Reviews for Houses of the Holy
Orange Spiral 62 chapter 12 . 11/8/2012
Really good akatsuki fic. :)
Haven't read such a good one in a long time. Please update soon.
USERNAME UNAVAILABLE -REFRESH chapter 12 . 11/3/2012
This is one of the most interesting stories I've read in awhile. I'm not particularly inclined to write more than a few sentences for a review but since Houses of the Holy has intrigued me, I suppose I might as well do so.

Your writing style is pleasant. Things are not overly drawn out nor are they too short.

HotH is very well paced and for that I have to give you brownie points. I really enjoy the interaction Naruto has with the Konoha ninja as well as the Akatsuki members. It adds on to my admiration of your version of Naruto.

I also believe that you shouldn't worry about your ability to write battle/combat scenes. You do them rather nicely, in fact.

While I don't read many hetero fics as I'm predominantly a slash fan that doesn't stop me from liking well-written stories that have Naruto paired up with a woman. I'm very happy to have stumbled upon this gem of a story.

(On a slightly different note, thank you for not having Naruto paired up with several women. I honestly cannot comprehend why Naruto seems to have so many harem fics and I don't find them appealing. I see too many where Naruto has half a dozen to a dozen girlfriends or wives.)

I've enjoyed reading this and I am eagerly awaiting your next update. Thanks again!

FreelanceBum chapter 12 . 10/22/2012
:( Worst person ever for not finishing, etc.

However I knew that going in, enjoyed the story.
FreelanceBum chapter 9 . 10/22/2012
Anko laughed morbidly. "I can't blame the tigers for that. I wouldn't put anything that Orochimaru got his scaly hands on near my mouth either."

I guess she isn't a thumb sucked anymore. I'll show myself out now...
FreelanceBum chapter 7 . 10/22/2012
Truly a well done epic fight. This is one of the few that I didn't just skim, as I hate FF fight scenes normally. Done well enough that I could see why both are SS ranked shinobi without either going overboard into godliness.
FreelanceBum chapter 5 . 10/22/2012
Found you off of the DLP forums. I feel kind of bad going this far without getting a review, but it is super annoying to log into on my tablet which is where I do most of my reading.

I like Hanzou in your story, although I thought he did more fire stuff due to "Salamander" moniker. Manipulating the freezing point with chakra is an amusing way to do that, and leads to all sorts of awesome technique possibilities, depending on how far you take it.

This is the first Naruto joins akasuki story I've liked in years, the only other one that comes to mind is A New Cause which is incredibly out of date, and I remember liking it less my second read through.

I don't have more to say on this as it isn't really far enough into the plot to really say anything.
Wizco chapter 12 . 10/17/2012
Crummy place to stop writing, I was getting all psyched up.

Space Jam Sandwich chapter 12 . 10/16/2012
This is one of the best strong naruto fics I have found. He is smart and strong, but it is believable as well. I look forward to future chapters!
Ben chapter 12 . 10/15/2012
This is great! I like how you've wrote the characters and how you're having the plot progress. Please keep going!
Fiendfluyd chapter 12 . 10/13/2012
Pity this fic's long dead and doesn't look to be Edo Tensei'd anytime soon. I suppose you let it go in large part due to the canon clashes that have occurred in the months since you began this story, though for whatever it's worth, I couldn't give less of a damn. The biggest conflicts seem to be Hanzo's powerset and the abilities of his summon Ajisuke (aka Ibuse), but it would be relatively simple to rework the relevant chapters (and handwave Naruto being able to eventually fight in the poison fog due to an immunity developed through a combination of controlled exposure and accelerated Kyuubi healing).

Even if you chose not to retcon your version of Hanzo/Ajisuke, I doubt many people would care, because frankly your version of Hanzo was more epic than the weakened husk that we got in canon, and I like the idea of the elemental-based Ajisuke better than the poison-based Ibuse. Canon Ibuse is at once too broken and too weak; the massive AOE poison mist is an instant KO for 99.9% of anyone Naruto could come up against, and yet the summon itself isn't that strong or smart and got its head cleaved in two by Mifune like a total chump. All in all, Ajisuke gets my vote.

Perhaps there were other considerations, such as Nagato/Konan/Yahiko's backstory, but I'm not sure how that would have caused this fic to completely stall out, since you've revealed so little of their backstory anyway in HotH that it would be easy to work in more canon. The only canon clash that springs immediately to mind here is the fact that Nagato is an Uzumaki, and that Tobi/Madara somehow gave Nagato his Rinnegan. And yet, here again I wouldn't mind if you just ran with your own version while giving the finger to canon, because canon has been slowly going down the shitter anyway with its progressively worsening doujutsu obsession and worship of the past.

(Seriously, must EVERYTHING tie back to magical eyeballs and the legacy of the Sage of Six Paths? I couldn't care less about that guy, yet Kishimoto keeps riding his dick. The Sage has no character, he died a long time ago, and it's depressing how everyone in the series keeps looking backward into ancient history in an attempt to recreate the bygone glory of the Sage. What about progression? What about the future? What about innovation and creativity? At this rate, Minato is one of only respectable shinobi left. Here's a guy who was born without magical eyeballs or miracle wood and just didn't give a shit. He forged his own path, relied on his own inventive genius to develop the sealing arts to a level never seen before, and kicked everyone's ass the whole time. The villains of the Naruto series should have been evil Minatos. Instead, we get a bunch of stagnant pissants living in the past, obsessed with some dead guy's eyeballs. Jesus.)

So in conclusion, I would encourage you to continue this story should you ever find the time and even the tiniest bit of inclination, despite the fact that it's been three years since the last update. I respect the fact that you want to hew as close to canon as possible, but what's the fun of writing fanfiction if you don't take the opportunity to IMPROVE on faulty aspects of canon, or make your own way once in a while? Sometimes canon just sucks, you know? And this was such a great story while it lasted. Your Pain and Konan were well developed and sympathetic while believably retaining their canon characterization. Your Naruto was recognizably himself, simply stronger and understandably harsher in some ways due to his different upbringing, which led to often fascinating clashes with his age-peers (e.g. Gaara - I'm still sitting over here in absolute suspense, wondering whether or not whether your Naruto would have permanently maimed or even killed Gaara, or somehow gotten a lesson through his thick sandstone skull). No bashing, superb fight scenes, good grammar and high quality of writing overall.

Yeah, it's a real shame this fic succumbed to writer's block, real life, or whatever it was.
Guest chapter 12 . 10/13/2012
u dead
ChocoRay chapter 12 . 10/10/2012
'Then she blinked as his last words sank in. "Fifty fucking ryo?" '
LOL. that was funny. and when naruto summoned the salamander, it was an epic moment.
ChocoRay chapter 11 . 10/10/2012
your naruto huh? well i like him.
ChocoRay chapter 4 . 10/10/2012
Really good fic. the pace is good, not rushed and not too long.
mndstjohn chapter 12 . 9/1/2012