Reviews for Reward Enough
hpsupernaturalfan chapter 1 . 11/6/2008
You were right Kaitlin. I did enjoy this one as well. Unlike the other one where the town wasn't necassarily hostile towards them, just a little leery of them, these townsfolk were kinda hostile. And how the ones that came out of the portal helped save Sam since he had saved them.

I also liked how Sam didn't like waking up alone either and it was Dean near him that made it feel familiar and home almost instantly, same as it is for Dean.
fearlessgoddess2 chapter 1 . 8/20/2008
I really liked the bit you described about how important it was for Sam and Dean to have each other when they woke up in a different place. The fact that they move around so much, it makes sense that it would be confusing and that the only thing they have that stays the same is each other. It was very sentimental and sweet, yet still Winchester-like. :)
twinchaosblade chapter 1 . 8/12/2008
What a marvellous, captivating and suspenseful story! It held a great character study for Dean and I can't help but understand that their job can be frustrating like this from time to time. I'm glad to see some of his belief in good restored; it's overdue sometimes.

I really liked Sammy trying to balance out some of Dean's mood; they compliment each other so well, whatever the other needs. Then Sam trying to keep the portal open in order to give the victims a chance at returning into their own place was a great read and something Sammy would totally pull off, no matter the consequences for him. And of course it would break Dean's heart time and again to see his brother exhaust and sacrifice himself to save everyone.

And it was such a neat treat that the rescued villagers turned around and selflessly saved Sammy from the closing portal. You have no idea how much I cheered for them! Plus I was very happy to see the other townspeople throw their unfounded suspicions over board and feed the Winchesters during their stay. (Although with their bottomless pits as stomachs, they don't know what they got themselves into...)

That was an awesome idea for a supernatural event and a ritual to be held as a solution for the disappearances. The writing was also superb. Well done!
PsychicWonderKitty chapter 1 . 8/12/2008
Wow, I know I've long since begun to sound like a broken record here, but once again, I LOVED IT! Where do I start? The beginning, I guess, LOL. Great choice of subject to delve into, the constant mistrust, ungratefulness, and often times downright danger that the boys have to face from the ppl they're trying to help. Such a sad yet true part of their lives, but yep, of course the straw that breaks Dean's tolerance is gonna be Sam having been threatened. His wariness and weariness towards the townspeople, and his 'guard dog' attitude toward those who looked at or reacted to his baby bro the wrong way were so resonant...you could just feel his exhaustion and his fears, but at the same time, also his love in the ways he looked at Sam, looked out for Sam, and in his heartfelt thoughts and statements about his big-brother need to do so...very well-written.

And then there's said baby bro, absolute classic Sam, forgiving and working to see past the townsfolks' negative attitudes...trying his hardest to help Dean do the same b/c he sees how much Dean is being worn down by it all, reminding his big bro that sibling support goes both ways, and gently so out of consideration for the difficult headspace Dean had been sinking further into with each show of civilian hostility. Taking care of his older brother emotionally just as much as he takes care of Sam physically...perfectly portrayed. No wonder Dean felt incomplete until the 'missing piece' that was his Sammy came back into his life. And I loved how that sentiment helped solve the mystery.

Very interesting and creative case with the portal, the patterns behind it, and the ritual needed to close it. I didn't realize at the first time I read, but awesome symbolism with the requirement of the olive branch in the ritual...little did we or Dean know that there would be the proverbial olive branch extended b/t him and the townsfolk before the case - and the portal - was closed. My heart simultaneously sped up and swelled when Sam threw himself into the opening as a doorstop so that everyone could get out - so selfless and again, just so SAM, and I so loved it - only to break as he rapidly grew too weak to stand and Dean was forced to realize there was no way to save his little brother without killing them all. But ultimately it soared with the wonderful full-circle closure of the townsfolk, the ppl they were trying to rescue, rescuing Sam in return and restoring Dean's faith in humanity. The gift of Sam's life and that replenished faith were no doubt the greatest reward and gratitude Dean could ever receive. I misted up when he thanked each one of them as he cradled Sam close, and when, in the numbing wake of having almost lost him, he carried his baby bro out of the field...such an AWESOME brother moment!

