Genius! Lovely job!
moonservant chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
It's an interesting concept. I never thought about why it read "Slaughter" instead of laughter, except that he is a crazed murderer who enjoys laughter so there was some irony and wordplay. That being said, I was not fond of your Joker. You were almost there, but not quite. I thought the dialogue was good, the humor was on the spot, dark but not too dark, but the duckling thing just marred it. He seemed too fond, too affectionate with his henchmen. While they do act like ducklings, giving them nicknames makes it look like he cares, and as the movie assured us, and you reitterate, he doesn't give a ** whether they live or die. It seems like that would not be a big deal, artistic license and all which I can appreciate, but it did not fit. I'm sorry if this seems brutal. I'm only trying to help for later reference.
ohbernthal chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
I must say, I absolutly love your writing! It's very descriptive and even poetic at points. And you captured the Joker's character perfecly. Great work!

Shadeslayer
Jericho chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
Cool concept, but your Joker seems a little...off. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's decently depicted and all, but I just can't see him calling his men "ducklings" over and over (although the metaphor IS appreciated). By doing so, you make him seem almost matronly, and I'm sure that's not the effect you were going for. Your dialogue for him wasn't as profound as the movie's, either, but maybe that's just me. By quoting the movie (even if it WAS a little changed), it almost seemed like you weren't entirely trying, although I did like how you gave an explanation for why the truck read "Slaughter is the best medicine" on the side. I guess I'm only being so critical since you've seen the movie multiple times...forgive me for being so brutally honest. I'm really just trying to help for future stories, because I think you've got the potential to write a great Joker. It just needs a little bit of tweaking, and then you're definitely there. Cheers. :)
4eversmile chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
Very good, you really got the Joker in character! I hope you write another fanfiction starring the Joker, because this one was very very entertaining.
Kinpaginpa chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
This was so good! I've read a few fanfics already with the Joker in them, but you've definitely nailed down his character the best. While I read what he was saying, I could practically hear Heath Ledger talking and licking his lips. I love how you showed the meanings behind those small details in the movie. When I saw the burning fire truck, it screamed the Joker, and I also noticed the 'S' painted on the truck, but I never saw what it said. This was really great, and I hope you write more stuff soon!

“Bring him over, already. I promise I won’t bite.” His grin widens and he raises his hand in a mock salute. “Scout’s honor,” he promises, and another burst of laughter rips through him. XD
Emily chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
This is seriously one of the best DK fics I've ever read :) Amazing.
Httw chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
Ha, that was a funny one-shot. I'm enjoying seeing how each person here presents the Joker. To each, his/her own, and I must say it's all rather fun!
Amy chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
Perfect! You nailed the Joker's character. I liked how you made a story out of the smaller details too. I thought the slogan was priceless when I saw the movie, and that the fire truck was one fire. Like you said, it's the little details that really made the Joker pop. I hope to see more stories from you!
alocin chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
I've seen it twice and hadn't noticed the S there; I thought the laughter and fairground motif was great enough but that just makes it stunning! Your behind-the-scenes moment there is great, especially the duckling terminology. All following mummy duck, quack quack quack!