Reviews for Reward Enough
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
Again another outstanding fic from you! Could see why Dean was tired and fed up with the hostility they received from strangers and a general lack of thanks for what they do, especially as Sam was threatened during their last hunt. Sam, as usual, more laid back and understanding why the townspeople were like that, losing members of their community in odd circumstances and suddenly strangers turn up.

Awesome hunt, how original a portal, and loved how Sam's meticulous research found out how to close it for good. Just loved as how they were performing the ritual the missing townsfolk reappeared one by one, and so typical of Sam putting himself in danger to keep the portal open until they all returned.

So heartwarming that as Dean finished the ritual the released people grabbed hold of Sam to drag him to safety, not only saving the younger Winchester but showing their gratitude for what they had done!

And there was no more apt way for the town to show their appreciation as Sam was recuperating than by giving the boys food!

Superb ending, the previously unfriendly diner welcoming them with open arms, wonderful that for once their efforts were appreciated. And so typical of Dean to find a new hunt in Las Vegas - haunted slot machines, whatever next!
irismay42 chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
I'm really enjoying your season 1-set stories. They kind of seem somehow uncomplicated compared to season 3! I think the show was still finding its feet and never really got the chance to examine what it was like for the boys to suddenly be thrown back together again after so long apart, so it's nice to see it done in fan fic! And it was even nicer to suddenly see someone grateful for what they'd done!
carocali chapter 1 . 8/7/2008
It's fun how a simple line can inspire an entire story; an awesome one at that!

I love that Dean is so mad that people give Sam the stink-eye. They don't understand what they do, and their brains will probably melt if they actually knew the whole truth. But not to thank them? Not cool. Dean's right on the mark.

But this story took such an interesting twist. Again, I love how the research in the hunt is just as vital, if not moreso, than the actual hunt. Who would've thought a portal? And how wonderful that the people got out! I wonder if they saw the other people trapped from ninety years ago... eww!

And the baskets of food? There's really one other way to make Dean happier (well, maybe two) so he was in all his glory.

And they thanked him. Which is really all he wanted in the first place!

:D
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
I enjoyed this story. I like how the brothers worked the mystery and we got to see what they were thinking since reuniting four months ago.

I loved Dean's speech about being a brother and Sam's feeling of safety when Dean told him "everything's okay."

I always like how well the brothers work together. Dean may tease Sam about being a research geek brother, but love how proud he is of him.

You always do such a good job of reminding the readers that Dean is smart too, such as when he found the pattern in your story.

It was nice that Dean's faith in people was restored by the end, that the town was saying thank you in their own way and that Sam had the brother he knew back again.

Thanks for sharing another story with us.
TraSan chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
I speed read through this, this morning - too impatient to wait until tonight. Now, however, that I had time to actually read it - it was worth going back!

I liked Dean's not so foreign now, sentiment that he was tired, the hunt getting to him a little bit as they were met time after time with open hostility, a portion of that more for what it did to Sam than himself.

And I love how you had Dean put together the pattern and form the triangles. Dean seems to be a cracker jack at patterns/puzzles. We saw that in Shadows with the blood splatters.

Sam's inate geekiness that not only Dean loves (do love me some Smart Sammy) and I really appreciated that he tried to cajole, wangle and strong-arm a confession from Dean about how he was feeling and why.

The fact that the boys were heroes and for a change were acknowledged as such, warmed my heart. And of course - you absolutely rock at comfort and Big Bro Dean in comfort mode to a tired, exhausted Sam was just awesome.

Thanks for writing (and sharing).
Landwing chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
Very good stuff. I kind of know how Dean feels. I work as a respiratory therapist at a largish hospital, and sometimes family members of patients I treat look at me like I caused their relative's condition. The worst ones are the hyper-worried family members, who want to know every little detail about what I'm doing in the room, even the technical stuff, and then get even more worried-and therefore angry and upset-when it still doesn't make sense to them. And telling them I'm trying to make the patient's breathing easier only seems to draw out the proverbial guns. They want an instant cure or nothing, and anything else is just worthless to them. But that's only some of the time. The poor boys get stuck with that sort of sentiment most of the time. Still, it was a really good story. Reminded me a bit of Madeline L'Engle and her ecthroi and having to undo the damage they caused. Very good stuff, indeed.
Elliesmeow chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
Cute.

-Ellie
staceycj chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
Wow, this one was something I didn't exactly expect from you. I don't know why either.

I like the concept that it bothers Dean that people don't like him, or mistrust him when he comes into a town. But I guess really and truly that was illustrated in Scarecrow. But still i never really put much thought into that.

Fantastic concept and lovely writing as always. Great job!
calcium77 chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
I loved this story so much! I always love when Sam puts himself in danger to save others. Your stories rock :-)

kat
Visionairy chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
We're so lucky to have you posting twice a week! Can you please continue to do that for the next few years?

This was another great story! I'm glad they were able to save the missing people, but once again, my favorite part of the story is your amazing descriptions of the interactions between Sam and Dean. I liked the lines, “You’re okay, Sammy.”

Dean. And just like that, he was okay.
DontKnowMyName chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
AWE Gosh Dean carrying Sam. Seriously think that was the best image ever hahaha. Awesome job yet again. ). Can't wait till your next story!
RedDragen chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
A wonderful short story, I liked it
authoressnebula chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
Okay, I could list for quite some time why this is such an awesome fic, but I might hurt your ears after the first half hour or so. ~_

Seriously, though: from Dean being world weary and Sam being the one to coax him into taking a step into others' shoes, to the easy bantering and Dean's heartfelt speech coming so close to losing Sam (oh DEAN), to Sam saving the people and them saving him, and you top it off with a happy ending-

I'm flailing. Seriously. You ROCK.

And I finally got caught up and got a chance to read the one from Sunday, and even more glee! You rock so much awesomeness. _

~Nebula
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
AWW

you totally get under the shows story hun, about how anything and everything effects them and this is awesome, never been done and very realistic to what they must face

its nice to see such an awesome writer take on this...

loved it hun

loved how you twisted it around too

LOVED IT!
charis-kalos chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
The rescuees drawing Sam back through the portal had me tearing up - it was beautiful. And since you referenced Peter Parker, I hope you won't mind if I say it reminds me of the crowd carrying Peter after he stops the train in Spiderman 2. Lovely example of one hero (or in this case two heroes) inspiring others to be heroic as well. Really enjoy, as always in your stories, the brotherly love. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! Thank you.
58 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »