Reviews for Absolution
Bushwah chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
How... I am awed by this fic, and fave number twenty-nine is on the same day as twenty-eight.
Annacat101 chapter 1 . 7/18/2010
Really nice. I love dark matsuda fics (and Light too! How can anyone not luv him?) But you have a few spelling errors. You wrote "rationalise and compartmentalise" instead of rationalize and compartmentalize.

But this was amazing, honestly. Real sad, and I loved the ending (and everything). XD
youroctober chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
-EDITS

-"he soon have learnt" I think here you meant to write "he soon would have learnt."

What, what, what. I don't know why you were hating on this in your author's note because I absolutely adored it. Does that make me strange? I kind of disliked the explanation you put at the end, because I don't feel you need to explain yourself for writing this. It was just great.

-LIGHT

Light is just portrayed so horribly beautifully here. I love the idea of him choosing Matsuda because he is malleable, and the entire concept of him being emotionally manipulative. They match up so well in this respect, and I don't feel it's AU, really. I could definitely see this happening.

-MATSUDA

Funny, because I've never been much of a Matsuda fan, but here it is just yes, yes, yes. The prayer he says at the end just brings it all together. I love/hate how much he drags himself down, calling himself stupid, bullying himself to be grown up, it just seems so realistic and in-character.

-PLOT

So together, with these two great characters you just tie it together and make it work. This is a really creative idea, one I've definitely never seen worked this way in the fandom, and as you can probably tell right now I'm just hopelessly in love with it. I can see your style at it is currently really coming together through this piece. So many great lines..."But there has never been a darkness that brings no ill" is so true and hit me hard. Another good one was "...he won't ever think the hungry, violent interludes entail anything." Such a great concept worded so well.

Definitely on my favorites list.
My American Fictionary chapter 1 . 8/26/2009
Well, I think it went great :-)

It's the first Light/Matsuda story I've read, but now I must say it'S odd that people don't throw them together more often. It really makes sense.

Thanks for a great read anyway!
Fenikkusu Ai chapter 1 . 6/21/2009
Perfect. All L/Matsuda fics should be like this. I like how you incorporated both characters' thoughts here. I'm just going to go read more of your writing now.
Karen chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
wow that was very well-written
mrsrocklee20 chapter 1 . 3/17/2009
Awesome job! im not a fan of this pairing, but if i didn't know the anime, i probably would be influnced into it! _
indigo's ocean chapter 1 . 2/1/2009
I'm a lazy ass but I really wanted to review one of your stories in thanks for the TOTALLY AWESOME review you gave me. (I'm not sure if you realized how totally awesome I thought it was from the rambling, way too long review reply...)

Regardless. I like this oneshot - like it a lot. Mostly because I have a hard time writing things this dark, but it's where my style has been veering as of late, and it's hard to see subjects like this done well. Usually angst and pain and anger and raw emotion are just basted onto the paper and while that's sometimes a good thing, sometimes you end up with too many cliches or (more usually) over the top ridiculousness that looks like it came from a really, really bad movie. And might have.

I also liked the way you characterized Matsuda and Light. It seems like something Matsuda would do, really - he always kind of reminded me of a puppy, the way he trails around and his eyes and all. And it was great how you twisted that trait so instead of something noble, it's something... not base, but... dangerous. Dangerous for him and for everyone because he refuses to open his eyes.

At the same time, it was really interesting how you had him put everything into a 'box' during the day, because that is really realistic (from what I've read and heard and all), and he does it so he can survive. Not so he can get rid of how he feels, but so he can keep going. I think. And the way Light manipulates that, exploits it... that's very like him.

I also loved the way you juxtaposed Light's careful, step-by-step reasoning with Matsuda's more vague point of view. It really helped define their characters. Matsuda's view is more dreamy, Light's is 'one-two-three' logic and is very characteristic of how I imagine him to be. How he was portrayed in the actual manga and all.

