Reviews for Penance
Aceina chapter 1 . 4/4
the ending does nothing to resolve the issue xena still needs to be dead for some reason to bring peace to 40,000 souls who she is not to blame for the death of (the idiots who atacked her are to blame)
EnnA YdaliM chapter 1 . 2/17/2014
What a story!
My tears just won't stop flowing while I was reading it...
Thanks for writng such a wonderful piece!
ivo1617 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
This was an interesting post-FIN take. It was quite a punishment for Xena to have to just stand there and watch what happened to Gabrielle. One hundred Romans would not have been a problem for the great Xena.

However, it was good to see that Gabrielle was able to move on somewhat. It was not particularly fair to blame Xena since she would have done the same thing as well. Actually she did something similar in One Against an Army - her life with Xena in exchange for the welfare of a bunch of strangers. (Ironically in that same episode Xena defeated a group of soldiers that was probably larger.) The only difference is that there were no crazy conditions about Gabby having to die and having to stay dead. It was also nice to see that Gabby made some new friends.

Though I am still not certain of Gabby's state of mind at the end of the story. Was fighting to her death the only way to ensure that the Elisians would make it to safety? If she was simply buying them time, couldn't she have tried to escape after fighting for a while? Or was she suicidal after losing so many loved ones?

I would have to disagree with you about blaming Xena for dying or not letting Gabrielle dump the ashes. Leaving those souls to dry would have been really out of place after six seasons of being a hero and risking her life for strangers. Gabrielle (or Xena) was facing the prospect of being left alone in pretty much every episode.

Ironically, the bit with the 40,000 souls and the ashes might be the only thing that was not out of place in FIN. There was the other crazy bit of the deal about Xena having to die in order to defeat Yodoshi. Xena has defeated numerous gods, angels, demons, and monsters so what's so special about him? Then it really seemed that Xena gave up on life - with all the times she has cheated death, one would think that Xena would have tried to get out of it again. (Now this is something that Gabrielle should be mad about.)

Then the whole story seemed out of place. There was no previous indication that Xena was ever in Japan so if the show got cancelled 20 episodes into season 6 (that would have been so nice), no one would be wondering about what happened in Japan after Xena was there. Starting a brand new story to conclude the show seems a bit much with all the fans anticipating how things will end between Xena and Gabrielle. Then after six seasons of Xena providing most of the muscle she's asking about what Gabrielle would do?

The ending of your story provides a good deal of mystery. What is it that Xena needs help with? It's a safe bet that she will include Gabrielle in her plans this time, though I still doubt she will bring Gabrielle along against that army. Is Xena going to tell Gabby about dumping the ashes or is she going to try a new plan all together since Gabby is not likely to stay behind if she knows where Xena is going. I really feel like that not dumping the ashes was not the problem - why did Xena have to die (so willingly at that) to begin with? If Yodoshi is so tough, then he will kill her in battle and she will end up in his service in that tea house. Xena will be in the exact same spot either way so she should not have died so quickly.
Jitka chapter 1 . 8/10/2010
THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL STORY I had ever read! I found it just yesterday and I was thriled by it! For first becouse its one option how they may continue if they will make a film (by the way does anyone knows something about it? Last I hear about a film was in 2003. Rob talked about film in Pasadena but from then I dont heard anything about it.)

And for the second I realy hated how this show ended! And I hated it becouse of all this things you wrote in this story to. I realy think it was unfair to Gabrielle! Of course everyone take it diferent but how you wrote, it was Xena who always said that theres always a choice! And those souls was free! For me Xena preferred Gabriells suffering before of hers. Xena can take some remorse. Affter all she lived with so many anyways. I simplifying it I know but how you wrote I doubted that Xena will be do the same for Gabrielle.

And you know what? I realy do not like Akemi. I totaly agree with you that all she was doing was using Xena. And twice! She was such a cutie, little girl! :o( Angelic face, those innocent big eyes! Aaah! Give me a break! She has Xena round ones finger. I just dont like her :o)

And I totaly agree with you in many other thing. 40000 souls are much. Sure, too much, but living she could help so many others! And I realy welcome that you mentioned this situation how Gabrielle must take care of Xenas death body! This scense makes me shiver every time I see it! And Ren play this scense so incredibly! So sincerly that I cant take a breath to. And I think that this must be for Gabby such a tortment! See Xenas body like that. Without head, this arrows outstanding hers body! Neverendig nightmare! Even if Xena will survive all of this, this will be hauntig Gabrielle for the rest of her live!

But I totaly loved your take of all this post FIN. Make Xena see hers mistake, even if it was realy hard and this Gabriells end was reeeealy crazy! Shocking! Almost cruel. And Xenas reaction was so heartbreaking. But the end! This new chance for Xena was so fantastic! I wish so much it was real!

Well, you may now have an idea that I realy like this story, but for sure, if you look throuhg :o) I LOVE THIS STORY! This story is amazing!
ideasofmany chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
Amazing story! This is exactly how FIN should have happened. You approached every single possible feeling that most fans of the series had towards Xena's decision and voiced it perfectly. For a short story you covered so many points and it was thrilling, exciting, and fulfilling. I've read your other work before on the Academyofbards site(Oil of Lanius). I am glad that you are on here as well so I can read more of your work and praise them :D. I had started a FIN story, but after reading this I don't know if I should bother finishing lol.
DarkMoroseXena chapter 1 . 11/10/2009
Really loved this story. Very emotionally satisfying.
jelpy1 chapter 1 . 9/29/2009
Wonderful story. It gave a realistic way for Xena to 'unring a bell' as it were. It showed Gabrielle's dreadful grief. You did a good job with the time. This story could have easily gone for several chapters, but it was very satisfying as a short story. Well done. I'm going to have to check out the rest of your stories.
sophiesinlove chapter 1 . 8/26/2009
Yes! Thank you for writing this, it definitely should have ended this way instead!
Silvermoonlight GJ chapter 1 . 8/27/2008
Beautiful bitter suite piece, I love how you went through the characters thoughts and feelings and showed a possible future which could be altered.

Also the scene between Xena and Gabrielle at the end was really well written.
k9mark4 chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
Cool. So, did Xena get sent back in time at the end?

This was a great story. Very well written. :)

Shawntail chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
that was a sad but beautiful story :)