Loved all the brother moments, loved that the portal victims were saved, loved that they saved Sam, loved how they left food and treated the boys so nicely from then on out, loved Dean's tenderness toward his literally 'drained' little bro at the end, and I loved how Sam was grateful to them not just for saving his life, but bringing back the brother he knew as well. In short, just plain LOVED it all! You continue to please and amaze and for that, WE are grateful to YOU! :-)
FluffNutter chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
Loved this (what else is new)! Your characterization of Dean is dead on as always - angry at poor treatment but unable to deal with good treatment. Poor thing. He really is a mess, isn't he?
gidgetgal9 chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
The portal was definitely an interesting concept and a creepy way to disappear! Lots of wonderful brotherly moments here to enjoy - and I did! :0)
faith-in-Faith chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
I totally loved this :) I loved Dean's always present protectivness against Sam, but I also loved how tuned Sam was to Dean in this one. How he did his "little brother" job perfect for ones - well except for the putting himself at risk part...

And I loved that Dean got his gratetude in the end. Perfect story and interesting and different plot. I love the unik hunts you send them on!

And ones again, thanks for making my day! :D

Favorite lines:

“No.” Sam smiled in that way that always made a faint flush of embarrassment creep up Dean’s neck. “You’re not, but you do get…creative sometimes.”

Dean shoved him toward their bag of supplies. “I’ll show you creative,” he muttered. “Get started, Einstein.”

“They were ready to shoot you, Sam. They wouldn’t have liked me if we’d stayed.”

"That shut him up for another hundred miles."
JazzyIrish chapter 1 . 8/9/2008
I enjoyed this story very much. It's hard to believe that people would treat our boys that way, but we know they do - especially in small towns, I guess.

I liked the "tear in space" thing (but then I'm an X-Files girl), but can't believe Dean forced himself to continue the ritual when Sam's very existence was at stake.

You really do have these boys' voices down perfectly. The entire dialogue sounded just like them. Thanks for sharing another of your wonderful stories with us. *you are going to spoil us, you know* ;) Until next time...
mommypenguinhd chapter 1 . 8/9/2008
Thank you, Hon, once again for a wonderful story! I love the image of Dean cradling an unconscious Sam in that field - his little brother returned to him, his faith in humanity restored. A truly classic Dean moment! Thanks again!
tanpopo no hana chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
Ah.. *happy sigh* Thanks for making Dean smile again :) And his embarrassment at being found out is just so cute! It makes me want to pinch his cheek *g*

I was really unsure where you were going with this and was more than a little afraid you'd have them chased out of another town. I guess I should have more faith in you
Twinchy chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
Sweet and heart-warming story. I have to admit it really touched me that this time around the towns-people acutally got around and restored some of the brothers' belief in the worth of what they were doing.

Both brothers are paying the price in so many ways for saving lives all the time. They deserve some help (and gratitude) once in a while. I can understand though why they'd feel uncomfortable with the attention, despite their being tired of the suspicion and hostility.

I'm also pretty fond of the imaginative phenomenion you dug up as the disappearances' cause and the solution thereof.
Phx chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
You already know how much I enjoyed this story but I just wanted to say how much I love seeing Sam trying to bolster Dean in. His gentle understanding of how his brother was being drowned in the attitudes on the very people they are trying to help and his willingness to shoulder Dean's disheartened spirit was so sweet. Sam is such a good little brother...

Ooh but I actually got chills when Sam used his own body to keep the portal open only collapsing as the last person got out, as Dean was helpless to do anything except their job. And then when Sam collapsed and those strangers, those people the brothers were trying to save, grabbed Sam and pulled him away from the hole? Aw, my faith in the goodness of mankind was restored. but more importantly so was Dean's.

Kati, I have no idea how you continue to do this, but your stories are a marvel and you spoil us so wonderfully :)

Thank you.
Zaphire chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
Sorry it took so long to review. really loved the story, loved how everyone got involved in the end, i think this would of been like a great episode for season 2.
IheartSam7 chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
Crying here for so many reasons. Not the least of which is this:

A hand, rough in texture and gentle in touch, circled his wrist. “You’re okay, Sammy.”

Dean.

And just like that, he was okay.

*sniff sniff sniff*

You turned me into a blubbering idiot this time. For some reason, this made me extremely emotional.

Nice piece.
PADavis chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
I was traveling (for work, dang it) yesterday and today, and just had time to read the story twice. Beautiful, deft, evocative, and touching. Thank you so very much for another gorgeous story.

Phoebe