It was a really good, albeit twisted, story, and the fact that it was twisted made it even more interesting to read.

Whenever I give reviews like this I get the feeling I'm some how b.s.-ing everything so I'll wrap it up now. Lovely job.

indigo
YinYangWhiteTiger chapter 1 . 10/16/2008
I like Light XD

BUt MASTUDA MORE! I love this IC... it was amazing :) in my opion
keem chapter 1 . 9/18/2008
so i'm getting withdrawal's from lack of updated Bialy content, right? so i go back to skim other fics that ive previously overlooked. and then i'm like "hrmm, Light/Matusda..." and decide to click it and well.. wow. xD before i comment on the content itself, i've got to say, you've got an excellent hook here. 'there's a reason why Light keeps pouring his sins into Matsuda'. i mean, what an excellent way to draw someone in. i'm not shocked in the slightest that it piqued my interest; what shocks me is that i've managed to overlook it so many times before now xD

okay. so anyway. this is positively delicious. i like the back-and-forth contrasts between Matsuda's experiences and Light's rationalization. Light is such a twisto here, and i delight in the thought of him (physically D) manipulating innocent, malleable little Matsuda. i'm so used to being overwhelmed by the 3985743987329436 L/Light fics out there, so I like a foray into the unknown. this is definitely different, but entirely plausible, and i love it. the fandom should embrace this pairing more. it has so much potential!

did you borrow the title from a pretty little song by Muse, by chance? :3

great work!
AllAboardtheSSVNormandy chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
*blink blink*

Uhh... Good...

*decides not to comment further*

*decides that she HAS to*

O.o" Way too deep for me. And stuff. And... Light X Matsuda... Kinda... Weird... OH WELL! *goes back to being usual hyper self*
coteriedufromage chapter 1 . 8/9/2008
It's definitely not out of character; Light probably would rationalize a relationship with Matsuda that way, sneaky bastard. :D I love stories like this that make Matsuda more than just a stupid character but one wit hactual motivations. So yeah, it was a good read.
Maelstrom Sparrow chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
*Fell head-over-heels for the sales pitch* Only typical me, you say "I have a collection of 30 ficlets." I go, "SWEET!" and then upon reaching your page I instantly get distracted by the phrase "dark themes" -_-. For once I'm glad I'm a little ADD when it comes to fanfiction! :D

I feel very very very very terrible that a dark ficlet made me have a squealy Matsuda-fangirl moment, but it did. I think it was when you said "so Matsuda concludes, neatly and confidently, that it can only be his fault."

I'm a horrible person.

There's two things that sell a story to me - if it makes me laugh, or if it makes me think. This one was the latter. I go read again :3
Kudatsuo-chan chapter 1 . 8/3/2008
Yeah you are right. Light-kun is a manipulative bastard. _ I enjoyed this fic, and it did seem plausible in a canon/AU situation. Plus Matsu-tan does seem to be the type to compartmentalize stuff. Otherwise how could poor Matsu-tan stand all the crap that goes on in his life. Thank you for the intriguing read. And in some sick twisted way I kind of like the Light/Matsu pairing. *shakes head sadly at my twistedness* Anyhow,

Bye Bialy-chan!
Gamecrazy 25 chapter 1 . 8/3/2008
0_0

Whoa.

New material, somewhat alike situation, yet it all feels so new. Already I want to read it again! Definitely going on favorites!

Wow, I inspired this brilliant piece... My Light/Matsuda liking has done some good!

I know that some areas of Light just point to the fact that he's a bar stool, so exactly why do I like him? Maybe I'll just move to Mello and Klavier...

Light would have gone after Matsuda when faced with the choice of picking a task force member to manipulate. Think about it: Matsuda is totally loyal to Light so he wouldn't tell (if he believed it in the first place), he's less grown up than Aizawa, Ide, or Mogi, and other points you've made in the fic.

Wonderful fic!