Reviews for A Lesson for Beginners
Enkidu07 chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
Love it! I love John too and I can only hope that his heart was in the right place even if he didn't always think things through all the way...
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
OM...GAH!

GOH!

WOOWW! hun...

*THUD*

*DIES*

omfg...sorry bout that, but wow darlin...hats off to you, standing ovation i'll be sure to leave you flowers!

ahha

LOL

omg hun...

this was incredable.. it totally got John nailed hun!

you showed us how even though he loved his sons he did it FOR them and to protect them as much as himself and you've really shown that hun

aw

you made me hate john when he went off like that with Dean, and then... just when im thinking Dean please hit the guy, you show us and explain just WHY he did it... AW hun

aw its so beaitiful hun

i swear to god, do you have them all in your house and they tell you their most inner secrets and character info

cos this was so spot on, i have sworn on by kripke at the bottom hun ehhe

LOL

now i know why John has done a lot what hes done on the show for the boys... and yep! Dean got the role of daddy...aw

poor john...

sam is different.. your right hun

you made this fic beautiful hun

awesome x

LOVED IT

btw- sorry about not being online a lot for the CWESS i'll try and get logged on a bit more hehe

LOl

x

thanks hun xx
TammiTam chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
Oh girl, this story is just stunning. One of your best! I'm so glad you decided to write it, and the ending is just stunning!
Harrigan chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
I liked this - a LOT! I found your portrayal of John just as I envision him too, and look forward to enjoying more of your fic.

I appreciate nice, careful prose that show the author respects his/her readers enough to make sure the spelling and grammar and word selections didn't cause any stumbles. And I especially like authors who either post complete fic or who post chapters more than 20 words and update frequently.

You're a rare breed!
gidgetgal9 chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
Another wonderful one-shot girl! I absolutely adored it and I have to say I think it so fits character. Our passions sometimes blind us, and I think John's passion to keep the boys safe and to prepare them for the evil in the world sometimes blinded him to the important family bonding that needs to take place as a child grows up. Boy that was a long sentence! Anyhoo- loved this to pieces!

Oh and I'm reading Kokoda2007 birthday fic for you - it's great and I wanted to wish you a happy b-day or if it's happened a happy belated b-day! :0) Claudia
ROBINV chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
I love John Winchester very much, but I know he was flawed and screwed up after Mary's terrible death. I cut him lots of slack for that. He loved his sons desperately, but he wanted to protect them, and since he was a Marine, felt the only way to do that was to train them to protect themselves. I can easily imagine something exactly like this happening, with serious consequences and a total change in dynamic amongst the Winchesters. Great story! Love, Robin
Thorny Hedge chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
"Maybe it wasn’t Sam who had things to learn. Maybe it had been him all along."

Honestly! sheesh!
carocali chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
Really nice tag, and I can totally see this thing happening. Sam isn't the soldier that Dean is, and John would want to prepare Sam for the moment exactly like this. Only, he hadn't expected things to go so terribly wrong.

If you get a moment, read the new comics as well. John is NOT a horrible person - he just doesn't get how to really be a father. He wants revenge, and he wants to protect his boys, and because there is no woman's touch to do so, he's missing the important parts of parenting. His judgement is clouded.

I especially like your last, thoughtful paragraph about how and when he actually lost Sam as a son!

:D

Caroline
Trish62 chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
This was a nice piece. I watched a bit of the pilot the other day, and I think your John is spot on. I don't think he was cruel, just obsessed and desperate to save his boys from evil. Anyway, liked this, but then again, I love a limpSam story!
friendly chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
nice job.. that was good.. I liked the way you wrote john.. it was good..
supernaturaldh chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
Awesome story as usual. You see John just as I do, a dad, but also to engrossed on the hunt to really apply parenting skills in the best possible way. I loved it.
skag trendy chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
This was bl*oody excellent mate! First class!

I'm a fan of John's myself and yes this is a great example of one of his well intentioned mistakes, and I could easily see why Sam doesn't trust John's instincts anymore, which I think is highlighted in Dead Man's Blood during their row on the side of the road. (I think that's the right episode, or have I got that wrong?)

Kind regards,