Reviews for pennyroyal tea
WitchWolf chapter 2 . 12/1/2008
I think I remeber reading this one (or the draft, at least) quite a while ago. And I remember iking it even back then. "Freedom in rags" as I dubbed it in my head.

I'm a sucker for the 'consequences' and 'freedom' themes as it is. Here, however, what I find most enjoyable is the fact that even in your "young Artemis" stories you're keping him so much in character (unlike RAS does...). Seems to me like he still cared about some things in his teen days here, or at least, was aware or allowed himself to feel strongly about soemthing. Later on, he stopped, but the ultimate desire for freedom and doing things always and only on his own terms stayed. I'm so enjoying seeing how that line of his personality begum to form. And here, I think you're showing it great.

But the one sentence that'll stay with me from this one? "Stars were as useless as mothers"
chair-chan chapter 1 . 8/23/2008
Oops...just realized that you're not on my author alerts list! Oh no!

Okay, all I have to say is...wow! I love your style in this story! Everything was so vivid and clear. This is how Faerun should be portrayed! It's a desperate, dangerous world, and you captured that with amazing clarity. It's a place populated with broken and tired people, not happy, careless inhabitants. :) You got that.

And I love how Artemis slams the door-an action usually entirely ooc-and how it seems in keeping with his character in the story, what with the explanation you've given. I love the explanation, too. _ It's so true, lol.
Ariel D chapter 1 . 8/12/2008
As usual, lovely insights, description, and similes. (Sorry for the crappy, short review. Carpal tunnel.)
Lord Onisyr chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
For starters, I have to just tell you of the complete glee I had when seeing you posted something. On a purely sentimental level, I have to say I really missed your writing; this is just pure awesome and almost makes me nostalgic for another time, oh about three years ago maybe when canon wasn't as overworked and we all had so many new ideas.

Anyway, this was fabulous. The narrative just sucked me in and the descriptions are so vivid. You could see everything as it happened, really understood all of Artemis' observations. I adore that twist you had at the end, when he decides their best punishment is essentially staying alive. The emotions were so well presented too, the feelings of someone who would rather have no emotions but old scars are deep. This version of events is much better than the canon version, makes much more sense.

OK, gushing over. Just so happy to see this.
WitchWolf chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
One day late with the review... Whoops.

What do I say to this one that I haven't told you already? Perhaps I'll start by saying that this final version reads ever so smoothly. I know how much this one bucked and refused to yield, so take the compliment for all it's worth now. ;)

More to the point, I really enjoyed the myriad of feelings that naturally flowed one into (and through) another as the story progressed: The calm, calcualted surface and all the things boiling beneath.

Also, the new paragraphs, the further details revealed, the "memories" if you will, are spot-on. They round the whole thing perfectly.

Some sentences of notice (and it was a hard choice, picking out just a few):

"It was, to his thinking, not unlike a silk drop cloth covering maggot-ridden refuse."

"...the details of his death were dancing on the fiery tips of rage’s harsh teeth."

"The woman who offered babes up for sacrifice to her husband and pennyroyal wore her misery like a funeral shroud."

And my personal favorite, but for some otehr reasons entirely. (wink): "At one time shadows had been sought for refuge, now they were used for ambush."

Finally, I kinda expected this sort of ending, but the way of coming to the ephphany was just... beautiful to read. Again, it came about so naturally, but when I compare it to the original emotion(s) from the begnning of the piece, only then do I realize just how long a mental road had been walked in relatively short time.

On a side note, I don't remember ever seeing that LE short piece. And LE *is* hard on the eyes. So... yeah, there *is* interest, in case you're wodnering. Whenever you get more net time, do upload.
MysticForce chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
Interesting insight into the motivations of a younger Artemis. I really like your stories, hope to see more! :)

What other stories do you have on LE? I'll go read them, even though it's hard on the eyes to read anything on that site.