Reviews for Thirty
cybercorpsesnake chapter 1 . 12/17/2014
Great one shot. Well written. Keep up the good work.
Concolor44 chapter 1 . 12/22/2013
Thirty is not "old". Thirty is "just getting your engine broken in".

Thirty was twenty-three years ago. And it was Seriously No Big Deal: I had so much else to do, so many other things taking up my time. Our first child was nine months old, and my wife was in a terrible state of post-partum depression. I was working 60-70 hours a week for a certifiable madman. Our nearest relative was thirteen hours away. The house we were in needed about a hundred grand worth of TLC to make it really livable. Yeah. Not much fun. We moved away from there the next year.

The year that really GOT me was 35. That was when my metabolism decided to fink out on me. Up to that point, I could eat anything I wanted and never vary more than three pounds away from 205 (I'm 6'4", so that made me relatively thin). In that one year my weight plateaued at 247, and it's never been below 240 since. I'm around 252 now, despite a very regular gym regimen.

As you may have observed, your story has made me think. It has made me consider things. And what I consider is this: life, in general, is pretty good. My two older kids are out on their own. (The two younger, insane ones will be gone in two years, and I'm patient). I'm still married to my best friend, I have a job I love, for which I am well-compensated and appreciated.

Seriously, life is good. Those poor, sad, wispy souls who can say with even a small amount of truth that high school was the best time of their lives? Pathetic. Pathetic and wrong. NOW is the best time of my life! NOW is when we get to live ... and we'd better not squander the opportunity.
Daki92 chapter 1 . 5/28/2011
It is a very deep story, provoking a lot of thought... Somehow, it makes me both dread 30 and look forward to maybe being happy and in a similar situation then
Muzzlehatch chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
It's been a while since I turned 30, but yeah, I think you've got the idea.
Rye-bread chapter 1 . 7/2/2009
Hitting 30 isn’t terminal-or 40-or even 55. What can be terminal-at least to marital happniss-is the gradual chill-the almost inevitable, almost imperceptible drift. It’s like Bonnie. That kind of self absorption is most insidious. And it can happen to the self depreciating as well as the self haughty
Thomas Linquist chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
If you're old at 30, what does that make me at 37?

A tale very well done, with a wife understanding of her husbands first love, but ready to accept all that he can give her. We should all be so lucky as that.
US.Steele chapter 1 . 8/2/2008
HA! I just turned 41! I'm still wondering where the time went...
Nftnat chapter 1 . 8/2/2008
Ah, yes, I remember hitting 30, five years ago. For me the big was 33, as it was the age Alexander the Great and Jesus Christ were when they died, then four months later it occurred to me that I was a third of a hundred. Talk about things hitting you. I keep thinking and talking about the way things were in 1984, 1988, when I was in single digits, etc. I'm counting on that song that says that age ain't nothin' but a number, although it's probably just a matter of time until my body starts telling me different.

This was a surprise. The TaRoniverse, in its various incarnations, is strong indeed, penetrating even to the premier purveyor of RonBon goodness himself. I'm glad to see the blonds having fun in family life and being truly happy and content, if a bit bittersweet.

Hmm, maybe I should look into this cheerleader contest...
traps chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
that was a good short story dude really enjoyed it, makes me look at the ever approching big 30 myself with a bit more of an open mind (27 and still single here)
LycoX chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
heh.. i got.. like another 8 or so years until I hit 30. Yay. And this was pretty nice. At first I was kinda expecting either Kim or Bonnie to be speaking. But it being Tara was a nice surprise.
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
Excellent one! Great job with Tara's thougths and her explaining the other cheerleaders' current lives.

Dementor... I wonder, if he was Kim and Ron's last main villain, that means Shego and Drakken retired for good? And how did Shego react to Kim's death? Maybe she helped Ron; Shego could handle all the henchmen so Ron could focus on the head villain.

Again, if you can, please reply via e-mail.

Keep the good writing.
Sentinel103 chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
Zaratan, Ah yes, I think I remember when I turned 30, heck now I'm getting close to 60. About the story, I can see Tara and Ron being together if something happened to Kim. Ron and Tara are content, and Tara is good with Ron still loving his Kim. Tara is going to make sure there is a Kim Stoppable in the world.

Thanks,

Larry (Sentinel 103)
Pharaoh Rutin Tutin chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
Amazing, Ron and Tara could feel Kim jellin from beyond the grave. At least for the first year or so.

Of course we should have known that nothing could keep Kimberly Ann Stoppable down. Not even death.

But to have KP killed off by Professor Dementor? You want us to beleive that the girl who could do anything was done in by a megalomaniac in a dress!
JPMod chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
You make it sound like hitting 30 is the half-way point when I thought 40 is the so-called 'over the hill' point. Least all the girls still have their beauty at 30, right? ;)

A nice little one-shot. Good work, man. :)
JAKT chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
Zaratan,

This is a very emotional story that finds the cheerleaders all working on their personal relationships and trying to come to terms with their feelings about turning thirty. You give the reader an opportunity to absorb the many different turns their lives have taken and to reassess the emotions they're feeling over this event.

Your writing is crisp and immerses the reader into the KP world unforced by the tragic event of the past. As usual your touch of humor serves to lighten the story a bit reminding us of how very human these characters are.

Moving life forward and finding happiness also adds to the story’s appeal.

Thoroughly engrossing and as usual, skillfully written - this makes for yet another terrific addition to your well-loved works.

This will be a tough act to follow but Dad says I’m up to your challenge. My entry is now in beta. I’m going solo on this contest so watch your back.

kt